Electro-Voice Wolverine LS12 project?

Fast_Eddie

Upper-middle fi
Hey Guys,

Quick story- when I was a kid my sister dated this guy. He gave me my first "real" speakers. A pair of Electro-Voice Wolverine LS12s in some badly water damaged cabinets. Being a kid, I didn't think much of them. No foam surrounds, and they have a whizzer cone! They must be junk. Long story short, they were left in the basement, mom sold the house after dad died. You get the idea.

So I really wanted another pair. I told that story (though certainly a much longer version, probably over a few bears) to fellow AKer Brainsmasher. Low and behold look what I have to play with now! These should make a great project to go with my tube amp project (also from Brainsmasher!! Thanks!!) But I don't know exactly what to do with them. You guys have any ideas? I thought I might try an open baffle with them. I believe they are the kind of speakers that would be good candidates for that?

I'll post the paramaters I found on line in the next post. For now, some pics of these beauties! Sorry, the macro sucks on this camera.

Last edited:
Fast Eddie,

I have the three way version.. the LT-12 of that speaker. It was mounted in a Heathkit cabinet that was ported. Actually, pretty decent sounding without a re-cap yet. The cabinets did not have any dampening (insulation, Acoust-stuff). The cabinets are absolutely beautiful as was the matching Barzilay equipment cabinet. They came with some Eico tube gear. :D

Would dimensions of my cabs help you out at all?

Qts: 1.722

Open baffle for sure. You might even want to staple a "blanket" of fiberglass behind the woofer and line the inside/backside of the baffle with fiberglass, to lower the Q. Generally, you don't want a system Q of over about 1.1... 1.7 is very high...

On second thought- I wonder about the verisimilitude of those measurements. Never seen an EV before with a Qts THAT high. Might be worth finding someone who has a Woofer Tester (WT or WT2) and testing the ones you have, yourself, just to be sure. Especially given the vast variation in woofer Fs noted noted for several samples, on the web page sited... lower Fs SHOULD be accompanied by lower Qts (both would be indicative of a softer suspension on that particular unit, compared to the others)...

Regards,
Gordon.

OB is well worth consideration. I know that the LS-8 works well on an OB. You'll probably want to add a supertweeter; the HF from that big whizzer is kind of limited in range. I like the old Radio Shack 40-1375 planar tweeter, but there are many, many good choices, vintage and new.

Qts of the Wolverine drivers is indeed pretty high. I know folks have liked the SP-12 in a TQWT; wonder if the LS-12 might be a fair candidate for a TQWT (yes, it'd be kind of large). Maybe Godzilla's "Bigger is Better"?

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Then again, there is always the EV nomograph for bass reflex cabinet design for these (and all of its contemporaries) in Tech Bulletin 10(A).

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/Bulletin10A.pdf

Those full rangers can be fun.

I was over at Keggers yesterday listening to some 8" MTX drivers with whizzers that he slapped into some ported cabinets I gave him. It was amazing. Those little blue speakers had all the highs one could want coupled with a broad soundstage and great imaging; pretty much a knock your socks off situation. They could use a bit more in the bass department, but they have pleated paper surrounds, so my guess is that they'll find the bottom better once those fibers start to soften and supple up.

Sounds like you've got some fun on your hands, pardner :thmbsp:

Jensen Ultraflex (basically the Onken) can be used. Semi-complicated bass reflex design. If you google around you can find the design with measurements, etc.

A lot of great ideas here guys. Thanks!

Soon as the amp is done I'll be doing something with these. I'll keep you updated.

THe LS-8 would be a better extended-range midrange. Heck, EV even used it (and the SP-8B) as such in a series of speaker systems they made and sold in the early days of stereo!

EVLeyton.jpg

EV3-waysystems1961.jpg

esquire.jpg

I run LS-12's in my main system in factory closed cabinets of about 6 cubic feet, never bothered to add tweeters to them.

Back
Top Bottom