Electro-Voice "The Leyton" Upgrade

Pioneer Vir

Picked this set of Electro-Voice "The Leyton" speakers up awhile ago from fellow AKer "Wolverine" and finally got around to re-capping the crossovers, replacing the interior wiring and cleaning the cabinets up. Went with Erse Pulse-X to stay at the original 13 uF rating with a single capacitor. The cabinets and grills were in great shape to begin with, espcially for being roughly 50 years old or so.

Needed to get this done to pair them up with a Fisher X-100-C Integrated Amplifier (also courtesy of "Wolverine") and a Fisher 101-R Tuner.

Sometimes after a crossover re-cap I can't always tell a big difference between the before and after. However, in this case I could tell a significant difference. It really brought out some brightness to the speakers and the sound didn't sound so "muffled". I don't have the greatest ears but I could definately tell the improvement in the mid and up frequencies.

I've included a 10-minute PowerPoint "special" of the crossover diagram (converted to a .jpg fle) - I was unable to find one anywhere... Maybe someone else can get some use from it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Dpm

Attachments

• Electro-Voice The Leyton Cabinet Before 1.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Cabinet Before 1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Electro-Voice The Leyton Cabinet After 1.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Cabinet After 1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover Before 1.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover Before 1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover After 1.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover After 1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover Diagram.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Crossover Diagram.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Electro-Voice The Leyton Grills Before 1.jpg
    Electro-Voice The Leyton Grills Before 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 146
Hello Pioneer Vir,

Recently found a pair of Leytons that were in such good shape, I had to take them home.
They are in perfect working order other that needing a recap. No scratching from the pots as the previous owner had given them a deoxit treatment.
While researching, came across your thread about your Leyton upgrades.
Was hoping you would not mind passing along some more info about your experience with them.
You chose to go with an Erse Pulse-X capacitor. Have not used them before. Did they meet your expectations.
What gauge of wire did you use inside.
I am fairly new to going through vintage speakers and was surprised to find that there was no filler, fiberglass or otherwise inside the cabinets.

The_Leytons.jpg 20170525_131531.jpg 20170525_044158.jpg 20170525_044122.jpg

I picked up a set of Electro Voice Leytons. I was surprised to find the speakers were not labeled and did not seem to be the LS-8 speaker or the 12BW woofer. I've included a photo of the speakers. Are these originals? I'm thinking that after I replace the capacitors and figure out the cross over frequencies. I probably will replace the speaker with one that has a better top end than 13000 Hertz. The cross over is supposed to be 200 Hertz so it would need to be a full range. Seems this speaker was paired with a subwoofer for extended bass sound. I've worked mostly with old Jensen (Duette) and AR - 4xa, 2ax so this Electro Voice seems to have a more sophisticated crossover but limited high end.

Attachments

• 20171223_174503.jpg
    20171223_174503.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom