ELAC 50H

These are a dandy! When tuned up they run a long time! Fifty dollars is a steal. Miracords and Dual's are going up. Looks like looks like you have a Shure M91 cart. A good choice. Depending how the stylus is you might want to get a JICO stylus. Sell for around $35 with shipping. Have used them on my Dual 1219s with good results. Enjoy have fun!

Eric

Although similar to the 10, 40 and 45 in terms of design and build quality, the 50H has the the best tone-arm of the bunch and that plinth is the deluxe model. Nice find...:thumbsup:

It looks great in the photos. And it's an M55 I think. My friend grabbed it and will bring it over Tuesday.

So it's actually $50 plus a bottle of wine.

:beerchug:

It looks great in the photos. And it's an M55 I think. My friend grabbed it and will bring it over Tuesday.

An M55 is one of the carts I use with my 50H II. Not only a great match, but also allows you to use some other great styli(original or otherwise) including some excellent one's for 78 if that's your thing.

I think that plinth was more commonly available in Canada, goes to show you the upper scale sophistication of our neighbors to the north...:beatnik:

Monty, make sure to use a stylus gauge. These tables are 50 years old and VTF and AS are usually not accurate. Enjoy, that's a beauty!

I love my 50H. It's so much fun to use. My Dual 1229 needed to be revisited maintenance-wise, around the time I got the 50H, and I ended up swapping the 50H into my system for about two years before I got around to working on the 1229! Eventually, I plan to have them both in the system, because I really have trouble saying which is my favorite.

Try to find a second cartridge holder for a good price, if you have a second cartridge you would like to occasionally swap onto the tonearm.

Swing the tonearm in above the platter and pull that stylus cleaning brush straight up, there should be the cartridge alignment pointer under it. Also cartridge alignment screw on front of headshell, nice touches.

20180521_201610.jpg 20180521_201621.jpg
Fifty buck?!? Nice scroe!

I gave him $60 and still owe him the wine. He's just at the end of the next block so I see him often.

It looks good and seems to be fully functional so far. The stash box to the right yielded up a few goodies, including screwdrivers, the stacker spindle, an Elac cartridge (possibly OEM), 45 adaptor, a service ticket from 1975, and my favourite Decca record brush. Oh and maybe I can refill that prescription!

First play on the Elac is Gang Of Four. The original owners might have looked a bit sideways at me for this. :)

Gang Of Four - Elac by Buhduh, on Flickr

I swapped the stylus on the M55E for an OEM Shure from an M75-ED and while it's maybe not the right spec exactly, it sounds fine. The one that came with the table seems to have seen better days and was a generic anyway. I cleaned it up a touch, including a 2 minute lid polish (it was VERY good already), used some acetone to remove those unnecessary marks someone painted on at the speed selector switch. I checked the VTF with a digital gauge and it was close to bang on. Functionally it seems pretty much dialed in with no effort.

:D

Last edited:
So here is a question. What the heck is this for?

It's obviously a capacitor and mounting bracket but is it for this turntable or did it just randomly end up in the accessory compartment? There is another little metal dohickey in the sealed bag too.

20180523_095331.jpg

Never mind. I found it in the other Service Manual; I was looking at the MKII version. It's a "phase condenser" and pulley for 110v 50hz.

Back
Top Bottom