Electro-Voice Model 12TRXB

Kim G

Here everyone,
I got a pair of these ( Electro-Voice Model 12TRXB ) in a thrift store, they are in Gee Jay enclosures. Can anyone point me in the direction to find out any info on these? TIA............ Kim

All i can tell you is the drivers MSRP was $104 each and orions used price is $75. Knowing Orion I'm sure the drivers would fetch much more than that on the bay. What did you pay for them?

Mike

Some of the EV speakers can fetch a pretty penny. Not so sure on the market for the TRXB now. Heres a couple of auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361121480

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1363322966

As you can see theres a bit more of them the there is a demand. I have nbever heard the EV Triax speakers but if they are anything like the rest of their line I doubt you will be dissapointed.
I believe the tweet in the center is a T35 model which in itself is pretty desirable. If they were mine I would leave em be if the cabinets are decent. Just be sureee NOT to pump more than 20 watts to them. EV made some of the most efficient speakers and even the larger SP15's can only handle 40 watts if I recall. If you can post a pic I would really like to see what the cabs look like as they sound like the same company used but the pair I just bought. I think its Cee Jay tho. Anyhow great score and I will take a look around and see if I have the specs on yours for ya.

Dave

Hey everyone,
Here is a picture of the cabinet, ( I hope it shows up ) it's not a good picture but you get the idea. I paid $30.50, on sale for half price. I hooked them up to my Pioneer SX 1250 and they sounded pretty good, had it cranked to -28db and they sounded almost as good as my Klipsch Heresy's. Almost.:rolleyes: Does anyone know if there is a site that has the specs for Electro-Voice speakers, power capacity, response rates, etc... ? Thanks for all the info so far............... Kim:D

Hey everyone,
Here is a picture of the cabinet, ( I hope it shows up ) it's not a good picture but you get the idea. I paid $30.50, on sale for half price. I hooked them up to my Pioneer SX 1250 and they sounded pretty good, had it cranked to -28db and they sounded almost as good as my Klipsch Heresy's. Almost.:rolleyes: Does anyone know if there is a site that has the specs for Electro-Voice speakers, power capacity, response rates, etc... ? Thanks for all the info so far............... Kim:D
I'll try to attatch the picture this time!

Kim,

I found an old Electro-Voice catalog from the early sixties.
The following are the specs. from the catalog.

The Model 12TRXB -- Combines an SP12B, T35-type VHF driver,
and integral 6db/ high-pass filter with level control.
Response , 35-20,000 cps. Nom. resonance, 50 cps. Crossovers:
2000 cps mechanical and 3500 cps electrical. 60 watts peak.
16 ohms impedance. EIA sens. rtg., 52 db. Magnets: woofer,
1 lb. 6 oz. ceramic; tweeter, 3.16 oz. Alnico V. 12 1/4 " diam.,
11" baffle opening. 7" depth behind panel. Net Wt., 14 lbs.
Net Each ......................................................... $70.00

The reason it sounded close to your Heresys is that they both use a TW35 and a 12" possibly a EV as well. The triax just gets it all at one level and you can adjust it. That Lpad is probably the weak point. Nice drivers! I had some. Had Heresys too. Go figure. Later Heresys had TW350s, same tweet just no longer alnico.

I bought a pair of 15TRXB II's from an Olson Electronics back in the 70's. They were an Ohio based chain similar to Radio Shack but they sold a lot of name brand gear. I bought my first hifi there. A Fisher 450T receiver (last of the Long Island built Fishers) an AR XA turntable and a pair of Trusonic speakers (Utah not Stephens). for another $25 I could have gotten a pair of AR5's but I just didn't have it. But I digress, The EV 15TRXBII's were a special purchase close out. I paid $59.95 each brand new in the box with warranty. I built cabinets from the enclosed plans that came with the speakers. Used veneered plywood, moldings on the front. made removable grilles with grille cloth from Olson Electronics. They were big honkin' speakers and needed a large room but I was satisfied with the results. I eventually replaced them with a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's . Quite a departure. $60 each for the speakers about $100 all in for the enclosures. I thought, and still do think it was quite a bargain. Wish I still had them, but I feel that way about almost all my hifi gear through the ages.

Back
Top Bottom