eico hf-81 can cap values?

k**rkleclaire

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
this question has probably been done to death but I'm replacing the can cap in my rebuild and have read conflicting opinions on upping the uF values of the original 40-40-20 uF can cap...on the cautious side I could go with a 50-50 uF can with an additional 50 uF underneath ....or go all out and do a 100-100uF with a 50 uF underneath, Question: any danger in going whole hog? can you more than double the uF here, these can cap sections come after the first two 30uF sections that are after the rectifier, thanks!
Kirk

Have you considered a 40-20-20-20 can cap? Combine 2 of the 20's and you'll have 40-40-20.

Have you considered a 40-20-20-20 can cap? Combine 2 of the 20's and you'll have 40-40-20.
I have considered that, but the JJ 50-50 (or 100-100) is so much cheaper...and I'm looking to improve the performance by upping the values, but by how much???

I don't really think using 50-50 is a problem. Since 40uf is not exactly a standard so 47uf can be a good substitute. Another 3uf over that would be 50 which is not the end of the world. Just be careful of upping too much capacity or you could load up your rectifier tube.

I don't really think using 50-50 is a problem. Since 40uf is not exactly a standard so 47uf can be a good substitute. Another 3uf over that would be 50 which is not the end of the world. Just be careful of upping too much capacity or you could load up your rectifier tube.
thanks....I know some guys use a modern Hammond tranny replacement so maybe that is why some are upping the uF ..or in the world of modern lytics tolerances are + or -10% to 50%...well that's a lot of leeway!
Cheers,
Kirk

JJ makes a 40-20-20-20 for about $15.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=C-EC40-20X3-500

You will need to enlarge the opening in the chassis for the wider can.

For the caps underneath I used an F&T 32/32 to save some space.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/moreinfo@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?item=C-EM33-33-450
That 32/32 looks good for the first two sections underneath, but I'm not concerned about where to get a can cap my main issue is: on upping the uF values, do you think 100uf/ 100uF/ 50 uF is too much?
cheers,
Kirk

Trolling through some threads at the Eico Fan Club I found this from member Dan......"RE: [eico] Re: Rebuilding an HF-81

I usually use a JJ 100uf/100uf at 500v plus add another 100uf or larger 250v under the chassis for the phono.

A 3 section ones are usually in the $30-40 range and still don’t have the capacity of the JJ, where the JJ and a clamp plus under the chassis cap is under $15.

This sounds good...thanks for all the responses!
Cheers,
Kirk

Kirk -- Dan is one of the best at rebuilding Eico gear. He does up the capacitance -- but I believe only at the screen, line/tone stage, and phono preamp sections. The cap at the rectifier output should remain similar to the original to protect the rectifier tubes during any hot switching incidents. 50 mfd is fine at that location, but I would go no higher.

Dave

Kirk -- Dan is one of the best at rebuilding Eico gear. He does up the capacitance -- but I believe only at the screen, line/tone stage, and phono preamp sections. The cap at the rectifier output should remain similar to the original to protect the rectifier tubes during any hot switching incidents. 50 mfd is fine at that location, but I would go no higher.

Dave

Thanks, I'm going with stock on the first two sections (30uF) I should have gone a little larger but I've already ordered my caps, I went with 100/100/100uF on the rest......
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom