Elvis.....1955

Infinity nutcase.
I'm up late watching a series on Elvis. I guess to keep it short, it only a few clips of the very early days you see some audio equipment. I did a quick google search of 1955 audio equipment and of course I get chevy bel air cars..lol.

It's never really interested me until now. What did these guys use for recording and what did they hear it on in terms of speakers and amps ?

1955-radio.jpg

Google Sam Philips (Sun Studios) and Bill Porter (when Elvis moved to RCA)

I loved the series , brought back MANY memories , I wished the older sequences were a bit longer , you never see this in other programs. I remember some of these programs and there was no cut off of the top and bottom of the picture back then.
My only real complaint was the LETTER BOXING of the video ! WWHHHYYY ??? You could clearly see that the pictures were cut off both on top and the bottom, Again WWWHHHYYY ??? Was this some form of artistic license on the part of Sony or HBO ? If that is what it was I DO NOT LIKE IT , the letter boxing destroys the content enjoyment in my opinion.

In Elvis case, it always amazed me that a recording of "Love me Tender" had a sort of amplifier ringing in the background. Very easily heard even on 1950's style equipment.
It showed up on my sisters record player I made for her way back in 1959.
On later releases it was somehow eliminated. As a late release of Elvis Golden LP's it is totally gone. It was audible on 78's and 45's.

A friend of mine visited the old Sun Studio when visiting Nashville and sent me all kinds of pictures of the various equipment that is still there. Can't really remember what was there but I do recall there was a great transcription cutter. He really enjoyed visiting the little museum they had there.

Back
Top Bottom