Emotiva PT-100 to replace XDA-2 plus VanAlstine PAT-5 ?

RShackleford

In an effort to consolidate my system, I am thinking of getting an Emotiva PT-100 to replace my Emotiva XDA-2, my VanAlstine-mod'd Dynaco PAT5, and a tuner. I seek opinions about the SQ of this move. I don't really care much about the tuner quality, so forget that. I imagine the DAC in the PT-100 is pretty similar to the XDA-2 (or is it ?). However, the AVA PAT-5 is pretty high-regarded I believe, and has always sounded great to me; so that's probably my main concern, the sonics of the PT-100's pre-amp section versus the PAT5. TIA !

The XDA-2 and the PT-100 share the same DAC chip only, the AD1955 which is a highly-regarded DAC chip. However, the two differ in implementation. The XDA-2 has a much more substantial power supply and analog section (to include fully differential outputs). I'm sure there are other differences. It's really hard to say what kind of impact it would make in overall sound quality. The XDA-2 is a high quality DAC. I have no experience with the PAT5

I own a Van Alstine hybrid tube preamp built in a PAT5 chassis, and it sounds amazing. Frank even helped me track down an issue I was having with it. It’s a different pre than yours of course, but the AVA stuff is really good.

The XDA-2 and the PT-100 share the same DAC chip only, the AD1955 which is a highly-regarded DAC chip. However, the two differ in implementation. The XDA-2 has a much more substantial power supply and analog section (to include fully differential outputs).
Ok, thanks. What does "fully differential" (in this context) mean ?

It’s a type of analog output used mostly by the professional industry often referred to as balanced. Very effective for noise suppression. There are other advantages as well. There are some good articles on the advantages of balanced circuit topology around.

Back
Top Bottom