Eico HF87 rebuild/update

I am note sure,but I think they replaced an 18 K resistor(on common cathode)with 2 (7.5K) and I think it should have been 2 (36k),I may be wrong,,,

That could very well be. I put in a 5 watt 18K resistor in each channel. I'll make some measurements when I get it running.

One thing I really enjoy when rebuilding vintage amps is tossing that original, cracked and fire-starter power cord! I've put a nice 18ga 3-prong cord on this bad boy along with a ground lift switch. I removed the 120VAC accessory outlets, moved the power cord to one of those holes and put the ground lift switch where the cord used to go. Eico's are finicky about their grounding. This should enable my friend to select what works best in his particular setup and without altering the chassis!

Attachments

• DSCF6774.jpg
    DSCF6774.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF6775.jpg
    DSCF6775.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF6777.jpg
    DSCF6777.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF6778.jpg
    DSCF6778.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 57
Jim -- A superior job indeed! A couple of points if I may:

1. The original heater supply had one side grounded. Since you are now using it to power the 12AX7, using some balancing resistors instead of the unbalanced approach will lower open input hum significantly.

2. It appears that you have doubled the value of the cathode bias resistors in the output stages. While I understand you may want to raise them slightly to help deal with any dissipation problems, raising them to such a high value will seriously compromise power output and distortion. I would go no higher than about 300 ohms max in each channel.

Your buddy is getting one heck of a rebuild job. Congrats on such excellent work!

Dave

PS: The 18K 1 watt resistors burn up because they are simply supplied as an underrated part in the stock design.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, high praise indeed!

If you take a look at one of the pictures where the 6.3VAC wires from the transformer hit the first EL34 socket, there's two 47 ohm resistors to ground, for a faux center tap. Kinda hard to see, but it's there.

Point taken on the cathode resistors. My friend was having to run this amp on a variac to keep the EL34s from going into volcanic red-plate mode. I used this value some time ago on another EL34 amp, so that was why I used them. I do also have a pair of 270, 300, 330 ohm 10 watt resistors and a couple of other values standing by to be subbed in once I figure out just where this amp is operating, bias wise.

And now for your enjoyment, attached is a snippet from page 6 of the Eico manual for the HF86. Did I mention Eico was happy to sell you replacement output tubes?

Thanks also for the information about the 18K resistors. I figured it was a case of building to a price point. Those 5 watt resistors I put in ought to outlive me!

Attachments

• Page 6.jpg
    Page 6.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 46
Out go those short, stubby hard plastic feet and in go 1" soft rubber feet. Better convection cooling and at least some degree of vibration isolation. The size difference is pretty substantial.

Attachments

• DSCF6779.jpg
    DSCF6779.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 41
Epic post Jim,

I will be using your post as a reference when I start mine!!

KC

Thank you Sir! I'll be out of my area and in Yakistan (Yakima, WA) all this work week and I'll try and get a schematic drawn up that shows all the changes made to the amp. The chokes, BTW, are 50 ohm 1 Henry, same as in the Dynaco amps.

One of these days I'll get some Eico HF87 or 89 output transformers and make a pair of killer damper diode power supply monoblocks with fixed bias and a few other goodies under the hood!

I installed fixed bias in mine and installed the bias controls in place of one of the AC receptacles, so I wouldn't have to drill the chassis.

Attachments

• Bias Pots.jpg
    Bias Pots.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 71
Good job, pretty nice setup! The owner isn't real tech savvy, hence the decision to stay with cathode bias.

If you end up doing one for yourself, let me know. "Dr." Dave Gillespie modified the NFB circuit in a way that makes the amp much more stable -- and musical -- than the stock circuit. The mod can also be done with cathode bias.

I did a few other mods as well and I'll have to say the result ends amp "wanderlust" for me -- I'm completely satisfied with it.

I'll take you up on that when I find a good pair of OPTs. The NFB circuit would work just the same in a monoblock, the only major difference would be, of course, the power supply.

So Jim, might a stereo version of your damper diode amp look something like this?

Attachments

• Custom HF87.jpg
    Custom HF87.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 65
And, FYI, here's the schematic of the amp section, incorporating my and Dave's mods. The constant current sources are from K&K.

Attachments

• Modified HF87.pdf
    108.9 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom