EL 34 thoughts ?

teisco

Got this Chinese tube integrated amp that runs EL 34's or similar. It came with quad JJKT77's and after reading some reviews of this power tube find it gives more of a solid state sound or "crunch?" than I want.

I am looking at the Audiophile review of popular EL 34's and they recommend Tung Sol EL 34b's to get that lush sound. The new Mullard's came in second to these but in other user reviews the Mullard's sounded better.

This is all interesting and a bit confusing so asking for opinions here before buying different power tubes.

As the review states, "If I want solid-state crispness, I can get that in my solid state amps. I don’t need it from my tubes."
Link to review; https://blog.thetubestore.com/audiophile-review-el34-family-tube-comparison/

Last edited:
Got this Chinese tube integrated amp that runs EL 34's or similar. It came with quad JJKT77's and after reading some reviews of this power tube find it gives more of a solid state sound or "crunch?" than I want.

That was my impression of the JJ KT77 exactly. A bit thin and metallic-sounding. Not sure if they ever broke in, however, because one of my pair had a flash-over. Check out this thread for recommendations:
El34 Reissue: midrange magic

Dennis Had, founder of Cary Audio, and who now hand builds custom single-ended tube amps, actually likes the JJ KT77s. I have a pair. I would not describe them as having a SS sound, but they do produce more detail in the upper mids and highs than some other tubes. They still do a very good job on vocals, piano, strings. If one is looking for a rolled-off sound, they wouldn't be my choice. Have no experience with other new EL34s. Do have an octet of 1960s Sylvania Fat Boy 6CA7s and they produce a smoother sound.

I typically run Gold Lion KT77 in my amp. Like them a lot, they also produce a pretty fair amount of detail.

An amp is supposed to accurately reproduce the music whether it's SS or tubular. Don't complain, just turn your tone knob a bit to the left for the fuzzyness you want.

If the sound of your amp changed after reading something, I'd stay away from that or keep reading until you find something that makes the amp sound better. It's there, just keep looking.

No tone controls for me,,thanks,,only volume will do,,:)

Last edited:
Shuguang EL-34B's are an excellent tube IMO. Found a brand new pair on the bay for $29.00, includes free shipping.

I wouldn't say the KT-77's have a midrange boost. I do find them more detailed than the EL-34's I've tried. To me they seem to be pretty well balanced.

Last edited:
Hey
If been using the electro harmonics 6ca7 fat bottle. I've read they are some of the better currently produced el34 type tubes.Unfortunately I haven't compared them to anything else. Just my .02 . Eric

Hey
If been using the electro harmonics 6ca7 fat bottle. I've read they are some of the better currently produced el34 type tubes.Unfortunately I haven't compared them to anything else. Just my .02 . Eric
How do they sound to you?

Hey
I probably have quad laying around that I could loan you for a week or 2. You would have to pay shipping both ways .
PM me if your interested.
I'm hesitant to try and describe my impressions as I said I've not put them up against any other tube. They sound fine in my Eico hf 87.
I'm eventually going to trade out the EH el34s in my marantz 8b for 6ca7s but with summer here I switched over to solid state. Eric

I have an EL34 integrated (Yaqin MS-20L) and have rolled a few power tubes in it. But keep in mind that the preamp section can have more of an influence on the final sound.

My favorite power tubes for this amp and my system are (in order from the one I like the best first) the differences are slight for the top 3.

Gold Lion KT77 new reissue - the best combination of bass/midrange/high end and detail of everything that I have tried
Reflektor 6P3S-E (1970s) - a tad less detail, a little more midrange, good bass (not a direct replacement so be warned there could be problems, I used to be a CET and can deal with problems that may come up)
Electroharmonix 6CA7EH - very good bass, good midrange, a little light in upper end detail
Electroharmonix EL34eh - very good high end detail, good midrange, a little light in bass
Shuguang EL34 - balanced but with not as much detail
Groove Tube EL34 - poor detail to the point of sounding distorted

I have an EL34 integrated (Yaqin MS-20L) .....My favorite power tubes for this amp and my system are (in order from the one I like the best first) ...Gold Lion KT77 new reissue - the best combination of bass/midrange/high end and detail of everything that I have tried

I'm surprised that you're getting these results as the KT-77 tube is not compatible with the amp according to the manufacturer.

I'm surprised that you're getting these results as the KT-77 tube is not compatible with the amp according to the manufacturer.

That is the first time that I have heard that. I do remember that the seller in Canada was concerned that there may not be enough range in the bias pot to get the bias in range. And that is not a problem.

Do you have any specifics ?

I don't think you will be disappointed. I liked the top end and midrange with the different EL-34's I tried, but did find the low end a bit lacking. The 88's I tried had great top end and nice tight bottom end with good impact, but the midrange sounded recessed somewhat. As mentioned above the small signal tubes can make a big difference too.

That is the first time that I have heard that. I do remember that the seller in Canada was concerned that there may not be enough range in the bias pot to get the bias in range. And that is not a problem.

Do you have any specifics ?

Yes the seller in Canada (Tabnaac) told me the same thing. What voltage do you bias the 77's at?

Back
Top Bottom