1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical question.

Discussion in 'Non-audio related DIY' started by Farmhand, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

It is likely a connection issue somewhere in either the plug, circuit, or possibly an incorrectly wired circuit. Sometimes DIY folks can get the meaning of the grounding conductor and grounded conductor confused. If those were swapped somewhere in the circuit, the return path would likely be going through earth. Depending on what is plugged in, an incandescent lamp may seem OK but a piece of electronic equipment might just balk at it. I think one of those "u ground" testers with the 3 lights on it should tell immediately if there is an error in the circuit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dingman

Dingman Do you know where your towel is? Subscriber

Inquiring minds would like to know.

3. SolderIron

SolderIron Super Member

Old outlets had lots of plug insertions. The contact fingers got spread apart and will not always make contact. The fix is either a new outlet (less than a buck in hardware) or !!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't do what is after this unless you have the know how to avoid getting killed!!!!!!!!!!! figure out how to bent the contacts back.

I have done it both ways in fixing the problem.

4. Ronald1973

Ronald1973 8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

Same thing here. I have replaced every outlet in this house, and I decided the bedroom needed a USB outlet. Wrong! After managing to get it in, I turned back on the power and it smoked out. I guess something came loose during my attempt to fit it back in.

I wouldn't even worry about spreading the contacts back out. You can get a new outlet for like 78ยข at Walmart.

5. SolderIron

SolderIron Super Member

There is pro and con on fixing rather than replacement. It depends on time spend, knowledge, and skill level.

Pro for fix: about 5 minutes if you know what you are doing. No need to take anything apart.
    Con for fix: One has to know what and how to do it safely or one gets killed.

Pro for new: It is new, will have all the advantage of being new stuff.
    Con for new: One has to know what and how to do it safely or one gets killed. It takes about 10 to 30 minutes to take the old one out and put the new one in (depending on what a person sees once it is open up).