Elekit TU-8200 kit impressions?

eickmewg

The reviews I have read are all positive for the TU-8200. Has anyone built one of the kits and if so, what are your construction experiences and have you been pleased with the performance? I would probably be using KT88 power tubes for this amp. TIA for any information and advice.

Bill

I can say I was pleased with the performance but I didn't build mine myself. I had mine built by Viktor who is one of the distributors of these amps. I liked it so much that I ended up getting another Elekit the TU-8600.

I have built the Elekit TU-879S, TU-8200DX, and TU-8500.
All are worthy of the effort, just gotta get the right tubes to get the right sound, like any tube equipment.
I am in the process of building the TU-8150.
I just love the Japanese kits and their simple elegance.

To answer my own request/question, I did buy and build an Elekit TU-8200. It came from Japan with Japanese instructions, but English instructions are available on the Tube Depot site. It took about 10 hours to complete and it worked properly on "first fire." I then got the cap upgrade DX kit from Tube Depot. I have been very pleased with its performance. I am running Gold Lion reissue KT88 power tubes and old RCA clear-top 12AU7 drivers. Those 8 wpc SEUL drive my Polk SRS SDA 2.3's just fine, and opposed to my Latino VTA ST120, you can move the amp around without fear of herniation.

Worthy addition to my Elekit collection now in house and construction completed. The TU-8150, baby brother to the TU-8200.
I know Audiokarma is mostly about vintage tube gear, but I thank those who let us indulge in our new tube gear habits.
I admit I have not heard how the older vintage gear sounds, but I am still amazed at how different tubes affect the sound of the music.
This amp has 6005W tubes, and after several hours, began to open up nicely. I am enjoying the sound. It also takes 6V6 tubes, but I
have some coming and have not listened to them yet. It has one opamp, a 4580D, so it is not a pure tube amp in the strict sense.
This opamp can be swapped out very easily using some medical grade tweezers/forceps.

IMG-0462.JPG

I like the sound from the original tu8200 with el34 or its supplied 6L6. Certainly there was room for improvement.

I replaced its output transformer with a bigger one and it started to offer better lower midrange and upper basd (100 to 1kHz).

The output transformers took me abt.100 bux so it was worth it.

So, where did you source the new output transformers? Who makes them? For me, and with my speakers, I think the lower frequency response is just fine, but I might try other OPT's. Did tyhe replacements come with the appropriate connectors for an easy swap?

Back
Top Bottom