Eight Deluxe in the house!

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by jberger, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, in the garage first. So far, everything seems to work well, even the lights, with need for a bit of DeOxit to decrackle the controls.

Is there a cover missing over the fuses here?

20170617_162034.jpg

Is this one of the engraved faceplate models?
    20170617_162159.jpg

smurfer77, Cadillac Kid and satellite like this.
  2. stereofun

stereofun AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes - cover missing. Not uncommon.

3. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I too am missing the cover. You have a great find and I hope you will enjoy it. I have been listening to mine all day today.

4. Jon D

Jon D Member

Congrats. Awesome receiver you have there.

5. jberger

Any known weaknesses?

6. eiraved

eiraved AK Subscriber Subscriber

Biggest weakness is that the fuse covers come up missing on these. Now that that's out of the way, great score!! Giving it a full recap and a good DeOxit bath for the controls will bring you even more joy.

7. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Great score. One of the all time best receivers. Take a close look at the lettering on the face plate. If the is etched below the surface of the face plate, it's engraved. If the lettering is painted ON the surface of the face plate, it's not engraved. Let me know which it is and I'll tag it to the serial number in the database.

- Pete

8. jberger

If that's the text such as BALANCE, BASS, TREBLE, I'm about 99% sure they're not engraved.

9. MER71

MER71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Best receiver by Sansui, in my opinion. I have tried numerous receivers and always come back to the eight deluxe. Makes any turd....sound good.

10. stereofun

stereofun AK Subscriber Subscriber

Weaknesses would include the lettering on the push buttons falls off easily - and those same push buttons are prone to become scratchy.....then difficult to clean. Otherwise its a very solid piece with a great punchy sound and detail, probably one of the best receivers Sansui made. I personally find the sound, especially mid, a bit on the dry or clinical side, but that is just personal opinion or rig synergy - You've got a winner !

11. Jon D

Jon D Member

It does not appear to be engraved. My Eight Deluxe is not either. My Eight is, took a pic here. Hard to get one that shoes it. 20170619_223859.jpg

12. eiraved

Another way to check for engraving is to use the pointed end of a sewing needle and see if it you can trace the faceplate lettering with it. Trace lightly, as pressing too hard will damage the faceplate!
    If the needle stops at the end of the traced letter, it is engraved.

13. LBPete

It looks engraved. If you have the face plate off, it should be easy to see. In general, engraved face plates are rare. Compare the lettering to any other receiver.

- Pete

14. Jon D

Jon D Member

Pete, that is the face plate off of my eight. I was just trying to show an example of an engraved one.

15. eiraved

I magnified the OP's picture and it sure looks like it's engraved. The engraving is most apparent when looking at the "Tape Monitor" font.

16. LBPete

Jon D. I didn't look to see you weren't the OP. All Eights have engraved face plates. They stopped engraving the Eight Deluxe face plate at sometime during production. I'm trying to determine when that occurred with the serial number database.

- Pete

17. Jon D

Jon D Member

Gotcha. I posted my eight Dlx serial number last week. It is not engraved, but I was not aware you were making notes on that. Or that it came both ways. Learn something new on here every day. Thx Pete.

18. smurfer77

smurfer77 AK Subscriber Subscriber

On that note, I will try to remember to add my engraved 8D to the list...

19. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

Trying to get at the switches, on the inside, is a very real problem. Recently, I tilted mine with the switches up and drizzled Deoxit. Fader and Shield down the side of the switches followed by cycling the switches many times. This worked for me.

The missing fuse plate cover is a real danger. Mine is missing too and I keep the fuses well covered with clear packing tape. If you are not careful, you could get a real jolt from some of the fuse holders on the back. Be careful, but enjoy.

20. nolasally

nolasally AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sold my Eight Dlx when I came across a clean Eight. Nuf said... Neither is a slouch. Id happily take another Eight Dlx..