Empire 2000z

tazman3276

I don’t understand why the stylus for a Empire 2000z
cost so much money compared to other cartridges.
I’m looking to buy one. I have a cartridge that has never been used but has no stylus. If I wanted to sell it how much should I get for it. What cartridge should I get in replace of it. I’m not sure which turn table to use it on. Should I put on my BIC 980 or my Technics SL-QD35 that already has a Autio Techins DR300E cartridge on it. I understand that these aren’t the best but it’s what Ihave. I would appreciate any ideas on what to do.

You can get a stylus for it for a fair price at thevoiceofmusic dot com. Look for the 237-D7C. You could use it on your BIC and it would cost less than many other replacement cartridges. The DR300E is appropriate for your Technics. That turntable can't use a standard cartridge like the Empire because it uses what is called the "T4P" system, which means the cartridge plugs into the tonearm. If you are unsure of the condition of the AT there are several new ones available right now. They are called AT81CP and AT92 ECD, which is roughly equivalent to what is installed now.

You can get a stylus for it for a fair price at thevoiceofmusic dot com. Look for the 237-D7C. You could use it on your BIC and it would cost less than many other replacement cartridges. The DR300E is appropriate for your Technics. That turntable can't use a standard cartridge like the Empire because it uses what is called the "T4P" system, which means the cartridge plugs into the tonearm. If you are unsure of the condition of the AT there are several new ones available right now. They are called AT81CP and AT92 ECD, which is roughly equivalent to what is installed now.

Sorry, that is incorrect. The 237-DEC has the fatter insert pin which will not work with the 2000Z. Besides the original S2000Z, the more affordable styli that fit are the S915e and S2000T- which are both listed as the 239-DET in Pfan-speak.

Sorry, that is incorrect. The 237-DEC has the fatter insert pin which will not work with the 2000Z. Besides the original S2000Z, the more affordable styli that fit are the S915e and S2000T- which are both listed as the 239-DET in Pfan-speak.

Thank you for your correction!

I never heard the 2000Z yet. I’m not going to try it till I get the new stylus. I’m guessing it’s similar to the 4000D?

Gretsch6120 may have what you need. The genuine small shank styli that work in the 2000Z are still (barely) out there. Track down an OEM stylus and prepare to be pleased.

Just lost one channel on my 2000Z the other day. This is truly a bad thing I love that Cartridge. I haven't dismounted it and checked any closer so I am still hopeful it may be saved.

Just lost one channel on my 2000Z the other day. This is truly a bad thing I love that Cartridge. I haven't dismounted it and checked any closer so I am still hopeful it may be saved.
I assume you checked all the h'shell connections, cable, RCAs, preamp inputs et al? I hope your worries are baseless, it would be a sad day.

I checked everything. Multi meter says the one winding is intermittent. Everything else checks out. Of course the cartridge was the last thing I suspected and I bought this one new in 1980. Only lasted 39 years.

If you are absolutely sure the winding is intermittant, you have nothing to lose by very quickly touching the tip of a soldering iron to the tips of the pins for that channel. I did that to my original 2000 E/III back in the seventies for the same thing and it's been fine since. The plastic around the pins melts easily so be very quick.

Doug

If you are absolutely sure the winding is intermittant, you have nothing to lose by very quickly touching the tip of a soldering iron to the tips of the pins for that channel. I did that to my original 2000 E/III back in the seventies for the same thing and it's been fine since. The plastic around the pins melts easily so be very quick.

Doug
Cold soldering? Not a internal failure?
AG.

Well, it's really impractical to find out if it's an internal problem so the first thing to try is the momentary "reflow" trick. It worked for me 42 years ago.

I mean, a careful disassembly of the cartridge may be possible and I don't think Empires are potted (anybody know for sure?), but it's risky.

Doug

Well, it's really impractical to find out if it's an internal problem so the first thing to try is the momentary "reflow" trick. It worked for me 42 years ago.

I mean, a careful disassembly of the cartridge may be possible and I don't think Empires are potted (anybody know for sure?), but it's risky.

Doug
Nothing to lose if the cart is not working, so worth the experience and knowledge gain.
AG.

Doug
I have already considered that but will have to check the cartridge out after I get back home and remove it from the headshell. I do agree if it's a problem I have nothing to lose by trying the soldering gun on the pin.

I hope you mean a soldering iron and not gun. The guns are typically 100 watts or more. You don't want to use that. A 25 - 40 watt iron is what you want with a pointy tip.

Doug

I hope you mean a soldering iron and not gun. The guns are typically 100 watts or more. You don't want to use that. A 25 - 40 watt iron is what you want with a pointy tip.

Doug
Yes Doug I did mean iron. I have one that is perfect for the task. At the time my mind just couldn't think of Iron.

Back
Top Bottom