Electrohome Dominion Speakers + Tubed amplifier and tuner

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
Hey AK,

I've been offered this very interesting combination of gear.. it is an Electrohome Dominion set of speakers with the 12TXRB driver, and also has the matching amplifier and tuner to go with it. The amplifier has distortion in one channel.

The gear is completely original.

Does anyone have any insight into this gear? The drivers are different than the normal 12TXRBs I could find. The owner says they are dated 1961, which seems a bit early for what these look like, but who knows.

Asking is $500 Canadian.

Here is an ad showing the exact same set-up I am being offered: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648979445-1950s_extra__rare_donion_electrohome_tube_gear/

Thanks all!

Hey AK,

I've been offered this very interesting combination of gear.. it is an Electrohome Dominion set of speakers with the 12TXRB driver, and also has the matching amplifier and tuner to go with it. The amplifier has distortion in one channel.

The gear is completely original.

Does anyone have any insight into this gear? The drivers are different than the normal 12TXRBs I could find. The owner says they are dated 1961, which seems a bit early for what these look like, but who knows.

Asking is $500 Canadian.

Here is an ad showing the exact same set-up I am being offered: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648979445-1950s_extra__rare_donion_electrohome_tube_gear/

Thanks all!

The set up in the ad is very impressive looking, but I'm amazed that it's 1961. The design is WAY out there for that era. Looks more like 1969-70! Is there a Canadian Museum of Design, cuz that should be in it?!

I've heard good things about E' home tube stuff. If the gear on offer is truly the same as in the ad, I would be all over it.

The drivers in the ad look like Goodmans Triaxiom (google image search), not EV.

Can you get pics of the set you're being offered?

The set up in the ad is very impressive looking, but I'm amazed that it's 1961. The design is WAY out there for that era. Looks more like 1969-70! Is there a Canadian Museum of Design, cuz that should be in it?!

I've heard good things about E' home tube stuff. If the gear on offer is truly the same as in the ad, I would be all over it.

The drivers in the ad look like Goodmans Triaxiom (google image search), not EV.

Can you get pics of the set you're being offered?

Yep I do have pictures. I had a look at them and they are identical to what is in the ad I posted. I can certainly upload them later but they aren't any different. OH, except I do have a shot of the rear of the driver. I'll post that.

Hmm you might be right about them being Goodmans.. though that would seem fairly odd because of the fact Electrohome = Electrovoice, so I am still leaning towards it being the 12TXRB.. but they do look very similar.

Here is the pic of the rear of the driver.

mms_20160504_115636.jpg

Edit:

Wow, they do look like the Goodmans Triaxiom 1220c:

353110-goodmans_triaxiom_1220c_12_triple_element_speaker.jpg

But then, the front is much different:

353105-goodmans_triaxiom_1220c_12_triple_element_speaker.jpg

I wonder if Electrohome contracted the drivers out to Goodmans and had these drivers custom-made. The tweeter looks more like the EV T-35 and the cone looks more like the 12TXRB, but the basket and magnet look a lot more like the Goodmans Triaxiom 1220c. I have no idea what to make of this!

Edit 2:

Looking at the cone, actually there is a variant of the Triaxiom 1220 that has the ribbed surround, but they all have smooth cones. However, this driver is almost identical because if you look where the whizzer cone is, inside it looks like there is a foam donut underneath the tweeter, and the Triaxiom 1220 has this, whereas the Electrovoice 12TXRB simply has a flat, felt (or perhaps cloth) cover. The real anomaly here is the cone, the unmarked basket, and also the tweeter. I am not sure which tweeter it is.

Here's a picture of that variant of the Triaxiom:

goodmans-triaxiom-1220-6.jpg

And the driver in the Electrohomes:

402756-1950s_extra__rare_donion_electrohome_tube_gear.jpg

Edit 3: The tweeter looks very similar to the tweeter employed on the Goodmans 208. Not exactly the same though..

Edit 4: OK think I got the tweeter. Looks like it came from a Goodmans 250c, which, this driver might just be.

$_1.JPG

So.. if I have this right.. this driver has the basket and casing of the Goodmans 12/20, and the cone and surround are likely also borrowed from the 12/20, but then the tweeter comes from the 250c. This must have been a custom job.

Last edited:
super cool looking. those do look like goodmans. also, you can swap in other 12" drivers down the road. i have some vintage allied-knight cabinets and now have audionirvana 12" in them.

I hope your delay in posting is because you're already picking up this rig. This is Canuck audio heritage, plus MCM classic design! Wharfedales can wait, I'd say!

Or you could ask seller for me about shipping to Guelph, Ontario (near Kitchener, where the amp was made)!

Also, "Electrohome = Electrovoice" Don't think so. Not aware of any connection.

Last edited:
I hope your delay in posting is because you're already picking up this rig. This is Canuck audio heritage, plus MCM classic design! Wharfedales can wait, I'd say!

Or you could ask seller for me about shipping to Guelph, Ontario (near Kitchener, where the amp was made)!

Also, "Electrohome = Electrovoice" Don't think so. Not aware of any connection.

Oh really? That was just an assumption on my part so I could be completely wrong. I thought perhaps Electrovoice was the driver manufacturer wing of the bigger company Electrohome. But, perhaps the similarities end at "Electro".

These aren't listed for sale, so I'm not concerned about being in a panic to get them, but you guys are really pushing me to get them. I would actually be able to get these and the Wharfedales. :)

OK, NOW, I'm getting jealous :eek2:

The only problem is room.. I don't have another system for this Electrohome system as interesting as it is. I suppose if I like them more than my Fostex, I could move those out and use them in my dedicated space. I am feeling though that perhaps I should just do it regardless.. hmm.. decisions decisions!

Okay, I am convinced the drivers are a variant of the Goodmans Triaxiom 12/20.

The cone, surround, whizzer cone, magnet and basket are the same as what I have found on some of these drivers. The only difference is the tweeter, which as far as I can find, was used on the 212 and 250. I'm not a Goodmans expert but I understand this tweeter is not quite as good as the one on the 12/20 which has a narrower opening.

Essentially, the drivers are well worth the price of admission. I'm pretty sure I'll be bringing this stuff home. Even though I have no spot for it.. I need to try it. The price is right and I love the cabinetry which definitely does not look like it's from 1961! Very cool stuff.

I am going to check it out on Friday.

@PastTechFan, thanks for the tip on Goodmans, I'd have never figured that out myself.

Confirmed: It is indeed a Goodmans Triaxiom driver inside the enclosure. See the catalog here:

Edit: I removed the link as I didn't think about the fact that the website owner may not have the bandwidth to upload the document to a bunch of people, so if you would like to see the catalog, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Here's a shot of the bit that speaks to the driver:

Electrohome 720.jpg

Last edited:
Confirmed: It is indeed a Goodmans Triaxiom driver inside the enclosure. See the catalog here:

Edit: I removed the link as I didn't think about the fact that the website owner may not have the bandwidth to upload the document to a bunch of people, so if you would like to see the catalog, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Here's a shot of the bit that speaks to the driver:

View attachment 729685

I snagged the catalog link while it was up. Pretty impressive. Looks to me like Electrohome's Avro Arrow. Brilliant, but too small a market. It all might have worked out if they sold into the US market, but I don't think they did.

Note the "hand made" amp at 50 watts. I have to assume that would be 25 wpc. Even so.....

Avro_Arrow_3-view.jpg

I snagged the catalog link while it was up. Pretty impressive. Looks to me like Electrohome's Avro Arrow. Brilliant, but too small a market. It all might have worked out if they sold into the US market, but I don't think they did.

Note the "hand made" amp at 50 watts. I have to assume that would be 25 wpc. Even so.....

View attachment 729760

Yeah, it states 50 peak watts, so probably half that. It's a 6BQ5 push pull. But, that's more than plenty. It could push 10 and I'd be happy. Either way, pretty neat stuff. I almost wish I had the stands for the speakers to make it into a console.

That jet is really cool looking.

Last edited:
Cool find on those speakers ,Id be picking them up if the price were right myself as I enjoy single point source vintage drivers ubove 90% of the 2/3 way speakers ive owned over the yrs.If those Goodmans don't quite do it for you look on that site for a pair of Stephens Tru-sonic FR 120's,they are period correct and were some of the bast Full Rangers built in the day.I run their bigger brothers the FR-150's in large Tannoy cabinets

hunter

Back
Top Bottom