Electro voice Aristocrat-newbie

Stromung

Hi All,

Newbie here shopping around for high efficiency speaker to set up a mono tube amplifier 30 watts . I came accross EV regency via YouTube , I thought it has got midrange but not detailed when it comes with instrument. Then I looked at the Ev 12 trxb, it has high tweeter sound. Along came the Aristocrat, I fell in love. My question is if the Aristocrat is actually a 12trxb or different?

As stated above, there were multiple options for Aristocrats. You will need to remove the grill to look inside to find out what's inside. I have two loaded with 12trxbs. They sound excellent. Good luck in your search. They are out there.

Hey Stomung,

There are a lot of EV and Aristocrat fans here, surely they'll chime in pretty soon. If you do some research on the net, you'll find some answers to your question. The early EV, and other manufacturers of the time, made cabinets that could be loaded with many different combinations of drivers. The Aristocrat came with 3 holes in the front baffle. Depending on which drivers you wanted, these holes were filled, or blocked off. There is no single or two different configurations for the Aristocrat. I picked up one and it had a single University 3-way driver in it. So, for each cabinet you have to open it up and find out what it has inside. There's no way to know until you do that.

Biggles

I've pulled an Altec 601A from an Aristocrat cabinet. You could load whatever you wanted in there.

Depends on what the doctor ordered. Looks like there were a few different versions produced, with different drivers and crossovers.

http://www.electrovoice.com/binary/Aristocrat, I, II, and III EDS.pdf

http://www.vintagevacuumaudio.com/vintage-magazines/hifi/1958-10-hifi-stereo-review.pdf

Thanks for the above links, the old magazine reprint was an interesting read. I now have a few more ideas to search for in terms of the origin of the furniture-grade cabinets my 12TRXBs were installed in...

The fully loaded Regency is a wonderful speaker. The fully loaded Aristocrat is pretty fine, also. The Aristocrat with the basic driver is okay. Which is essentially to say that , in my experience, more is more. The bigger speaker is better than the smaller one, and more drivers are better than less. This isn't my normal response, but with the EVs I've owned or heard, it is pretty consistently true.

The Aristocrat baffle could house a full-range driver, a coaxial, a woofer and T35 tweeter, or a woofer, midrange horn, and tweeter. It was designed to be adaptable. And it's a Klipsch corner horn design, so cabinet size isn't everything.

True that corner placement reinforces bass, but that is equally true of larger corner speakers as well. And not everyone has usefully placed corners.

You have asked a question for which there is no answer. Sound quality is usually a matter of personal preference.

True that corner placement reinforces bass, but that is equally true of larger corner speakers as well. And not everyone has usefully placed corners.

Be aware, though, that some of the larger EV corner cabinets are not corner horns. They're just boxes with the rear corners cut off at a 45* angle.

As time went on EV lowered the resonance of their 12" coaxial speaker for better bass extension. It also made the speaker a little less efficient, but something you shouldn't be concerned with as long as both speaker systems have matching pairs. There was a funeral home that needed one of their speakers re-coned. We ended up sending all 4 in because the sound was different on the first repaired one.

Back
Top Bottom