Eico HF-81

Discussion in 'Eico Place' started by LuckyLyndy, May 7, 2016.

1. LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy New Member

I'm looking for a splined shaft knob (pot) to replace the power/treble one on my Eico. A friend is restoring it for me, and says it is broken. Won't power on/off correctly, and when on...if you move the treble control up a bit, power goes off, up a bit more, power comes on.

I wrote to Michael Percy, and this was his response:
    Does anyone have one, or access to getting one? I was just going to use a surge protector, and power on and off with that, but this may be more of a problem.

I really like the way this fellow cleaned up his unit, but he does say he bought several "parts only" units to complete his finished one. That would be too expensive a route for me
    http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

2. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Those controls were a PITA from day one, so I wouldn't expect a replacement donor part to be a long term solution.

Antique Electronics does stock a MONO switch that works ...
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/R-VS-500KA

But not a similar combo control for STEREO. They DO have one that works for the treble ...
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/R-VA2X500KL

But it needs a shaft extension AND you need to add a flipper switch for power. I emailed AE a while back and they weren't aware of anyone who still makes a control that would be an exact replacement.

In your case, I'd try jumping the power connection and see if the treble still works properly. If so, bypass the power permanently to a flipper switch and continue to use the original control for treble.

3. cademan

cademan Addicted Member

Depending on the inconvenience factor, a power strip is ok to use in a pinch.

Maybe give us a picture of your treble control with its ohm rating. I have a lot of that kind of stuff up the ying yang! :D

4. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Problem being ... if the original power switch has gone intermittent, it can still cause short cycling, which kills amps. By all means, use a power strip if you like, but DO bypass the original switch.

I would NOT use the amp until this is taken care of!

5. k**rkleclaire

k**rkleclaire AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

Thanks for this link. It looks a useful resource run by a nice guy.

7. primosounds

primosounds Single ended KT66/KT88 with 6SL7 or 6SN7 driver Subscriber

I have some on off switches that are attached to a pot but i would have to know what value you need. good luck

8. LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy New Member

Reviving my post, as I am still in the same boat. Any new ideas to solve this? Just moving into my 'new' house. And would like to set this up in one of my rooms.
    Thanks!

9. battradio

battradio Electron trainer Subscriber

10. LuckyLyndy

LuckyLyndy New Member

Working on it.
    I have just moved, and in the process of configuring my home theater set up. I saw that there is an area for advice. I drew a diagram of the room, and will try to post it.