ELECTROCOMPANIENT

Well, the Electrocompaniet ECI-6D arrived at the first of the week. I am aware that I have not given it enough time, however, after listening to it for hours each day, I have come to the conclusion that it's sound is not for me. It certainly is more powerful than my Rotel A12 was, has a thicker overall sound with more bass, but the top end is missing something though. There isn't really any sparkle. I guess I kind've get the "tube-like" description attributed to it via some of the reviews I've read, but for me it kind've comes off as two-dimensional, safe, and fairly boring. So...I have contacted my dealer and proposed an exchange. After looking through their integrated choices, I have decided to go for the Teac NR-7CD. Being that I listen mainly to CD's and this unit is affiliated with the Japanese parent-brand, Esoteric, I would expect it to be detailed, clear, articulate, powerful, and smooth. I am excited for this opportunity to finally obtain an Esoteric-esque piece for my collection. Further, I am appreciative of my dealer for working with ole-finicky me. I will keep folks posted. Just curious if anyone has any experience w the Teac NR-7CD? Apparently it is fairly close in sound as the ai-503 integrated as it has the same DAC. However, the Teac NR-7CD has more power, dual mono circuits and, of course, the built-in CD player.

Well, the Electrocompaniet ECI-6D arrived at the first of the week. I am aware that I have not given it enough time, however, after listening to it for hours each day, I have come to the conclusion that it's sound is not for me. It certainly is more powerful than my Rotel A12 was, has a thicker overall sound with more bass, but the top end is missing something though. There isn't really any sparkle. I guess I kind've get the "tube-like" description attributed to it via some of the reviews I've read, but for me it kind've comes off as two-dimensional, safe, and fairly boring. So...I have contacted my dealer and proposed an exchange. After looking through their integrated choices, I have decided to go for the Teac NR-7CD. Being that I listen mainly to CD's and this unit is affiliated with the Japanese parent-brand, Esoteric, I would expect it to be detailed, clear, articulate, powerful, and smooth. I am excited for this opportunity to finally obtain an Esoteric-esque piece for my collection. Further, I am appreciative of my dealer for working with ole-finicky me. I will keep folks posted. Just curious if anyone has any experience w the Teac NR-7CD? Apparently it is fairly close in sound as the ai-503 integrated as it has the same DAC. However, the Teac NR-7CD has more power, dual mono circuits and, of course, the built-in CD player.
Amps usually have a break in period as you may already know so it could be that yours isn’t/wasn’t run in yet , if you haven’t checked with the manufacturer on there recommend run in time for your amp that may be the answer to why your hearing it the way you are. Same applies to the next amp you get with different variables to the time it takes for it to break in .

Audiofreak71

It might be a plan to take your speakers in to the dealer and have a good session there. You will know straight off when you get the right amp.
You cannot second guess it based on reviews , specs etc.

I appreciate the thoughts...my speakers are working wonderfully...they sounded much better w my existing Rotel A12 then w the new amp. While I completely agree that amps need some break in time...and I surely did not give it enough of that, there was a general sound profile that I simply did not care for. I would think many would. I plan to give the TEAC as many hours as it needs. I should have gone w it first.

Attachments

• 61axQouEZFL._SL1500_.jpg
    61axQouEZFL._SL1500_.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 35
Is this a suggestion that the TEAC is cheap? Their CD players have been traditionally revered. i.e. PD-H600 or VRDS.

Is this a suggestion that the TEAC is cheap?
I believe it's a suggestion that replacement parts are inexpensive. Inexpensive aka "cheap" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

Also, modern buffered DACs mean the transport mechanism -- the mechanical gubbins of a CD player -- has no impact on sound quality. It's just a means to copy data off the disk. Thus, pretty much any working transport that can spin the disk and slurp a signal out of the laser head is as good as any other.

Many excellent-quality things are inexpensive. Conversely, some expensive things are poor quality.

I believe it's a suggestion that replacement parts are inexpensive. Inexpensive aka "cheap" does not necessarily mean poor quality.

Also, modern buffered DACs mean the transport mechanism -- the mechanical gubbins of a CD player -- has no impact on sound quality. It's just a means to copy data off the disk. Thus, pretty much any working transport that can spin the disk and slurp a signal out of the laser head is as good as any other.

Many excellent-quality things are inexpensive. Conversely, some expensive things are poor quality.
Right. If the OP meant that if/when the CD transport broke in the future, it would be inexpensive to fix, fair enough. I am excited about this piece because of the reviews I have read, it's beautiful looks, and the fact that TEAC is affiliated w Esoteric. I made a mistake w the Electrocompaniet in that I discounted the reviews that described the sound as very warm and "tubelike" which is not my preference. I am hopeful that this piece does the trick.

Last edited:
...Right. If the OP meant that if/when the CD transport broke in the future, it would be inexpensive to fix, fair enough...

What I posted was to help you down the track, for when you will need to replace the laser and/or the transport. And yes, the transport/optical parts are very cheap- which is a good thing. They are made by the millions in China. In fact the same laser/mech is used in many portable mini boomboxes. I even pulled one out of a Barbie CD player I found on the side of the road.

Clearly, the rest of the machine appears to be quite well made and I hope you enjoy it.

...TEAC is affiliated w Esoteric...

Esoteric was/is Teac's luxury badge, just like Infinity and Lexus are for Nissan and Toyota respectively.

What I posted was to help you down the track, for when you will need to replace the laser and/or the transport. And yes, the transport/optical parts are very cheap- which is a good thing. They are made by the millions in China. In fact the same laser/mech is used in many portable mini boomboxes. I even pulled one out of a Barbie CD player I found on the side of the road.

Clearly, the rest of the machine appears to be quite well made and I hope you enjoy it.

Esoteric was/is Teac's luxury badge, just like Infinity and Lexus are for Nissan and Toyota respectively.
Ha! That's funny! Barbie CD player! :) Made me laugh! It's also funny because in the ad for the NR-7CD it specifically states that the CD transport "...used, [is] one that we have designed and manufactured ourselves, has a proven track record, having been used in many professional CD players." They seemed to have left out that they have been used in Barbie CD players as well! Guess they didn't see that as a selling point for a multi-thousand dollar hi-end unit. Go figure. I get your point, though, I guess if/when it goes bad, it won't be an expensive fix. Since this unit most likely will be something I own for a LONG time, that could very well happen down the road. Appreciate the thoughts...
I do think the twin powers and DACs look well thought out, designed, and implemented, and the sound is described by review after review as "smooth" and "detailed". I think that combination sounds quite nice.

Last edited:
I agree. I think they have made some nice units over the years the AG-H600DNT and the PD-H600 CD were both well thought of. As well as the ai-2000.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 16
  • teac_ag_h600dnt__1_.jpg
    teac_ag_h600dnt__1_.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 15
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 15
It sure is a lovely looking unit. Teach have produced some amazing gear over the years.

Their gold-finished mini components in the late 90s were beautiful things. This series:

View attachment 1331822

Reference 500 IIRC

View attachment 1331828

I've got a receiver that looks like that, 300-something. Clearly better than the small Denon CD-receiver it replaced. Both have some noise even with the volume turned down though, but the Teac is way better. Quite reasonable reception. I had a weird problem with it power cycling and acting strange a short time after I bought it (auction site, picked up in person). I opened it up and my suspicion is that the cause was a solder whisker which probably shorted something to the chassis. After that I haven't had a problem. Right now it's in a box, but usually I've had it set up as a computer amp.

Edit: two letters had run away...

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the big day. Super excited. Wish I would have chosen the TEAC first with my preferences, but better late than never!

Well, went and picked the unit up and was super excited. Brought it home, hooked it up, and the dang right channel does not work...no sound, VU meter staying still...nothing... switched my speaker cables around just to make sure, and the right side still not working...darn. I have requested an exchange for another one...although I am a bit weary of the unit now...but I am willing to give it one more try I guess. I told the dealer in my email that I am not interested in bringing it up there and having it cracked open and work being done on it...no thanks. New one or I bail. Guess we'll see how it pans out. Disappointing for sure.

Back
Top Bottom