ELAC 50H

When is rumble most likely to be noticed?

Rumble is most noticeable during the lead in groove before music starts and the silence between songs.

If you hear loud rumble, your idler tire may need to be rebuilt. There are folks that specialize in that. You basically remove your idler tire and mail it to them. They cut off the old dried rubber and then replace it with new rubber. This quiets the rumble.

Besides dried rubber on the idler wheel, other causes of rumble include dried rubber motor grommets (the two rubber pieces from which the motor hangs) or dried grease in the main platter bearings.

That's where I thought it'd show up.
This thing is DEAD silent during between song passages. Almost thought it had shut down a couple times it is so quiet.
I think I have a winner here.

That's where I thought it'd show up.
This thing is DEAD silent during between song passages. Almost thought it had shut down a couple times it is so quiet.
I think I have a winner here.

Congrats! Your Dad bought the best mechanical changer of the 1960s. I'm sure he would be pleased and proud to know that you are using it all these years later.

I'm about to call this ready to run. I treated the plinth to a rubbing with some Olde English oil and it responded with a deep rich color tone.
Before treatment:
DSC09259 (Large).JPG

And the after shot:
DSC09267 (Large).JPG
I just wish Dad had had the chance to enjoy this more. I don't remember it ever being hooked up at home.

Back
Top Bottom