EICO ST-40 blowing fuses

You're 7591 tubes are probably ok but in rare instances they can develop cathode to grid shorts but since you were listening to it for 15 minutes, I don't think your 7591 tubes are bad.

The Pyramid caps can be changed for most any sort of film capacitor that you like. I won't make suggestions, someone else will just tell you that they're no good and something else is better :) Basically almost anything you can buy now will be more reliable than the original caps are. I generally tell people I'm not convinced I can hear capacitors except ceramic, so I refrain from making suggestions other than to not use ceramic. I use a lot of really cheap yellow film caps but I have also used orange drops and Soviet PIO caps with good results.

Finally at long last the EICO is up and running. Thanks for all the tips and advice. All new e-caps. 4 new output tubes and loudness mod. Sounds great so far, I do have one question though, when I turn the amp on the output tubes (new jj 7591S) burn quite brightly momentarily before settling to a nice orange glow. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom