Elvis Costello - "It's Good To Be Home!"

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
We just got back from Elvis Costello & The Imposters show here in Vancouver.

Wow, what a show! Almost 3 hours, including a 40 minute encore!

Songs from all periods, great band including Steve Nieve and the original Attractions drummer, Pete Thomas. One song was dedicated to Diana Krall and the whole family was in attendance.

Despite having a cold he says he got in San Francisco he was in great form and even got very guitar hero-y.

20181204_230107.jpg

20181204_215555.jpg

Ah, sounds like a great show. I've seen him more than 10 times, but seeing your review makes me want to see him again.

This was the end of the tour. The "home" bit is the fact that he lives with Krall in Nanaimo, just a ferry ride away. It's great that he was even able to do this tour after his cancer diagnosis and treatment just a few months ago.

If this turned out to be his last show ever, it was a suitable denouement.

The "home" bit is the fact that he lives with Krall in Nanaimo
Yikes! I can't believe Elvis and Krall live in Nanaimo. They must be well accepted in such a small community. VI is one of my favorite places on the planet. Thirty three years ('85) ago I was in Nanaimo on our trip to Tofino. We stopped on the way home to drop our fish (for smoking) at St Jeans. Used to go back every summer for about ten years and then every couple years for the next ten. Have not been back up since my buddy passed in 2001. 9/10/2001 to be precise.

Sounds like a great show. I remember well back in 80's when he did a week at a B'way theater with each night a different iteration of his bands. I saw the Attractions on two nights but with different material. Missed the Confederates night. I was so young back then...... could go to multiple shows and also not go broke. It was near my birthday so I seem to remember one night was a gift? 1986 or 87 and everyone saying this was his farewell........... FF 32 years and we see that was anything but correct.

We just got back from Elvis Costello & The Imposters show here in Vancouver.
Where was the show? I remember seeingThe Cure in Vancouver at theater that was built for the World's Fair a couple years before. Tiny place and all Cedar wood. Had a roof but was open-air around the top. Amazing SQ and quite intimate.

Where was the show? I remember seeingThe Cure in Vancouver at theater that was built for the World's Fair a couple years before. Tiny place and all Cedar wood. Had a roof but was open-air around the top. Amazing SQ and quite intimate.

Elvis was at the Queen Elizabeth theater. Great venue and usually good acoustics but I did find his guitar didn't stick out in the mix as much as it should have.

Remarkably, as I have always been a fan, this was the first time I've seen him live. I ALMOST got into the El Mocambo but it was sold out. :(

Queen Elizabeth theater
Nice looking venue. Kind of like a mini Lincoln Center vibe.

edit to add:
Gotta love the web, this is the show and theater.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/1987/expo-theatre-vancouver-bc-canada-3d7f12b.html

A friend in NY that was a contributor to many R&R mags (photo agency she owned) got us tickets and when we arrived those seats were in like the third or fourth row dead center and had a press pass with parking. We parked our RV (was on camping trip from NY) next to the band's bus back stage. Somewhere I have amazing pictures. Including R Smith doing stretches prior to the show. Prior to digital and have not seen them in years but doubt I tossed them.

Last edited:
Yikes! I can't believe Elvis and Krall live in Nanaimo. They must be well accepted in such a small community. VI is one of my favorite places on the planet. Thirty three years ('85) ago I was in Nanaimo on our trip to Tofino. We stopped on the way home to drop our fish (for smoking) at St Jeans. Used to go back every summer for about ten years and then every couple years for the next ten. Have not been back up since my buddy passed in 2001. 9/10/2001 to be precise.

Sounds like a great show. I remember well back in 80's when he did a week at a B'way theater with each night a different iteration of his bands. I saw the Attractions on two nights but with different material. Missed the Confederates night. I was so young back then...... could go to multiple shows and also not go broke. It was near my birthday so I seem to remember one night was a gift? 1986 or 87 and everyone saying this was his farewell........... FF 32 years and we see that was anything but correct.

The first time I saw Elvis was in '86 in LA at the Beverly Theater. He also did a week there with each night different. I saw the most "conventional" night with the Attractions, but damn, I kick myself periodically over the years at not having attended multiple shows since each was different.

One thing that sticks w/me is how cheap the merchandise was. I remember I got a T-shirt, program, and a poster (I think) all for $20 - it was a bundle. I still have the program somewhere.

I know I saw him twice. One in the tennis center in Forest hills (early 80s), probably once more mid 80s maybe '90 but drawing a blank on the venue

Saw him this last Wednesday before Thanksgiving in St. Louis... what a show!

Certainly crossed another one off my Musical Bucket List... he's a legend.

Back
Top Bottom