Eico ST40 Kit

wvonkessler

I'm about to pick up a NIB Eico ST40 Kit. I've not built an amp or any electronics before (did build some speakers and work on cars and have some mechanical sense) but it does not look too daunting with the right tools. I know about the loudness mod. I would welcome recommendations for capacitor replacement and other suggestions on the build.

Thanks,

Wilson

If you were a subscriber,in bartertown there are modern replacement boards to replace the PEC's with discrete parts

Hi Wilson and welcome to AK.

Building one of these NOS kits is quite rare. It would be of interest to lots of Eico ST-40 owners, including myself, if you could post photos of your build from the start (even opening the box). The only other pics I've seen of a kit are here: http://www.virhistory.com/hi-fi/kits-eico.htm

That way others can look over your shoulder and give you advice on the way. Most of us have had to rebuild old units, even just seeing new faceplate and knobs would be interesting!

You should assume that all the electrolytic caps either need to be re-formed or replaced, so that's both cans and that brown cardboard covered one that goes below. I would also install modern film replacements for the black tubular coupling caps.

You'll get lots of support here, but there is also an 'EICO Tube Amps Fans Club Group' on Yahoo.

Good luck with your Eico. I just bought an nos HF65 pre amp kit. Lots of parts missing in mine. Build manual, transformer.

I would replace the electrolytics as a precaution. after 40 years, they might cause problems. also change the output tube coupling caps just to be safe!

My dream! On day I'd love to find a NOS kit like that. Only thing is I would be torn to keep it as is, as they are so rare.

Anyway look forward to the unfailing and progression pics.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom