Electric treble noise on play back only Toshiba pd-v30

allanmatters

Hi all . First and foremost I am going to say I have searched through the forum and come across many different types of issues regarding electric low treble sort of scratching noise playing in the background with the music on through the speaker s .

I have read about cleaning the rec/pb buttons . How ever my buttons are not the physical push down buttons , but more like touch click buttons. I am not sure if cleaning that would result in elimination of the electric sound . The noise is present on all cassette s. I even tried a 40 year old pioneer n2a-60 type 1 normal . I have maxells UD XL1 blank cassettes mostly for recording all purchased back in 1978 to 80

The sound comes only when the song is played. (when the instruments and voice are in effect mostly not the low frequencies) . I recorded on a cassette with no source that is just blank with no sound and played back the cassette . It was silent as ever .

I also read about replacing mylar capacitors which solved the issue for some . And also about cleaning the capstan and oiling it from behind .
Not sure where to begin .

I have a Toshiba aurex PD-V30 . It was lying in the storeroom for roughly 8 years and had an expired belt which I replaced . It sounds really good given the fact I got used to CD . The tape deck still sound clear and warm . I did a recording and the results were great . Except the little scratching noise

I apologize if this thread should have not been made as usually there are many threads to search on here . But I've read many many threads here as well as in other forum . Is it worth fixing ? I do understand there are better decks out there like nackamichi dragon and other brands . Any one ever used this particular deck ?
IMG_20180425_100347796.jpg
Regards
Allan

Last edited:
Is there a playback level control? If so, try cleaning it. Is the sound only on one channel or both? It may have a muting relay which may need to be replaced.

Is there a playback level control? If so, try cleaning it. Is the sound only on one channel or both? It may have a muting relay which may need to be replaced.
I will check . I did try recording by adjusting the volume on my iPhone. So basically my iPhone is the source . So I lowered the volume and recorded again . The sound was not there on playback but the playback was rather low then , as u could here the default hiss more in the background. I prefer the hiss to be low, so by doing this I increase the volume on the iPhone . I also tried the rec level . Back and front in recording . dint make a difference . I have tapes recorded in 1980 . The sound seems to come on those tapes too .most tapes I have are normal bias 120us

There is a playback volume control as the deck also has a preamp section and there is rec level control which I already played with .

Sound is on both channels though right channel it's more noticeable. My dad who is 66years old say he can't hear it lol

As you turn the treble up its more noticeable

Buy some De-Oxit, open up the unit and clean all the controls, inject the cleaner into any opening in the body of the control and work it back and forth 30 times.

I will check it out on Amazon . But just want to make sure you understood the sound . Il explain again . I guess the title of the thread is not written correctly.
This sound is very much slight electrical scratching on both speakers . It only occurs when the instruments in the song are playing at medium volume . Example in a song the instruments can go from low to mid to high . Similarly it also occurs for vocals . The slight electrical faint sound occurs while the lead singer is singing at moderate level . If he sings at a low tone or high tone the electric slight scratching does not occur . I don't know how to put it . Whether it's a screech or like a faint electric static which occurs on mid frequencies, not high frequency or low frequencies of treble . Only midway . It's very noticeable to me . My father says he can't hear it (he is 66 by the way ) .
It's more evident on the ribbon tweeters . It's just annoying. I can hear it even if the ribbon tweeter is disconnected and the normal speakers are on .
I am sure the deoxit wouldn't help . But it's worth a try .the thing cost 47 dollars for a 5oz can . Is that normal ?

Will adjusting the bais internally help ? I have no bais level controls on the outside . I opened the deck and found many pot meters inside. I visited hifiengine and downloaded the user manual . But that manual does not have anything except basic information on how to use the system .

I had read a thread here on bias setting internally

Hi,
Adjusting the bias is not going to help you here, it is for recording only, not playback.
I second Warren's idea of cleaning the controls before anything else. $47 for a can is really expensive. This stuff is also really expensive in Australia, basically anywhere outside the states. You should be able to get locally another brand of good quality contact cleaner, I have had good results with CRC brand stuff, others like Servisol stuff, (a British brand). The shipping to Bahrain is going to be what makes it cost.
I'm struggling to get my head around your description of the sound, it may be an idea if you could do an audio capture of it and post it somehow. It sounds like something that I have never experienced before in my 20 years on the things.
Cheers
Tony

Thanks . Yea it is pretty expensive but that really does the job on corrosive places and dirt .
I adjusted some potentiometer s which were related playback output . I decreased them. Then played the same cassette again the sound was gone finally . I don't know if I just reduced the record volume from inside (which doesn't make any difference then ) or if I actually fixed it .
I recorded another tape and it seemed fine . Just a little here and there electric sounds occurring according to the harshness of the instruments or vocals . But very less as compared to before . I tried an old cassette the sound wasent present anymore too . I don't know if it's a perfect solution.

Here's some pics . I plan on recording some more tapes .can't believe Iam doing this . I was in CD for quite a long time now and now again I am going back to tape s lol.

I wish I could record the problem but for sure you wouldn't hear it the mic is definitely not going to pick that up .il give it a try though .

Attachments

• 2018-04-27_10.26.56.jpg
    2018-04-27_10.26.56.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180427_102505945.jpg
    IMG_20180427_102505945.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi, just by exercising those controls you may well have hit the nail join the head. Cleaning them should finish it off. Some things come back to me in strange ways after a while. I remember having processor noise coming through in recordings in the '00s. The processor in your phone could be a factor. I wouldn't rely on the mic to pick up the noise, i would try line level recording the sound through your computer's inputs, if they have any these days of course!
Cheers
Tony

Thanks for your suggestions . Yea I even tried a tape I recorded in 1986 which was recorded on a different deck at that time . The noise was pretty much there in that tape too . That was before I adjusted the potentiometer. So it's got nothing to do with the iPhone , though that is a good tip to check .

Wow the tape deck sounds just sweet ! No more electric treble disturbance sounds and the high frequencies are just awesome for tape (normal bias cassette ) . I connected the deck to my main system in the living room . I did use tape decks before but I was very young like when I was 15years old to may be to 18 years max .I definitely did not have much stereo gear back then.
Brings back good old memories, warm pleasant sound . I wouldn't say it's better than CD although it's impressive and feels like CD quality as the maxels are also doing their job well .

Thanks to all you guys for your help . Appreciate it . Another vintage unit up and working . Just needs some finishing touches.

Back
Top Bottom