kk_coastal

I am interested in the new Elac Uni-Fi UB5 speakers. Have any of you heard them? I hear you need some serious push behind them. Anyone have any experience with these speakers?

Specs for the speakers are:
5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer
frequency response: 46-25,000 Hz
sensitivity: 85 dB
impedance: 4 ohms
maximum power input: 140 watts

Do you think the Sansui Au-X701 Amplifier is strong enough to push these speakers?

The AU-X701 specs are:
Power output: 100 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.005%
Input sensitivity: 0.3mV (MC), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 88dB (MM), 110dB (line)
Output: 150mV (line)
Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

I am interested in the new Elac Uni-Fi UB5 speakers. Have any of you heard them? I hear you need some serious push behind them. Anyone have any experience with these speakers?

Do you think the Sansui Au-X701 Amplifier is strong enough to push these speakers?

The AU-X701 specs are:
I don't see any issue at all. I've had that and pass through my collection and the only reason I still don't have one is I already have too many amps I can't use. I prefer sansui's 70'S amps compared to there mid 80'S stuff but there all good. Just different.

The AU-X701 specs are:
Usually 85db sensitivity needs higher than 100wpc. I read somewhere online for recommended wpc against db. For around 89db, 100wpc is more than sufficient. For 85db, 140 watt, you will most likely need more than 100 wpc amp to get best out of the speakers and more forgiving sound for low quality recording or file.
I have pioneer bs22 with 85db, 80 watt output. My avr is 80 wpc, and still feel the sound is not open and a bit cloudy. I believe if ill switch to a higher wpc amp/avr, i might get better loudness and less cloudy...

Thats good to know... i would be curious to read a bit more discriptive experience than one word- awesome :)
I'm terrible at articulating this stuff. I'm a it sounds good or not kind of guy. I will say it's a great all around small speaker that does everything well. Maybe not the best, but well. Just have an amp that's rated for 4 ohms.

Thats good to know... i would be curious to read a bit more discriptive experience than one word- awesome :)
Oh yeah, they were talking about watts and i was thinking I'm not sure if watts are what matters since my receiver is only about 40 per channel and sounds great. Maybe quality of watts is what matters. (I'm no expert by the way)

A fantastic sounding speaker. In my room with my amp, they lacked a little bass, so I found a pair of Epos Epic 2s, with a touch more definition/bass to my ears. It took me a very long time to find a speaker that i personally prefer to the Elac UB5s. They are very hard to beat! Also I don't have 1000s of dollars to buy speakers with.

I have a Marantz Model 18, and I decided to go with the UB5’s. I can only get the volume up half way before the Elac’s sound distorted. Did I choose the wrong speakers for my old classic?

I have a Marantz Model 18, and I decided to go with the UB5’s. I can only get the volume up half way before the Elac’s sound distorted. Did I choose the wrong speakers for my old classic?
Maxing out the watts per channel rating at noon or 1 o'clock or so position on the volume knob sounds about normal to me. The rest of the range would be for weaker sources. If it's loud enough before you get the distortion, you're good. Otherwise you need more efficient speakers, or possibly the Marantz needs work.

Love my pair of Elacs on a NAD 326BEE integrated. 50W/ch and deep powerful bass. Can barely play it with the volume knob more than about 10 o'clock or so.

Highly recommended.

I just ordered a pair of of the Elac - Uni-Fi- UB5 speakers on Amazon . They have the lowest over all price I could find and they are now about $580

Anyway I presently have some 2 way speakers that were in kit form from Parts Express with Dayton " reference series" drivers that includes a silk dome tweeter. .
They are a sealed acoustic suspension design that gives them a punchy bass but, I was never quite happy with them as the mid range seemed too laid back for me and some lower bass was missing. They are no longer marketed and were at the time said to best in a near field environment or in a very small room..
They have sensitivity rating of only 83 db. and they are 8 ohms

Now ...I have a NAD "C-350" amp that is rated at 60 WPC RMS at 8. ohms... and even at 4 ohms. It drives the 8 ohm low sensitivity Dayton speakers fine.

"The C350 is a discrete design throughout with bipolar output devices, and like other recent NAD amplifiers, the C350 employs a proprietary Impedance Sensing Circuit, which examines the load and optimises itself accordingly. This has a side effect that the amplifier develops an identical 60 watts into both 8 and 4 Ohms"

However, there is a big difference in "peak power" wattage with the NAD C-350
For 8 ohms it is 130 watts but at 4 ohms it goes up to 190 watts .

So I'm hoping the NAD amp will drive the 4 ohms "Elacs" just fine at normal listening levels in my apartment. . I should get them 3-23-21 .
Any comments or advice from those who already have them? .

BTW, I am fully aware that a speaker will only draw a few watts on the average and it is only during loud transits that higher wattage is needed to reproduce program material faithfully. :).

Last edited:
I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon UB5 paired with a Sansui Seven. I think 40 watts per channel? AWESOME !
I used to have a Sansui Seven back in the '70s..
like a fool, I abandoned it . As I remember it had great sound and an amazing FM section.

Well... Amazon seems to have screwed up my order a bit. Hopefully they got is all worked out now.
I am really set on these speakers on a few levels and, I will be disappointed if do not get them.
They only have about 8 left n stock and no one else has them since they are now discontinued .

I could of course get speakers that are just as good but not at this price point and size
Size is all important to me.

Last edited:
Well... Amazon seems to have screwed up my order a bit. Hopefully they got is all worked out now.
I am really set on these speakers on a few levels and, I will be disappointed if do not get them.
They only have about 8 left n stock and no one else has them since they are now discontinued .

I could of course get speakers that are just as good but not at this price point and size
Size is all important to me.
While I can respect it if you are dead set on the Uni-Fi, I think these fulfill most of the same requirements, for less money, and are more efficient. Little less bass though.
FOCAL Chorus 706 6.5" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers Black Ash Each | Accessories4less

"Most" is not good enough. :)
I already have some pretty good 2 ways as I said. However , IMO 2 ways leave much to be desired in the mid range as the woofer and tweeter must share all the mirange frequencies and the mid range is of course the heart of the musical spectrum

I got my present 2 ways when first getting back into good audio after a long absence. Then, I got back into vinyl
They initially served their purpose but now i want something better and the Elacs fill the bill on all counts ..... including the size which is all important for me ..

Anyway, for about the last 6 months I have been searching for the right replacements and, I'm sold on the Elacs.

EDIT.....
.I just checked Amazon and the order has been shipped and the Elacs are supposed arrive via the USPS., . my favored shipper, on Tuesday .
The are being shipped from VA .... i live in upstate NY, about 50 miles up the Hudson from NY City. They might not arrive Tuesday but, I now know that they are in the USPS system with great tracking. :)

Last edited:
Well, I hope they work out for you. Another belated, and for you unnecessary, consideration would be the HiVi 3.1A kit, for anyone looking for a 3 way down the road. I've heard good things, but just don't have room for another set of bookshelves in my house.

elacxxxxx.JPG

I got the Elacs today :)
I am still breaking them in of course but, so far. I really like them They have much more subtle detail than my 2 ways on the average.with a variety of program material.
I'm into classic rock, jazz and Classical. Things like a flute, snare drums, violin, trumpet, etc now have the corrects timbre.

BTW, it seems like Elac is no longer using the vinyl wrap that many complained about. It appears that now, the mat finish is engraved directly on the sturdy wood cabinet its self and the finish is 100% flawless.
It's a shame Elac had some horrible quality control with these speakers from the builder... which they eventually solved. Some sites say they are discontinued but Elac says that they are still available and are not discontinued.
I suspect that many dealers got returns because of the initial poor quality and now want no part of them . The returns have all been refurbished, tested and are now sold as the "B" stock.. the "B' standing for open box.

Interestingly, they are the same sensitivity rating as my 2 ways and I still have my volume control at about 10-11 o'clock for a normal volume.

Also, in my 10 band EQ, I just had a 3 db cut at 120 hz and a 3 db increase at 8 khz.
I tried the Elacs "flat" but I'm keeping the EQ setting as before for now at least This may be due to my 73 year old ears or my listening environment .

For anyone interested why I need smaller speakers...I live in and apartment and have limited room.
I can also feed my TV sound into my system :)

ATTACH=full]2171853[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom