Eliminating CD Scrathes

There is a big black and green crankstyle cleaner/polisher they sell at Worstbuy (i.e. Bestbuy) here in the states. I think its called the CD Doctor. Doesn't remove the deep scratches but does an OK job on the minor ones. If you have an irreplacable disc, some CD stores have special resurfacing machines that wet polish the discs to a like new finish for a buck or two.

Small scratches can be buffed out with toothpaste and a washcloth, go around in circles like the cd is spinning. I have done this many times with game discs and with movie from netflix that wouldn't play or skipped and got them to work. Poor mans version of the the thing talked about in the above post ;)

I recently purchased a (yet another) TT from a local eBay'er here in Nova Scotia.

When I picked it up, I was amazed at the virtually perfect condition of this 70's TT dustcover. I asked the guy how this was possible?

His reply follows;

The product I use to restore scratched and hazed dustcovers is called NOVUS. It comes in three strenghts with #1 the mildest and #3 the one you use for scratches. It is available at G.E. Polmershapes, 101 Thornhill drive, Burnside. Phone 1-902-468-7732. I am amazed at the results I get with this product.

That address is in Nova Scotia but the stuff is likely available in the U.S.

Now, my point in all this is that if it restores dustcovers to perfection then CD's ought to be a snap.

Paul

<<dump message>>

Sorry, it seems that at 5:30 AM ADT the server has it's own agenda. It duplicated my response so I have squashed it.

Paul

Last edited:
I've got one of those Disc Dr's. I have yet to take it out of the box. I bought a cheap cleaner for like $12 that works great. I use DOC (eyeglasses) cleaning spray and it works like a charm. Every disc (CD and DVD) that skipped before, doesn't now. I'm sure someday I'll come across one and try the Dr.

I like the DIY ways posted here..thanks guys!

My dad got me a Disc Doctor?...the green & blk thinh mentioned above.

We finally used it on some scratched cd's and it worked wonders. Since I own already own it I will probably keep buying juice for it, but these other methods would probably work just as well. The Disc Doctor does take the work out it though...just crank away!

DC

ive got one of those disc doctors. It works ok. Leaves the cd looking worse then when you started but it makes them play again.

BTW, when you do things like polish cds you should go across them not in a circular motion. Not saying yer way is wrong thor, but ive always read circular was a no no. makes sense tho.

Oh, and BTW that disc repair fliud is just water, filtered water. Dont waste your money on buying more bottles. just get some distilled water from the store and there ya go.

Not in a circle? what the hell does the disc dr. do? I am not saying little circles I am saying around and round like a needle on a record but you are spinning and not the CD ;)

Actually Thor the Disc Doctor runs a strip from the hub towards the outside, turning the CD slowly.

The reason you want to NOT follow the direction of the tracks is that any scratches you leave behind will follow the data path and obscure more data than the same scratch would running from the center to the outside.

Although I don't own a Disc Doctor, I have shown a coworker how to use one and did try it on a couple of discs that were basically unplayable. Worked, but scratched the crap out of the discs. Scratches were from hub to outer edge, discs became playable. A fine abrasive (such as toothpaste) would probably be OK to use following the data path, but I would finish up going in a straight line from hub out.

Correct me if I am wrong but if it is running a strip from the hub to the outside and rotating the CD how is this different than what I am saying to do? I am just telling you how to do it by hand since you can't really hold your hand still and rotate the CD to efficiently instead the CD stays still and you rotate your polishing apparatus, cloth hand whatever around it, it's the same thing. Think about it ;)

Best thing I found for fixing Cd's is a hammer. The bigger the better ! If anyone would like a demo just drop by with your Cd's and I will be more then happy to teach you. ;)

No THOR, YOU think about it. What you keep describing has the greatest possibility of leaving a scatch that will have the most contiguous area damaged, thus rendering a disc unplayable.

Seems to me it the same exact thing except intead of spinning the disc and holding your polishing tool still your are holding the CD still and going around with the polishing tool, just like the little VW bus record players drive around a record not spinning compared to a record spinning and the needle remaining still. Same thing get it? If you still don't get it I can draw a diagram for you ;)

Tell me someone understands the concept?

Originally posted by grumpy
Best thing I found for fixing Cd's is a hammer. The bigger the better ! If anyone would like a demo just drop by with your Cd's and I will be more then happy to teach you. ;)

I belive that a microwave oven to be a superior CD repair device.

Anthony

As noted above, there are a number of products available that can fix small scratches. But scrathes are almost impossible to repair... ;)

Sorry Thor but the other guys are correct. You want to wipe from the inside hub to the outside edge in a straight line across the CD. Not around the CD like a needle tracks an LP. Like they've all said this will just exacerbate any problems with scratches.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom