So keep your electric bikes. I'll go find me a Puch.

Good friend of mine did a Puch cross country back in the '70's ... even got a comic book out of the deal ... ;-}

front_cover.jpg

Used to see a lot of 'Pukes' running around Germany. Basic entry level motorized transport, Solex, black bikes with the motor over the front wheel, were a bit more "entry" and once very popular thruout Europe.

Mopeds are banned on most trails around here. e-Bikes get by as long as they are not fast and annoying. Stealth is the key, and actually using pedal assist :)

Decided to not build the K2 as an e-Bike. After sorting out the irregularities, it has become too sweet a pedal bike to hack.

So I bought a Specialized Hardrock Sport for $70 and will hack that beast instead. Stouter frame with additional gussets and triangulation. Already have a new used fork (Manitou R7 Elite) coming to replace the RST spring alignment tube ... Prolly go 500 watts or so with a 250w sticker on the motor. AT 70+ years, I don't think the trail Mounties will say too much as long as I putz along pedaling :D

I wanted to like the mid-motor look and arrangement. But I'm a rear hub kinda guy. So it'll be a Bafang G31xx B model and a sine wave controller. The new ones have spiral cut teeth so a lot quieter, and they free wheel when not powered. So your bike actually pedals like a bike, w/o the cogging effect of the magnets inducing drag unpowered :)

In celebration of my living 4 years after a stage 4 cancer diagnosis and the loss of most of my left femur to bone cancer, I decided to get an ebike to help regain some strength both mentally and physically.

I could not find a step thru that I liked so I shopped for a men’s bike with a lowish step over height and found this beast to be what I needed

F9401541-3EBA-40E8-A7F1-463F47323798-XL.jpg

Biktrix Juggernaut with Bafang Ultra 620, 27.5+ wheel set 48v 21ah battery.
I added a dropper seat post which really made all the difference for me allowing me to easily mount the bike in the low position and raise to a normal position when underway.
While I was at it I added a temporary 2 inch stem riser and origin 8 strong bow handlebars to personalize my ride. The handlebars have a bit more sweep which was perfect for me.
I’ll likely remove the stem riser soon as I become able to bend more at the waist but it’s not bad as is

1E056045-5701-4166-8184-3645024F31FE-XL.jpg

The motor controller tuning is really good, docile and tame until you need more power and then it just keeps pouring on the torque
I really like the way you can power out of a tight turn, pedal hard and a touch of throttle is pretty awesome.
The bike rides like a normal but heavy bike under no pedal assist with no noticeable drag from the motor.

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread as it really helped educate me on ebikes.

Back
Top Bottom