Electrostatic headphones

tyler_shoe

Tyler Shoemaker
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about electrostatics in general? In terms of headphones, are they the ultimate audio experience (strictly headphones)? --I know a lot of this depends on your system. If you like electrostatics, what are some good names/models. If not, what else is out there that's better?

I'm trying to save up for a pair of Stax Headphones (aka, Earspeakers)

But first I want to find a dealer to listen to them, to see for my self how good they really are.

For 2 years now I have been using Bose Around ear headphones. Which to me are very good alrounders.

I'm saving up for a used pair of Stax electrostatics too.

I already have a pair of their electrets and they are easily my best 'phones.

I'm saving up for a used pair of Stax electrostatics too.

I already have a pair of their electrets and they are easily my best 'phones.

I know I will get improved sound with the Stax over my Bose headphones. But would the bass on the stax be better too???

I know I will get improved sound with the Stax over my Bose headphones. But would the bass on the stax be better too???

I like the bass on mine-- I find it snappy and accurate, but not scull-fractuingly boomy, if that's what you're into.

Philip.

Stax

I listened to a pair of their $1800 ear Speakers , closed my eyes , and the sound seemed like it was 20 feet in front of me and 20 ft behind , all the frequencies were exactly spot on match and is truly some of the best listening I've ever done... Their beautifully Amazing !

I like the bass on mine-- I find it snappy and accurate, but not scull-fractuingly boomy, if that's what you're into.

Philip.

No I'm not into boomy sound thank you very much:nono::D

The bass in a headphone I like is natural, detailed and dynamic.

I listened to a pair of their $1800 ear Speakers , closed my eyes , and the sound seemed like it was 20 feet in front of me and 20 ft behind , all the frequencies were exactly spot on match and is truly some of the best listening I've ever done... Their beautifully Amazing !

Hi,

Can you give me the Stax model you listened to please.

Thanks

I'm trying to save up for a pair of Stax Headphones (aka, Earspeakers)

But first I want to find a dealer to listen to them, to see for my self how good they really are.

For 2 years now I have been using Bose Around ear headphones. Which to me are very good alrounders.

I have a pair of Stax Lambda Pro's with the amp converter box thing. The amp you use to drive them makes a HUGE difference in the sound.

I have a pair of Stax Lambda Pro's with the amp converter box thing. The amp you use to drive them makes a HUGE difference in the sound.[/Q

One day when I get a nice stax system, I'll be using it through my Rotel RC-03 Pre amp.

I really wonder how these things will sound compare to my beloved TDL speakers. These TDL speakers I have are very hard to beat.

They have almost muched bettered every loudspeaker me and my father has owned. The sound stage, image, detail, bass and dynamics is very breath taking with these speakers.

But now, my Dad has a pair of Martin Logan Quest 'Z' speakers which is a completely different Animal.

My bud has a pair signed by David Bowie (his kid was at OSU and my bud met him at some school function for his son..my friends student. They are open air units so not gonna be dead not bother anyone quiet...but great sound!

I used to have SR-84 (started to type "EL-84's"!) and they were decent, but what I did not know at the time was how dependent they were on the amp. The amp I had at the time was dreck. If you buy Stax, use tubes, preferably SET - not many watts needed, or class-A solid state. The Yamaha M-35 would be excellent.

I now have SR-5's, powered by a modded, single-ended triode SRA-3S amp, and they have bass plus everything else. I had Sennheiser HD-600's for a while, and they could almost keep up with the earspeakers. Few moving-coil headphones can compete with 'stats.

For those saving up for Stax, consider SR-5, SR-X, and the original Omega. The rest will be lesser performers or cost you big bucks.

I've use a set of Koss ESP9b esl phones for decades as my phones. They come so close to the KLH Nines I had as main speakers for several decades and these were as close to perfect reproducers as I've yet heard. So the phones are a standard for others to attain.

The level of detail throughout the spectrum is equally excellent, no losses in the lower region. In the Koss there is no discernible hump in either the treble of bass and the mids are wonderfully presented.

I've not heard a set of dynamic drivers that can do as well. Yes, come close but just short in some area. The Stax I've listened to have less authority and more air, a lighter presentation. Neither is wrong or more correct, just a different presentation.

I've been thinking of auditioning the Koss ESP-950 and 404 Stax. A consideration of moving to the Stax is the Koss are a might uncomfortable over time as they are closed cupped. The 9s are working wonderful and are the last set produced by Koss of the model so I can not see retiring them soon.

In the heyday of audio there were a number of companies making electrostats. Another fairly nice system was the Marantz and these can be found at auction fairly cheap. Radio Shack also made them. You can get the sound quality of speaker systems costing thousands for less than $700 and no need to condition the room or have speakers of no WAF.

The limitation is the need to hook the energizer box to the speaker terminals therefore requiring close proximity to the amp and not simply having a nice 25' extension cord.

i picked up a pair of koss esp6's a few months ago for 5 bux, case included. :) they sound great, after a bit of surgery to repair the leads where they enter the earcup. typical problem, btw. anyway, they sound wonderful! clean, crisp, great dynamics. they only have three issues: 1: heavy! not a problem for me. 2: can't play deep bass really loud. also not a big deal. 3: they fade out when the music gets quiet. non-issue with my music, for the most part.

all-in-all, a great pair of cans. especially when you consider they are 40 years old! :eek:

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about electrostatics in general? In terms of headphones, are they the ultimate audio experience (strictly headphones)? --I know a lot of this depends on your system. If you like electrostatics, what are some good names/models. If not, what else is out there that's better?

Back in the day I heard the Radio Shack stats and wish I would have bought them. Haven't heard the Stax but haven't read anything but praise. At a bit over $4k I'll be saving quite a while for the SR-007s. If you're watching auctions my vintage Yamaha HP-1s sound quite good and can be worn for hours. Yamaha called them "Orthodynamic" which translates into something more akin to Magnaplanars. Like the stats they like plenty of power. The early incarnations with the larger 55 mm drivers are more highly regarded. Over the few years of production they were trying to get the cost down, but eventually gave up. I paid $200 in '76 which would be about $900 today. Lots of good reading over at Headfi on cans and amps.

You do know they need a speaker level signal right? Mine reach full volume at 3 watts and can take 10 watts.

My Stax run off a preamp - the SRA-3S takes a line-level input, and has its own internal tube amp, well it IS a tube amp. Before that, I ran them with the usual transformer, off the power amp.

Nothing beats a good pair of Stax Headphones hey people!

I like the look of those baby stax headphones, the SR 001, I think that's what they are called.

If I was to get those, I would use them for my Radio and music listening from my Mobile phone.

I've been thinking of auditioning the Koss ESP-950 and 404 Stax. A consideration of moving to the Stax is the Koss are a might uncomfortable over time as they are closed cupped. The 9s are working wonderful and are the last set produced by Koss of the model so I can not see retiring them soon.

The Koss ESP/950 is an open design though Koss could have used a bit less damping on them. The stock amp is crap but the headphones work well from a Stax Pro bias socket after reterminating the plug or installing a Stax cable. I do prefer the Koss 950 over any of the Stax Lambda models but YMMV.

In the heyday of audio there were a number of companies making electrostats. Another fairly nice system was the Marantz and these can be found at auction fairly cheap. Radio Shack also made them. You can get the sound quality of speaker systems costing thousands for less than $700 and no need to condition the room or have speakers of no WAF.

The limitation is the need to hook the energizer box to the speaker terminals therefore requiring close proximity to the amp and not simply having a nice 25' extension cord.

Most of those headphones (Radio Shack, Marantz, Magnavox and a few others) all used Stax drivers and aren't built as well as the Stax SR-5 from the same era. Not bad headphones by any means though but be warned that they may use the same plug as Stax but aren't compatible with their amps even after being rewired for the right pinout.

Back
Top Bottom