Embarassing Question

KingBubba

"Too Much Stuff"
It has been a solid twelve or more years since I had to do a foam job. I can't remember which comes first, cone or frame? Be kind to me. o_O

I’ve only done a couple.. but it’s always been cone first.
Assuming you’re talking about what to glue the new foam to first.

I was thinking cone first, but wasn't feeling totally sure. I'm doing the woofers on my JBL L36s, which I have put off for too long. I pulled them today and will start them tomorrow. An odd thing showed up when I pulled the grills off, the left side was upside down. The grills matched but the speakers didn't. They have been that way close to eight years. Thanks for the confirmations.

Last edited:
I have to remind myself now and then also, the local pro goes cone first and I see the same in vids. It makes sense when I think more about it. Then when I think about it even more, it doesn't make sense, then it does again, then I finally have to look at a vid again. I guess the logic is you want the surround glued evenly around the cone, then it's easier to adjust the surround on the frame rather than on the cone.

I always test fit the surround and mark the cone with a few dots for reference to where it looks "comfortable". Don't want to distort the profile when you make it permanent. Also tends to be easier to move the surround a bit on the frame that it would be on a typical paper cone when you center it. Glue the cone first, let it set up, then the basket.

Gonna do the battery trick to center the coil? That actually works ...

Yes, raising the cone gives better way to glue both the frame and the surround. It is all coming back to me now.

Cone first
Then use tone to center when setting the frame.

I use a signal generator through an amp when setting and check as the glue sets up.

A phone app and a stereo can do the same thing. I’ve done that when foaming away from the main bench.

I do the foam to the front even if factory was behind cone. If you want them correct for resale I suppose but more patience than I have...

It really has not been a problem gluing it to the back for me.
Other than the initial getting the cone through the surround hole, I didn't see much difference either. I even think the gluing of it was a bit easier because of it.

Back
Top Bottom