EICO HF-85 Caps

strabo

Professional Cat Herder
Subscriber
Just picked up this little jewel, but I'm curious about some of the coupling caps. Are these things polarized? They have "ground" written on the side with the dark black stripe. I can't seem to tell on the schematic I have if these are indeed polarized and what to replace them with.

Attachments

• HF-85.jpg
    HF-85.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 56
No, not polarized. The band marks the outside foil, which can act as a shield in some cases if connected to ground or the lower impedance side of a circuit. Seldom makes any difference, though.

use good polypropolyenes for all those caps. I did a complete teardown/rebuild from sratch on my 85 plus several other mods. sounds great.

I did a ground up frame off on an 85 too. I would suggest a replacement selector switch that will ground unused inputs, and there is a volume control / loudness mistake you have to correct. It's been awhile, but it seems like they put a cap and resistor in parallel that should have been in series. It makes the volume way too sensitive if you don't correct it. I used Vitamin Qs, and Hovlands in mine, and they do sound very good. Don't bypass the tone circuits like you might on a PAS, the active tone circuits are what makes them sound so good IMHO. They are basically the same as the front end of an 81 integrated. My old thread is probably around here somewhere. Oh, I would also recomend going with DC on the fils. So far, the stock PT has handled the slight current increase just fine in mine.

yes, RS has a 2pol6pos rotary. very nice. I used in my 85 rebuild. I made new tone PECs with discrete parts(Rs/Cs) and mounted in place of orig. My ldns sw. is gone with no adverse affect. as is all tape features. Just 2 AUX and 2 Phono. New RIAA filters on perf bds as well. mounted at each phono tube.
The Eico HF85 screems for improvements.
Makes a nice preamp when done right.

yes, RS has a 2pol6pos rotary. very nice. I used in my 85 rebuild. I made new tone PECs with discrete parts(Rs/Cs) and mounted in place of orig. My ldns sw. is gone with no adverse affect. as is all tape features. Just 2 AUX and 2 Phono. New RIAA filters on perf bds as well. mounted at each phono tube.
The Eico HF85 screems for improvements.
Makes a nice preamp when done right.

I need to order one of those switches it sounds like. I used the qs in the signal path, and the Hovlands for outputs. It's in the don't sell pile.:D

yes Jay. they are just rite for rplacement rotay switches. Up to 6 inputs can be selected.
or any 6 things for that matter.
just google Radio shack then lookup switches rotary.

Back
Top Bottom