Electric Ladyland . . .

I like LZ. How can you not? It's just that I believe Jimi captured what they failed to. ELL is a masterpiece on so many levels.

The wind chimes make it sound like they're jamming at Angkor Wat:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

I heard this for the first time a few weeks ago on the Psychedelic Hermit.

Hermit Radio

Thanks for the links, Loops! The vimeo had my Jack Russel turning her her sideways, a good indication of good psychedelic music played quietly! Both dogs should run to the basement and hide when I play loud. I'm going to be tuning in to the hermit radio on Fridays. I'll record it because I usually get drug away from my desk by people wanting me to do my job. I have all the Liquid Frequency Test reels on mp3 in my car, over 60 hours now, so I listen to that a lot without getting burnt out. If you don't know about it, it's at archive.org, but easiest to google it. It's hour long episodes of psychedelic era, with vintage ads and a laid back DJ that reminds me of the small town small college station I listened to growing up. Be advised the first 1:58 is the same on all reels, mostly noise and stuff you want to maybe listen to once, but skip past after that. I mention that, because I burnt a DVD of it and gave it to a friend and he thought they were bad mp3's.

Also think you to OP for this thread. This is the first time I read through it, and was inspired to go down in the dungeon and see what I could find. Psychedelic is may favorite era, and the voodoo prince my favorite of the era, so that makes him the favorite of my favorites. I found three LPs, at least 1 and likely all original pressings in really good shape and even very clean. I'm pretty sure I have three or four more. Original sorting of my LPs are a bit off, inherited these from a lifelong friend, Phil, who called and said pick them up because he was going to die soon. They were alphabetized over a weekend, a lot of tears and a half gallon jug of Wild Turkey. almost 25 years ago, and Phil's still alive.

Anyway, I found War Heros, bearing a 1972 (c) by Warner Brothers, and says "Remix at Electric Lady Studios by: Eddie Kramer, John Jansen" I'll have to investigate unless one of you knows. I'm sure it was purchased when the release or re-release just came out. That's just how Phil did it. In fact, he would often drive an hour the day the LP would become available in a larger town. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Heroes

The next one is a soundtrack for the movie Rainbow Bridge, released under the Reprise/Warner label with (c) 1971. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(album) wiki makes this one sound like it may be his best LP from the grave.

And finally (rat-a-tat-tat) Electric Ladyland :nutz: Also a Reprise/Warner release with no copy right or date. As I recall, just from looking through my LPs, the practice of using a copyright and date didn't become common until some time after 1968, maybe '69 or '70.

Wife will wake up in an hour, I help get her ready and drive her to work, then I expect I will get my mind in a slightly altered state and drop the needle on all three at that magical volume that doesn't quite result in arrest or citations :D

Jimi's work is best experienced on vinyl. The same Experience Hendrix CDs just do not deliver the palpable realism these records do. IMHO, they're as good as any Sheffield Lab D2D LP that I own.

Since I typically listen to Axis when the mood strikes, I think I'll give AYE a go one night this week.

Just listened to EL on reel-to-reel....my RT-707 has auto-reverse, so the whole album can be enjoyed without interruption....:thmbsp:

(and, it`s a rainy day here, which seems all the more appropriate)

Attachments

• Electric Ladyland RTR (2).jpg
    Electric Ladyland RTR (2).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 14
My collection is just the opposite of MaxxVolume's - I have the ELL reissue on vinyl, just purchased new last year, and Axis on the original 7 1/2 ips reel to reel. Both sound fantastic, but if I had to choose based on sound quality only, I'd probably give the nod to the tape. It's easily one of my best sounding sources.

An excerpt from Just Kids by Patti Smith.
It was an infamous address,having housed The Film Guild Cinema in the 20's,and a raucous country western club housed by Rudy Vallee in the 30's. The great abstract expressionist artist and teacher Hans Hoffman had a small school on the 3rd floor through the forties and fifties preaching to the likes of Jackson Pollack,Lee Krasner and William de Kooning. In the 60's it housed the Generation Club where Jim Hendrix used to hang out and when it closed he took over the space and built a state of the art studio in the bowels of 52 8th street.
Yes Electric Ladyland.

Damn Skippy....this version of Villanova Junction Blues (from the final scene in the Woodstock movie) always knocked me out....

One of my very favorite pieces of music. As important as anything by Bach or Beethoven. Another that gets me is Midnight off War Heros. And Beginnings. And Machine Gun.

. Another that gets me is Midnight off War Heros. And Beginnings. And Machine Gun.

Speaking of that genre of Hendrix, many moons ago, I was walking down 8th Ave late one night, just beyond NYC`s Music Building, when from behind me, someone started scat-singing the opening of "Nobody Knows" (from Band Of Gypsies). "Doo do doo do, WOOOP doo do doo do doo".... LOUD, and with gusto....naturally intrigued, I turned around to see Hiram Bullock walking about 50 yards behind me, carrying a scruffy-looking guitar case, singing his ass off.... :)

I bought copies of each of Hendrix's studio albums, as well as First Ray and SSD, when the Hendrix family reissued them on limited edition numbered vinyl in the 90s. I've played them each maybe a time or two as I cherish them. [I'll be recording each to tape via my RT-909 very soon so that I can preserve them.]

Last night, I cracked out Electric Ladyland to play for my fiance, who is not a fan of Jimi whatsoever. Folks - this record is among the very finest recordings I know of. I've always said, "You can't hear Jimi unless you listen to him on vinyl." After hearing Voodoo Chile, I couldn't help but thinking that Led Zeppelin tried for years and years and years to achieve a blues rock song THIS GOOD and they simply fell short.

Eddie Kramer did a fantastic job at the controls capturing Jimi's genius for us to marvel. He did an even better job preserving the original recordings when working for the family to get these records back out to the public. The vinyl - perfect. The recording - perfect. The experience - amazing, just absolutely ****ing amazing.

If you don't have a copy of this particular run of this album, I'm sure the later pressings after the first 5,000 were probably nearly as good. Axis and AYE are equally impressive. These records exemplify what our hobby is all about. They're simply stunning in every way and the experience they're capable of offering is limited only by your playback equipment and environment. Yes, they're that good.

I'm far to young (born in '69) to have heard these albums when they were released. For those of you that bought a copy of Electric Ladyland in '68, I'm just green with envy. This is 2015 and this album hasn't ever been topped in so many regards. It must have felt like you traveled into the future when you heard this for the first time. Man, what would that have been like?

Last night, I felt as if I was in the studio with the Jimi Hendrix Experience standing behind the control board. Oh, and my fiance has a slightly different take on Jimi now.

Spin it if you've got it.

Yeah, I don't know. I find it very difficult to compare artist/bands. They are all individuals with different thoughts and styles. Now, having said that everybody is in entitled to their opinion. IMO that's what makes music great. It's all different, that's why I have lots of different artist/bands LPs and CDs.

I think your take on Led Zeppelin is "interesting" to say the least. As far as "THIS GOOD" that's your personal opinion and of course your entitled to that. I also think I could counter and say Jimi never did anything like Led Zeppelin, but that's to be expected. Once again these are individuals with different thoughts and styles.

LZII remains one of my ten favorite records of all time. I remember my father playing it when I was very young. The artwork on the cover perfectly matched the very first song - it was mind blowing at the age of 7 or so. I recently purchased the LZ reissue because my dad's original is simply worn out.

That being said, I stand by my words. ELL is a reference on so many levels. YMMV.

LZII remains one of my ten favorite records of all time. I remember my father playing it when I was very young. The artwork on the cover perfectly matched the very first song - it was mind blowing at the age of 7 or so. I recently purchased the LZ reissue because my dad's original is simply worn out.

That being said, I stand by my words. ELL is a reference on so many levels. YMMV.

I normally apply the old "It stands the test of time" standard when categorizing albums....if it still makes my socks roll up & down 45 or 50 years later, it definitely makes the grade....

Back
Top Bottom