Electrohome Dominion Speakers + Tubed amplifier and tuner

Cool find on those speakers ,Id be picking them up if the price were right myself as I enjoy single point source vintage drivers ubove 90% of the 2/3 way speakers ive owned over the yrs.If those Goodmans don't quite do it for you look on that site for a pair of Stephens Tru-sonic FR 120's,they are period correct and were some of the bast Full Rangers built in the day.I run their bigger brothers the FR-150's in large Tannoy cabinets

hunter

I've been realizing lately that gear from this time period, and perhaps earlier, sounds awesome. After hearing Wharfedale W90s it turned my world upside down. A speaker over 50 years old can sound like this? And now I gotta have that sound. It was mesmerizing. So, I'm on the hunt for those or something like it, and these popped up so I hope these Goodmans Triaxiom Electrohome speakers can do that because I'd really like to hold on to them.

I'm leaning towards keeping them original, but that might be an option. Thanks hunter00, I was hoping you would chime in.

well I see you have tubes in you sig.Most of the sweet vintage full rangers/co=axials/triaxils are super effeicent and were made for tube amps/preamp,all produced in the late 50's early sixties.Their construction was top notch,with heavey alnico magnets ,cast aluminum baskets and free cone suspension and edge wound voice coils..
The first time I heard a pair it changed the way I view quality speakers.There is a reason why these speakers along with Altec 604/tannoy coaxials sell for huge dollars and are always appreciateing.in value.
Your 6bq5 tube amp will sound awesome with your goodmans,actually Goodmans are what got my tech buddy and myself into single point source speakers way back,he runs just Tannoys now and myself Stephens tru-sonics.
Let us know how your sound when done

hunter

I've been realizing lately that gear from this time period, and perhaps earlier, sounds awesome. After hearing Wharfedale W90s it turned my world upside down. A speaker over 50 years old can sound like this? And now I gotta have that sound. It was mesmerizing. So, I'm on the hunt for those or something like it, and these popped up so I hope these Goodmans Triaxiom Electrohome speakers can do that because I'd really like to hold on to them.

I'm leaning towards keeping them original, but that might be an option. Thanks hunter00, I was hoping you would chime in.
I've seen the same thing.Period music just doesn't sound the same on newer speakers in spite of what many say.I have two sets of big 60s speakers and because of their size it is tough keeping them around but I heard the sound so I manage.For now anyway.

Last edited:
I am heading back home, the gear is in the back of the car. They sounded pretty good, they have a nice musical tone. It'll be interesting to get them set up at home to see what they sound like. Also, he has the matching turntable with cabinet, so I have to go back to get that. It's a Garrard type A, not sure what that means but he said it's a very good turntable.

I am heading back home, the gear is in the back of the car. They sounded pretty good, they have a nice musical tone. It'll be interesting to get them set up at home to see what they sound like. Also, he has the matching turntable with cabinet, so I have to go back to get that. It's a Garrard type A, not sure what that means but he said it's a very good turntable.

:jump:

Maybe you can leave me that rig in your will! Enjoy til then. Pics necessary soon.

Garrard Type A is ok... Have to get it because it matches, no way around it. Can't split it up... That setup would have a permanent place somewhere in my home at all times. Excellent grab. :thumbsup:

OK so I've got the gear home and I've been playing around with it a little bit. Actually, just the speakers, there's no way I'm firing up the amplifier.

Well, first impressions of the speakers are a bit mixed. There's potential in them, for sure, which is definitely because of the drivers. Unfortunately, the one area I was hoping they wouldn't cheap out on, they did, which was the cabinets for the speakers. They're 1/2" thick cabinets with only a bit of damping inside. They are braced internally, which is good, but the thin cabinets resonate. They really lack bass unfortunately. However, the midrange is very good. Instruments sound fairly natural and voices are clear. It has that exquisite musical tone that this era of gear seems to have. The treble certainly seems rolled off, but I wonder if this has to do with the adjustments and the capacitors. I opened up the backs, and the capacitors are old Mallory's. I am not sure if they are paper in oil or if they are electrolytic. Either way, I think these need to go. I think doing that will improve the sound quite a bit.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the purchase, the condition overall is great for their age and I really adore the way they look. MCM is my favourite style of furniture so these really are right up my alley. Once I have had some time to pull things apart and inspect each piece more closely, I will post a proper thread with pictures.

Okay, bass and treble problems are sorted out, I didn't have the pots adjusted properly on the back and I was listening to them out of phase. Whoops! Talk about a newbie mistake. They sound a lot better now!

Definitely recap unless they are pio and test well. I recapped my Jensen triaxials and it improved the sound. Also, the drivers need some time to wake up.

The treble certainly seems rolled off
certainly find the proper value caps and recap Canuckaudio.The one thing ive found with these single point speakers is the top end is not as accented as most audio dudes are used to hearing.The Midrange is where they really shine exposeing all musical content,the top lacks a bit and the bottom end can be either way depending on the make/model of speaker.
Thru experimentation I found that adding a vintage compression horn of quality will take care of any and all deficentcys in that regard,then theres the bass to improve if needed,my cure for that was the the 15 inch models as opposed to the 12 inch.
My Stephens fr150's I found to be the complete full package when mated with a JBL 075 horn like these which I built..excellent bass/mids and top end..

hunter2015-08-24 06.14.36.jpg

Unfortunately, I discovered one of the tweeters is not functioning :(

Very disappointing as I really like the way this gear looks, and the one speaker on its own sounds great. I've contacted the seller about it, here's hoping he is willing to work something out.

I have the same (or very similar) Electrohome speakers in my basement. My cabs, although identical in style, are not faced in white, they are walnut veneer all over. I agree with your conclusion that the drivers are Goodmans Triaxiom 12/20s - but I think they are 12/20s right down to the tweeter (why would Electrohome need or want to pay for custom jobs from Goodmans?) The extension (horn) that bolts onto the tweet is different but they are interchangeable across a number of Triaxiom models. When I brought mine home years ago I too noticed low output from one of the tweeters. After some testings I too found a dead tweeter. I actually transplanted a tweeter from a later Triaxiom (1220 I think) and while I then had HF it was still less than what was being produced from the original 12/20. I did recap both and found no difference. One thing led to another and I put them on the shelf. Going to sort these out one day as they do sound nice with a 6 to 10 watt tube amp. The one good working speaker does sound nice but I think the cab volume limits the true bass potential of the driver.

BTW hoping things take a few turns for the better in Fort McMurray!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I discovered one of the tweeters is not functioning :(

Very disappointing as I really like the way this gear looks, and the one speaker on its own sounds great. I've contacted the seller about it, here's hoping he is willing to work something out.

That's a bit of a drag. Looks like Goodmans horn tweets were called "Trebax".

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/midaxcatalog.html

There's a single on that auction site (UK). Not sure how all that was installed into a triaxiom.

Maybe some hope from this site:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108879

"(Midax) horn isnt working and it reads zero on the VOM, it is a Goodmans Midax 15ohm horn. my question is: can it be repaired? ....................

Had the horn read open, or a high resistance, I would say that it's possible to fix it as the studs that connect to the voice coil could be badly corroded. Reading zero ohms, a dead short, I'd say the voice coil has "melted down" and it would be highly unlikely that it can be fixed."

Last edited:
That's a bit of a drag. Looks like Goodmans horn tweets were called "Trebax".

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/midaxcatalog.html

There's a single on that auction site (UK). Not sure how all that was installed into a triaxiom.

Maybe some hope from this site:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108879

"(Midax) horn isnt working and it reads zero on the VOM, it is a Goodmans Midax 15ohm horn. my question is: can it be repaired? ....................

Had the horn read open, or a high resistance, I would say that it's possible to fix it as the studs that connect to the voice coil could be badly corroded. Reading zero ohms, a dead short, I'd say the voice coil has "melted down" and it would be highly unlikely that it can be fixed."

I'm thinking it's fixable because the tweeter reads about 0.8ohms so not a dead short. I have no clue how I would get it apart though.

I have the same (or very similar) Electrohome speakers in my basement. My cabs, although identical in style, are not faced in white, they are walnut veneer all over. I agree with your conclusion that the drivers are Goodmans Triaxiom 12/20s - but I think they are 12/20s right down to the tweeter (why would Electrohome need or want to pay for custom jobs from Goodmans?) The extension (horn) that bolts onto the tweet is different but they are interchangeable across a number of Triaxiom models. When I brought mine home years ago I too noticed low output from one of the tweeters. After some testings I too found a dead tweeter. I actually transplanted a tweeter from a later Triaxiom (1220 I think) and while I then had HF it was still less than what was being produced from the original 12/20. I did recap both and found no difference. One thing led to another and I put them on the shelf. Going to sort these out one day as they do sound nice with a 6 to 10 watt tube amp. The one good working speaker does sound nice but I think the cab volume limits the true bass potential of the driver.

BTW hoping things take a few turns for the better in Fort McMurray!

Thanks for the information. I agree with you about the cabs, I think they are the weak point in the speakers. How did you change the tweeter? There appears to be a cloth donut that's attached to the horn and the cone so I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe if I get it apart I can fix it.

Hello,

A little late but I just came across this thread and what a find. I live in Kitchener-Waterloo and collect Electrohome stereos (this is where they were built) but I actually never looked into the perception modules because I didn't think they existed until I bought the Perception Television this past December.

Now it is that last stereo I would like to find to complete my collection as well as the Electrohome Speaker Chair. You mentioned that you were told to go back for the record player module. I would have thought that would be the hardest module to find - did you go back for it?

I am pretty excited to find out the record player module exists since most of the components were returned from the stores and repurposed.

I absolutely love Canadian Design and Electrohome made some beautiful stereos.

If you ever find out about more modules or are interested in parting with any of yours (working or not) - I would love an opportunity to complete my collection.

If possible, I would love to see an image of the system and find out if you have the record player module or know if it is still available.

Pretty cool - modmoderne@hotmail.com

2C60BFF4-7BF6-4A58-85E3-B3430D1DB4A2.jpg
IMG_0908.JPG

Back
Top Bottom