Eico HF-85 volume pot

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Any suggestions on a good volume pot for an upgrade in an Eico HF-85? It is a dual 500K with dual 50K taps so I think it may be difficult to find a replacement. I've heard of people using An ALP's pot but I couldn't
't find one with dual 50K taps.

My Eico AF-4 had a pot that did not track well. I used an Analog meter to measure the ohms across the span.
The volume pot was matched at 12:00 and the tone pot was not used as much and was pretty well matched across the span

So I swapped the volume pot with the tone pot (same value) the volume pot worked okay in the 12:00 flat tone position and the other pot works well as volume

You can have Mark Oppat build new precise pots

So I swapped the volume pot with the tone pot (same value)...

That was a smart move on the AF-4 but that may not work on the HF-85. As the OP said, the HF-85's Volume pot (R1A, B) is 500K but also has a 50K tap. The HF-85's Treble pot (R3A, B) is a simple 500K pot so it likely won't allow a swap. Sorry but I don't know of a replacement.

That was a smart move on the AF-4 but that may not work on the HF-85. As the OP said, the HF-85's Volume pot (R1A, B) is 500K but also has a 50K tap. The HF-85's Treble pot (R3A, B) is a simple 500K pot so it likely won't allow a swap. Sorry but I don't know of a replacement.

Ahhh, I didn't notice the 50k tap.

I used an ALPS pot for new vol pot in my 85 with no tap and everything works just dandy.
The 'loudness' switch is gone completely.

My Eico AF-4 had a pot that did not track well. I used an Analog meter to measure the ohms across the span.
The volume pot was matched at 12:00 and the tone pot was not used as much and was pretty well matched across the span

So I swapped the volume pot with the tone pot (same value) the volume pot worked okay in the 12:00 flat tone position and the other pot works well as volume

You can have Mark Oppat build new precise pots
I second this, Mark built a volume pot for my HF-85, just be careful when you install as the back of the pot is not solid metal, it's a silver foil and easily pushed in, just a heads up the pot works great!

Something to keep in mind is that vol pots are audio taper and tone pots are linear.
May affect how vol changes with pot rotation.

Thank you all for the responses.
The pot works fine but is scratchy even after taking it apart for a good cleaning. I'll try to get it rebuilt as suggested as I'd like to keep the loudness switch.

Any suggestions on a good volume pot for an upgrade in an Eico HF-85? It is a dual 500K with dual 50K taps so I think it may be difficult to find a replacement. I've heard of people using An ALP's pot but I couldn't
't find one with dual 50K taps.
Hi!
I have a few questions on my W-5Ms. What is your email address please? You mention ways to reduce the "strain" on the power transformer. WHERE is that discussed please?
Sincerely,
Bob, in Canada
BTW
I own an HF-85. I built one in 1961 when I was 17!
Sold it years ago, but have a replacement that I bought from a HiFi addict friend!

Back
Top Bottom