Electrolytic Capacitor Shoot-Out

Iam in the process of replacing electrolytic capacitors in my Power amps (monoblocks). I've purchased ES II from Handmade Electronics who is a reputable vendor in the states.

I was hoping you'll View attachment 1014825 could guide me in the right direction.

I consider replacing all the caps marked in the attached picture, the corner ones (top/bottom) are Panasonic FC bypassing powersupply caps. Planning to replace them with ES II 1000uf/50vdc.

The ones in the center I want to use ES II 220uf/35vdc x 4 replacing the existing 8 caps as seen in the pic.

Why are you replacing them? Are they damaged?

Iam in the process of replacing electrolytic capacitors in my Power amps (monoblocks). I've purchased ES II from Handmade Electronics who is a reputable vendor in the states.

I was hoping you'll View attachment 1014825 could guide me in the right direction.

I consider replacing all the caps marked in the attached picture, the corner ones (top/bottom) are Panasonic FC bypassing powersupply caps. Planning to replace them with ES II 1000uf/50vdc.

The ones in the center I want to use ES II 220uf/35vdc x 4 replacing the existing 8 caps as seen in the pic.

You also sent me a PM, I sent you a PM back.

Pat

For what it's worth I just recapped the PS board on a Marantz 2275 and thought this would be as good a place as any to relate what I have found. Based on observations the PS caps were original. I just finished getting everything back together and running. Going to give the unit a few hours of play and then see if I can determine any improvement based on patfont's original observation that the PS recap would yield the most improvement.

Original Caps: New Caps: Panosonic FC
Specification: Tested at: Tested at:
330/50v Capacitance Reading 354 Capacitance Reading 314
220/60v " 226 " " 203
470/16v " " 444 " " 492
100/50v " " 98 " " 96
220/10v " " 281 " " 244
10/50v " " 12 " " 10
47/16v " " 54 " " 52
22/35v " " 25 " " 22

Note: the original caps were all Nippon Chemi-Con with the exception of 330/50V which was an Elna.

** Looks like the my formatting is lost when I post. Sorry -- first numbers are specifications, second number is testing results for original caps and third number is testing for new Panosonic FC caps.

OK - ran the receiver for 3-4 hours and then played a variety of my favorites on both vinyl and CD. It's subjective but I would say overall the receiver sounds what I would describe as stronger and clearer with better defined highs and lows. Prior to the recap I had the impression the overall sound was less defined.
I would save the $4.50 worth of caps and the hour or so to replace the old caps was worthwhile and I'm happy with the results. Sounds very good to me and after all that's what is important. In the future if I'm working on a 70's receiver or amp I would replace the PS caps as a matter of course.

OK - ran the receiver for 3-4 hours and then played a variety of my favorites on both vinyl and CD. It's subjective but I would say overall the receiver sounds what I would describe as stronger and clearer with better defined highs and lows. Prior to the recap I had the impression the overall sound was less defined.
I would save the $4.50 worth of caps and the hour or so to replace the old caps was worthwhile and I'm happy with the results. Sounds very good to me and after all that's what is important. In the future if I'm working on a 70's receiver or amp I would replace the PS caps as a matter of course.

Nice, will you be doing the rest of the receiver?

Nice, will you be doing the rest of the receiver?
Not right now but a possible project sometime in the new year. I've got a Pioneer and Sansui that need a little more TLC but once these are in order I might take on the 2275 again. If you were me what board/section would you tackle next?

I usually go:

P/S
Amp
Large caps
Phono
Preamp

I will do the large caps with the amp board/boards if it makes work space easier.

Did a little more testing on the Power Supply Capacitors I replaced on my Marantz 2275. Have a look at this picture -- my take away is even in cases where Capacitance testing shows the cap to be good it's possible the ESR could be bad. Not sure what the effect on performance would be in this case but once again it seems replacing the Power Supply caps in a vintage unit is the way to go.
Marantz 2275 Cap Test.JPG

Silmic II are on the Phono Board

Well I did not waste any time the board is done. One thing to remember it takes at least 2-5 hours of play for them to sound their best and I have seen as high as 100 hours break in period on one sellers site.
Pat, Just reading your cap tests from a few years ago. Trying to get the best filter caps for my 2220b rebuild. Any thoughts on what's out there today?

I would go with the 6800uf Nichicon KG's from Michael Percy or Parts Connexion-35mmX50mm

I also really like the Elna LAO audio grade from Digikey, however they are 30mm and require 2 30mm clamps.

Hope this helps!

Ju
Silmic II up and running!

The Silmic II are in and running.

Here is a comparison pic of the 470uf 63V cap Panasonic FC vs the Silmic II, the Silmic is much larger.

Here they are installed.

Will follow up in next post with initial impressions:

Something to know: Panasonic FC is a "General Purpose cap"
Elna Silmic II is "designed for Audio"

Just recapped my power supply board and saw your pictures. I noticed my board does not have the heat sink yours has. Is it attached to the board or just the transistor?

Hi. Would love an answer to this question.

What was your final opinion on mundorf ag vs nichicon kg vs kendial 05

You settled on the mundorfs what was the reason for that, they are about 2-3 times the cost of the nichicons
was it worth the extra cost, what did you think of the kendials

Many thanks

Hi. Would love an answer to this question.

What was your final opinion on mundorf ag vs nichicon kg vs kendial 05

You settled on the mundorfs what was the reason for that, they are about 2-3 times the cost of the nichicons
was it worth the extra cost, what did you think of the kendials

Many thanks

I can not recommend the Kendials because of availability. The set I bought was from ebay and the Rep. said they were genuine.

For main filters/coupling caps I like:

Nichicon KG
Elna LAO, Digikey has these in stock but is very limited to size and value-I always use these if I can in smaller powered receivers and integrated amps.

In a cap coupled design with a power cap I like Nichicon KG or if you want to spend the extra money either the Mundorf or Jensen 4 pole capacitor.

Which KG did you use, there is a type one, two and three. The highest grade is the type three also called superthrough, type two has a square solder lug with a hole drilled through it, and the lowest grade is type three with a triangular shaped solder lug.

Why did you use digikey for the caps, was the price the best, i was thinking of european sources as there is no import tax to pay. Did you compare to anyone else or is digikey your default choice.

Why elna silmic in a power supply i thought they were more signal path resistors, which other caps did you compare the silmics to.

Many thanks.

I am looking to get some power supply caps for a Harman Kardon 730 twin. I like ELNA's but the only LAO I can find that are in the value and voltage range I would consider are only to be found on the bay. I am somewhat leery of the bay as there are a lot of counterfeit caps there as noted here and on other forums. Is there a way to identify the fake LAO caps found on the bay or other sources? Should I consider another brand from a known source. May have been answered already but my search doesn't turn it up handily.

Thanks

what dimensions are the filter caps? 4700uf 50v in service manual? should be easily found, all depends on dimensions i suppose. Not sure what LAO is, i would be looking for good quality caps from mouser or digikey. You may have to bump up values slightly to get a cap that will fit, need dimensions and lead spacing

what dimensions are the filter caps? 4700uf 50v in service manual? should be easily found, all depends on dimensions i suppose. Not sure what LAO is, i would be looking for good quality caps from mouser or digikey. You may have to bump up values slightly to get a cap that will fit, need dimensions and lead spacing

LAO are ELNA caps specific for audio power supplies. I checked the latest spec sheet for the LAO ELNA, and evidently the 10000uf aren't made anymore, if they even were.

Back
Top Bottom