Eico HF-30 rebuild and mod questions...

gkargreen

howdy, just picked up a pair of these (the 6AV6/6C4 model) that are in pretty ratty shape, but everything is there and restorable. Was wondering if there is any info or suggestions for rebuilding and/or modding these amps to get the best I can out of them, they will have to be taken apart quite a bit just to get back to running condition and figured if there is any thing I can do to improve performance I should just incorporate along the way, thanks!

I recently picked up a single Eico hf-22 and all I did was replace the powersupply caps and electrolytics {orange drops},all voltages checked out per schematic and ive been running it as a bedroom mono setup with one of my IMF als40ii speakers.Mine is an integrated mono amp and its clear to me these have wonderfull Iron,clean ,punchy detail!Bonus for me all the tubes tested well into the green.
If I was in your situation id do the same with yours.Get your tubes tested first making sure all are good then proceed with recap.
good luck with those wonderfull little amps!

hunter

Thanks, Hunter, I have some concerns with the PS caps, from the schematic the 4-section can is paralleled into two poles, and the biasing is cathode rather than fixed. I prefer fixed as I can use unmatched tubes and adjust for proper balance, that is two things I would like to do to these amps...

You could do the EFB mod by Dave Gillespie on this forum and there is lot's of info
on the Tronola site and Fisher forum on AK.

It allows fixed bias and individual tube adjustment if you wish for very low cost. It can help
the sonics also as it floats with the B+ which a regular fixed bias does not.

:lurk: I have two HF 22's and a HF 20. Good luck with your amp. I am just doing the paint right now, as I get up to speed on the under the hood work.

Back
Top Bottom