Electrovoice e-v two speakers

Thocom

I picked up a pair of these speakers today (I'm a sucker for beautiful cabinets and pristine cane grill cloth)
Like I needed another pair of speakers... anyway, the price was right.

I cannot find anything on the web about them. The EV Four appear to be the only thing close.

The rear gives pretty much all the info you need though, lol. I haven't pulled off the backs yet, but it appears to 12" drivers with a horn. The outline of the grill cloth would confirm that too.

Anyone have any experience with these?

IMG_8322.JPG IMG_8320.JPG IMG_8326.JPG

Looks like a great find. I'm sold on single point speakers after a recent purchase of EV 15" triaxials.

Edit: Oops. I thought you were talking about a coaxial driver (woofer and horn tweeter). Still a nice find. Hope they sound good.

Last edited:
That is an encyclopedia on the back of that box. I have never seen anything like that.

They sound pretty darn good. Haven't set them up correctly, but 5 ft apart with an small tube amp and they sound really good!
They have a small vibration in one of them where the back panel is connected, but that can be fixed easily, im going to put better binding posts on them anyway.

It's weird, I cannot find a single reference to this speaker ANYWHERE on the net. The only thing close is the e-v four which is a three-way. Basically the same setup, just with a midrange and another lpad for that.

I really need to either expand my finished basement or sell off some stuff.. lol

Attachments

• IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Thanks for those links! Much appreciated. I could not find a single thing, I tried every variation of ev2 that I could think of! The schematic saves me some time.

I agree Dr, I think some batting in the cabinets would be a good idea. I have some around here that I will give a try.

Strange thing about that link, the OPs speakers appear to actually be E-V Four cabinets, just with mid range removed from the circuit, a blank put in over the cutout and the crossover reworked to be a E-V Two.

Looks to me like the E-V Two has same cabinet as E-V Four, but is a two-way rather than a three-way. Woofer looks identical, horn tweeter too, perhaps.

ev_two.p1.jpg

A little more review suggests that the horn tweeter in the EV-2 becomes the mid in the EV-4 (see pic), which is then augmented with a TC35 tweeter, extending the response to 20kHz.

EV-4 innards v2.jpg

A little more review suggests that the horn tweeter in the EV-2 becomes the mid in the EV-4 (see pic), which is then augmented with a TC35 tweeter, extending the response to 20kHz.

View attachment 975635

It is technically a mid range horn that extends fairly high, not a true Tweeter horn.
But still exactly what you say.
Nice sounding vintage speaker, but havent had them for a long time!

They're beautiful. I'd like to see some Ultra-Touch cotton 1" cotton batting in there though, and test the capacitor's value and ESR. Congratulations !!!

Biggles

Hey Doc.

Have you seen any of the discussions on other boards cautioning about using UltraTouch in speaker cabinets with critical internal dimensions? The discussions have been so few so far that I can't quickly find them for reference, but in short it seems that, unlike FiberFill, rayon, or fiberglass materials, UltraTouch is not air-permeable. And the problem with this, it seems, is that rather than offering the apparent expansion of cabinet volume realized with permeable materials (up to 10% if I remember correctly), UltraTouch actually occupies space, and makes the cabinet volume smaller.

Of course, this supposition does not ignore the superior sound absorption characteristics of UltraTouch, and in situations where absorption is desired, UT is the way to go. But in most cases, when it comes to loudspeaker construction, the purpose of insulation (stuffing, etc.) is not to absorb sound waves (wherein the energy is lost), but to break up their movement within a cabinet, and especially as a deterrent to standing waves.

Or, at least that's the way I understand it. Maybe the really smart folks can chime in here.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom