EMI 629 speakers any good?

MannyE

Exterminate!
There is a pair for sale on my local CL and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. They are relatively cheap and I'm curious about the elliptical thing.

Hi, the oval speaker sound very natural, thats what I heard from some membres, best regards Yvan.

Even though ellipticals have some real virtues - more distributed resonances than a round cone, and better dispersion in the shorter plane (or better bass due to more piston area in the longer plane) than a circular driver of the same size(s), they have something of a bad name due to their association with car stereos of the 60s and 70s, which often were pretty dire. Probably less the speaker's problem than the pitiful amps that they were used with, and haphazard installation.
But the EMI elliptical is a very well made driver, with an aluminum inner section of the cone and a paper/pulp outer section, with damping applied. The tweeters are less impressive -- not bad for their time, but not very extended by modern standards. You may feel that that is a good thing.
They might not sound right with some amplifiers, so its worth trying a couple. Go easy on the volume until you know where they start to distort.

Back
Top Bottom