Electro Voice EV Speakers

Nelson Boyd

In the late 70s my brother had a pair of EV Eliminator II speakers. The enclosures were a black box about 3 ft tall 2ft wide and deep and one side being open. Inside the opening you saw a wedge shaped enclosure (the wedge edge facing outward and horizontal) where the 15 in driver resided. The driver actually faced the rear of the cabinet so you did not see it. Inside the opening and above the wedge was a horn mounted to the top. The speakers were rated at 100 Watts. I have searched the net and did find a set of enclosue plans but there were no driver or horn specs included. Other than the plans I found little else. Any idea where I can get more information on these speakers? I remember they were very impressive.

I remember those fondly. I built a pair back in '74 from some plans I got from SpeakerLab. The tweeter horn was the E-V T-35. I do not know what bass driver was used. I recommend putting your favorite horn friendly driver in there and see how it sounds.

But, before you run off and try this out, remember why E-V built these things in the first place. They were getting tired of all the returns they were getting from electric bass players blowing up speakers in their stage amps. So they purposely put a 15" into an enclosure that was too small as a means to restrict excursion. Then, horn load it to get better sensitivity. The plan worked, and the rate of returns for repair of the Eliminator was greatly reduced compared to other enclosures.

In my particular case, I put a 12" in there and feel that I can get deeper bass out of them than had I used a 15. But, my application is for home use, no pro. If you're thinking of putting together a pro sound system, go for the 15" driver. I originally had an Oaktron Super Big Mag 12 in there, but now I've got some G&S unknown models inside. And yes, I still use these speakers. They form the basis of my main system found in the gallery.

For getting more info on these? No idea. But, just to keep everything clear, a few years ago E-V reintroduced the Eliminator series, but with an entirely different design. I'm guessing just about any web search will come up with the newer ported ones, not the nice W-horn from seveal decades ago.

House de Kris I like your setup. You got a heap of stuff. I'll bet it sounds good. Those speakers bring back memories. I believe you're right on the horns. I saw a couple of T-35Bs on Ebay and they were 16 Ohm. I do recollect the speakers were 16 Ohm. Also I spoke to my brother and asked him how the bass was with those cabinets. He said it didn't have a lot of bass and he would have preferred more. Maybe I'll try a set of 12".

Fishtink thanks for the suggestion. In my searching I came upon this site. There is a lot of good info for EV but nothing for these speakers.

ev eliminator I

helllo nelson, first off i think the speaker your talking about is a eliminator I not II. anyways i have apr of these that im fixing up and the drivers are as follows for each speaker: 15w wooofer,8hd horn with 1823 driver and 2 t35 tweeters.also t35s are getting up there in price and i was told to try motorola(cts)as a substitute.if you want more info goto audio asylum and type in electrovoice eliminator
my post should come up.anyways heres a pic of my elimator awaiting a set of tweeters .i have the horns drivers and woofer aalready(just need some tweeters.good luck with your project,
RADIOACTIVE EV ELIMINATOR

Thanks for the comments Nelson.

As far as model numbers go, I recall that EV made three versions of this Eliminator. One was just the woofer horn alone. Another was with the addition of the T-35 tweeter. The last model was the woofer horn, the 8HD mid horn, and two T-35 tweeters. Thanks to radioactive for reminding me of this.

Back
Top Bottom