Electrovoice Eliminator 1B's

Super efficiency. Excellent dynamics and clarity but bass, though very clean, isn't deep, a necessary compromise with a small basshorn. High quality build and drivers. They work pretty well for hi-fi, or at least I thought so 40 years ago. ;-)

They'll go lower than a la scala. One of the more complicated cabinets i've built personally, there are a lot of pieces, lot of angled/mitred cuts.

I would love to have a pair of those all EV badged up like that. They've got to have a bit of collectibility among gearheads.

20rahmcw2pr6v6.jpg

ELI_Box2.jpg

ELI_Box1.jpg

Last edited:
Expect to have an insatiable desire to own more of them, and to hold spontaneous outdoor concerts for the surrounding 1/4 mile area.

I can feel that kick drum from here.

Very encouraging comments. Feel like I may have done a little better than just ok with these. Both tweeters are dead on one cabinet. Turns out to just be the diaphragm leads need to be reconnected. Going to have to see about sprucing them up a bit, maybe recap on the crossovers as well.

Very encouraging comments. Feel like I may have done a little better than just ok with these. Both tweeters are dead on one cabinet. Turns out to just be the diaphragm leads need to be reconnected. Going to have to see about sprucing them up a bit, maybe recap on the crossovers as well.

You could make furniture or fabric shells to slip over them from the top and use them as "good" speakers.

Kind of off-topic, but how do those EV cabinets compare to the dual 12 design of the Sentry IV(a)? Was this a later model? They look ready to rock!

Kind of off-topic, but how do those EV cabinets compare to the dual 12 design of the Sentry IV(a)? Was this a later model? They look ready to rock!

Sentry IV was the later speaker. I don't know which basshorn was better, both sounded good to me. Like Bowtie I built some Eliminator bassbins.

Sentry IV was the later speaker. I don't know which basshorn was better, both sounded good to me. Like Bowtie I built some Eliminator bassbins.

For sound re-enforcement or for home use? Any idea what the -3dB point is on those? I've heard those in PA use before, but it was so long ago I can't remember what kind of sound quality they had.

GeeDeeEmm

One of the most impressive speakers I have ever heard.

Used four of them along with some Bogen tube amps to do parties back in high school.

Awesome sounding, clean, crisp with authority and plenty of punch.

For sound re-enforcement or for home use? Any idea what the -3dB point is on those?

Home use. At the time I was willing to sacrifice bass extension for low distortion and the ability to get real loud. I'm guessing they rolled off in the 60hz area. I used them pushed back into corners, PWK style; that helped.

I haven't seen or thought of those in forty years... I once visited a guy that lived on the upper level of an empty warehouse. He had a pair of those powered by HK Citation separates. A sofa, cot, a hot plate and nothing else. In a room big enough to house a small airliner, there was no place I could stand the SPL he could produce with that rig. And I was a whole lot younger then. He relished being buzzed and having concert level sound. Rock on.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I managed to save one of the tweeter diaphragms. I guess I will need to hunt down a replacement for the other.

I see all of the talk on the old eliminators, and as you can see I have a pair I restored and use. This is the 3rd pair I have had since the 70's. The first pair were my home speakers and I sold them and installed them in a Disco I was upgrading the sound system in. Amazing sound that I was driving with some Akai solid state amps probably in the 85W per channel range. Loud and crystal clear. Only issues were the tweeter coils frying because the DJ was going into start of song search on a cassette with the volume up. But they were easy fixes. I almost immediately got a second pair that were "2"'s but I added the dual T35's to them. Then I took a wife in 1979, and the second pair of eliminators were sacrificed because they "didn't match the room". I sold them to a Female rock Band that toured New Jersey and needed Quality PA Speakers, or Sound Reinforcement Systems as EV called them. I received my final pair from a guy in Michigan who had 2 pairs. I turned down the second pair because I had no room, and felt I scored big time with one pair, in the I still have the same wife. The pair currently sits in the Dining room, and I don't have them running a lot, but when I do they sound unbelievable. The best speakers I have ever owned or heard. Before I found the pair intact, I assumed I would need to build a pair, so I bought up Crossovers, T35's 1829 drivers, Midrange horns, SRO15's, EVM15B's and L's, Mid accentuation Switches, and Tweeter controls, and even a perfect pair of the original badges. One of these days when I fully retire, I will build another pair or 2

Back
Top Bottom