Empire 298/398 Tonearm Options/Installation

Looking to mount a new tonearm on my Empire 398. After googling the topic to death I haven't come across a definitive source for information. I am considering a Rega arm or one of the Rek-O-Kut ones at Esoteric Sounds.

Any opinions and "how to" advice is appreciated. I'm handy with tools, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before enlarging/drilling hole in the plinth.

Better to ask now rather than have a "what's the best method for plugging a hole on a 398 plinth" thread!

The Rega arm mounts at 222mm, which will put you kind of off the plinth or at the edge, so you will kind of have a mess using that arm. You should try to find an arm that is closer at fitting into the Empire's spindle to pivot distance which I think is 8.25" (209-210mm) range.

I think that the Rek-O-Kut arms were designed very close to the Empire 980 and that might be a better (less hassle) option.

In my research I found that all of the standard Linn arms (Basik, Basik+, Akito, Ittok, Ekos) are the closest to the geometry of the original Empire 980/990 arms.

Linn Effective Length / Pivot to Spindle: 229mm/211mm
Empire Effective Length / Pivot to Spindle: 228.6mm/211.3mm

To mount one to the Empire plinth you simply need to enlarge the center hole slightly, and drill 3 mounting screw holes in a pattern opposite the mounting holes for the Empire arm...

I put an Audiomods on my 208. The Audiomods has the same geometry as Rega. I did drill a new mounting hole with a 1" circle saw bit using my drill press. I then made a 1/4 " mounting plate out of wood which I screwed to the plinth from below. Neat and tidy and the VTA can be adjusted quite easily. I have a Jelco (370?) on my Rek O Kut which is the same as the Sumiko MMT I believe, and that is a nice arm for the money.

The Audiomods kit is the best bang for the buck way into a really nice arm, IMHO, though it is a lot of work if you want the polished look, and , IMHO, a drill press is necessary to drill the holes in the tone arm.

In my research I found that all of the standard Linn arms (Basik, Basik+, Akito, Ittok, Ekos) are the closest to the geometry of the original Empire 980/990 arms.

Linn Effective Length / Pivot to Spindle: 229mm/211mm
Empire Effective Length / Pivot to Spindle: 228.6mm/211.3mm

To mount one to the Empire plinth you simply need to enlarge the center hole slightly, and drill 3 mounting screw holes in a pattern opposite the mounting holes for the Empire arm...

Your post linked in your sig was exactly what I needed to see. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom