Electro Voice sentry 1 info needed

hoto

I recently pick-up a pair of EV sentry 1 fr local garage sale (CAD40.00), triangular shape and in great condition, I was told by the seller that he get this fr his previous workplace(Radio station???), I try to look for more info,but no luck, can anyone tell me about this??am I pay too much for this??m I think it made in the 50-60s???

Thanks

Tom

ELECTV SPK, SENTRY 1 WALL MONITOR
Description:
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1977
Additional Information:
Retail
MSRP: $500.00

If I remember correctly, the Sentry that was made in the seventies was a big squat thing (not the least bit triangular) that used a passive radiator like the contemporaneous Interfaces, and like them used a seperate EQ. The things the poster is describing sound different, and I think I remember an EV ad with an earlier speaker also called the Sentry.

There are at least a half dozen speakers with the Sentry name and I believe there remains one in EV's current catalog. It was the generic name that EV used for their studio monitor line. For a short time, the Sentry line was also marketed to home audio dealers in the late 70's. The Sentry III and IV are the only ones that I have personally seen and heard. These were very large studio monitors. The III was roughly analagous to a JBL L300 or 4333 with a 15" bass driver, large horn midrange and horn tweeter. The IV replaced the 15" bass reflex enclosure with a horn loaded "W" bin containing two 12" drivers. I did see an listing for a Sentry I once on Ebay, and I seem to remember is was a 12" driver with a horn mid/high, but I could be wrong. The Sentry III, Series B is generally considered to be the most desirable model judging Ebay prices.

Recently had the privelige to actually see some EV Sentry III's here locally. Sold quick for $900 !!
Very nice speakers with the furniture woodgrain cabinet instead of the more common black.
Also some Teledyne AR-9's going for $500.

Back
Top Bottom