Emit, emit k Interchangeable?

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I got a pair of RS5Bs this week ant they have bad tweeters, can they be swapped out with emit ks?

I don't believe they are the same as the part numbers are different. The tech sheet shows the part number of your speaker. Not sure how available they are. Good luck.

image.png

Last edited:
Thanks, I was just wondering if it is possible to remove the actual tweeter from the mounting plate? The holes are the same, not sure about specs or if its even possible to remove the tweeters from the plates.
Has anyone tried this?

Yes, the faceplates are interchangeable, so it is theoretically possible to just change out the drivers, and keep the original faceplates. Both tweeters are a nominal 4 ohm impedance, so they are compatible in that regard. The spec sheet above shows a crossover point of 4000 Hz, which is certainly within the performance range of the EMIT k--which can be used down to a 3000 Hz crossover point. I have no specific data available on the sensitivity or frequency response curve of either driver, but I would guess that they are the same, or at least very similar. EMIT k's are plentiful and fairly inexpensive (~$100 or even less for a pair), so I would seriously consider trying, but that's just me.

Good Luck!!!

Yes, you could swap diaphragm's between tweeters without issue. I know it's been mentioned here before. The Emit K tweeter though, isn't exactly the same as the earlier Emits. I believe it uses neodymium magnets, as opposed to the previous samarium cobalt magnets. So, the neo Emit is more efficient, and could sound too hot, if used as is.

I got a pair of RS5Bs this week ant they have bad tweeters, can they be swapped out with emit ks?

I would hazard a guess that while the magnets and housing might be different, the diaphragms are probably the same. Diaphragms are not difficult to swap, however the magnets are powerful. My trick is to find a long set of screws of the proper length, and use those to align everything and bring it together, then one by one swap out the long screws for the correct ones.

bs

Yes, you could swap diaphragm's between tweeters without issue. I know it's been mentioned here before. The Emit K tweeter though, isn't exactly the same as the earlier Emits. I believe it uses neodymium magnets, as opposed to the previous samarium cobalt magnets. So, the neo Emit is more efficient, and could sound too hot, if used as is.

I believe you are correct on most points, but I'm not sure if the neo magnets are any "stronger" or "efficient" than the samarium cobalt magnets. I do know the magnet structure'housing is thinner and lighter, but I don't know if there is an actual performance difference.

Yes, the faceplates are interchangeable, so it is theoretically possible to just change out the drivers, and keep the original faceplates. Both tweeters are a nominal 4 ohm impedance, so they are compatible in that regard. The spec sheet above shows a crossover point of 4000 Hz, which is certainly within the performance range of the EMIT k--which can be used down to a 3000 Hz crossover point. I have no specific data available on the sensitivity or frequency response curve of either driver, but I would guess that they are the same, or at least very similar. EMIT k's are plentiful and fairly inexpensive (~$100 or even less for a pair), so I would seriously consider trying, but that's just me.

Good Luck!!![/QUO

Just as a side note and a bit of history--the reason that Samarium Cobalt and AlNiCo (Aluminum, Nickel, Cobalt) magnets disappeared in the late 70's/early 80's was not due to performance issues--it was a matter of cost and availability. The primary source of Cobalt is Zaire and Congo in Africa, which were major conflict regions at that time, so Cobalt (as a rare metal) got really expensive and difficult to source. Zaire alone holds control of 80% of the world's Cobalt supply, and they were undergoing civil war and coups at the time, so supply lines were down, and it was downright dangerous to try to obtain. Most manufacturers were forced to swap out to ferrite magnets and later the Neodymium magnets due to cost/supply issues. The side benefit being that both enabled higher power handling, and Neo magnets are much lighter. Like I stated--just a side not and bit of history...

Back
Top Bottom