Emits for diy headphone ?

Infinity nutcase.
My mind wanders sometimes. So anyone tried it? I've got a pair of emits doing nothing and started thinking....UH-OH that's scary :crazy:, about making my own headphones with them. I mean why not all I need to do is add a resistor so they don't blow right.

Thoughts?

One possible problem, I've not seen them crosssed over (from the factory) at less than 3000hz.
That's a lot of lows left out.
Not to mention their physical size, you'd need some big ear cups.

One possible problem, I've not seen them crosssed over (from the factory) at less than 3000hz.
That's a lot of lows left out.
Not to mention their physical size, you'd need some big ear cups.
Well it's not that they cannot, it's that under 3k with any sort of power they blow. With levels low enough for headphone distance it just might work.

For the record I think it's a crazy idea and probably wouldn't sound good... But it could work :)

Pretty sure I've seen planar drivers used in headphones, specially designed of course.
And pricey if I remember right.
So it's not far fetched, it's just EMITs might not be the best driver to use.

OP, check out Head Fi.

And yes, there are plenty of great sounding planar headphones from Hifiman, Audeze, etc etc

That's kinda what sparked the idea, stumbled on the site and caught the post of the guy making his own planar diaphragms, which is pretty interesting itself.

Got me thinking about the emit, low end is the question. Haha, magnets close to the brain,hadn't given that consideration. I may fool around with this and see what happens just for fun.

Check out Massdrop, they just opened a new drop today for a pair of inexpensive Hifiman planars.

Dunno about using an EMIT in headphones, but my sennheiser hd 530's use an 11mm planar driver.

Well there's another excuse for a get together, you have those Jazz. That's what I'm kinda considering to keep with the Infinity sound. I'm missing my Thursday Indie and Sunday Jazz on the college station, the wife's schedule changed so I can't indulge like I used to and the solution looks to be a set of cans.

I haven't bought headphones since JR High.

Well there's another excuse for a get together, you have those Jazz. That's what I'm kinda considering to keep with the Infinity sound. I'm missing my Thursday Indie and Sunday Jazz on the college station, the wife's schedule changed so I can't indulge like I used to and the solution looks to be a set of cans.

I haven't bought headphones since JR High.
There are some pretty great sounds that aren't infinity. Headphones might be a good opportunity to see what else is out there :)

This hobby is kinda like my love life, I dated a lot of hotties when I was younger then found the one I could live with :bowdown:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom