Empire 600LAC MM

scottyh777

My new favorite MM cartridge of all time (for this Month) is the Empire 600LAC.Has to be one of the smoothest,quitest,epic like MM I have ever heard.Here are some pics with it mounted to Sony PS-X75.The series for this Empire run is listed below.I also have two of the 500 ID and that is a great MM cart as well.Can't comment on anything below that as I have never heard them.100S would be the budjet in the series I would imagine.

600LAC
500 ID
400TC
300ME
200E
100S

Attachments

• P1000450.jpg
    P1000450.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 119
  • P1000451.jpg
    P1000451.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 106
  • P1000452.jpg
    P1000452.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
I've heard great things about the 600LAC and I've intended to either find the cart or just get the stylus to try in my 500ID, which I agree is excellent.

Agreed on the virtues of the 600LAC. It made me forget about LOMC cartridges and I haven't looked back. Very similar in presentation are the 900GT and LTD750 (which I own, and use the same lac stylus, or any other stylus from the line underneath the 600LAC).

Here is mine, on my Jelco arm/Russco MkV and a link to an AK image of my Thorens TD 150.

I don't know the 400TC but I found a NOS Empire stylus that I like on my LTD750, for next to no $$$. Similar in sound to me, overall, as compared to the 500ID stylus.

Jim

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3279354&postcount=44

Attachments

• 600_Lac.jpg
    600_Lac.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 59
My new favorite MM cartridge of all time (for this Month) is the Empire 600LAC................

I'm the original owner of one, have had it for 25 years. It has been my favorite for many of those months :>)

That Sony arm is probably a nice match for it.

Agreed on the virtues of the 600LAC. It made me forget about LOMC cartridges and I haven't looked back. Very similar in presentation are the 900GT and LTD750 (which I own, and use the same lac stylus, or any other stylus from the line underneath the 600LAC).

Here is mine, on my Jelco arm/Russco MkV and a link to an AK image of my Thorens TD 150.

I don't know the 400TC but I found a NOS Empire stylus that I like on my LTD750, for next to no $$$. Similar in sound to me, overall, as compared to the 500ID stylus.

Like the setup there.Very nice.Agree with the above about dispensing of the LOMC.I did the same.Very satisfied with the 600lAC.Seems like a keeeper.

Just another thought I had.Makes me wonder how the 600LAC would compare to the $699 ortofon 2mm black.Would be interesting to see how the vintage Empire would stack up against modern high $$$$$$ moving magnet.

Just another thought I had.Makes me wonder how the 600LAC would compare to the $699 ortofon 2mm black.Would be interesting to see how the vintage Empire would stack up against modern high $$$$$$ moving magnet.

It would lose against the 600 LAC. 600 LAC is one of the best carts ever made imo. And the stylus is very nice. Shibata type yet with a larger area of contact.
.3 x 3. Detailed yet smooth. Dynamic in areas yet quiet. It's my favorite to this day. Even against more expensive vintage, at least for me, it does it right and I prefer it.

Another back from the past... they keep coming. Yep the entire LAC lineup was something special in my opinion.

Another back from the past... they keep coming. Yep the entire LAC lineup was something special in my opinion.

Let me ask you something though. Did the LACs, specifically the 600 stylus seem to lean a little back? As in the tip. Like more of a 92 degree angle or more appearance wise? I mounted my 600 again after I took a break and moved. And I'm not sure if this is fine or not. I can't even remember what it looked like before. It's all aligned and overhang etc. I'm just wondering of the vta or rake looks off to you. Thanks. Really appreciate it . My nerves have been shot lately, father is sick.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-162801_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-162801_QuickPic.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 25
Let me ask you something though. Did the LACs, specifically the 600 stylus seem to lean a little back? As in the tip. Like more of a 92 degree angle or more appearance wise? I mounted my 600 again after I took a break and moved. And I'm not sure if this is fine or not. I can't even remember what it looked like before. It's all aligned and overhang etc. I'm just wondering of the vta or rake looks off to you. Thanks. Really appreciate it . My nerves have been shot lately, father is sick.

Yep. Nevermind It was off. Had to adjust the tonearm There's that sound. Midrange was gone for a min and it was too much bass. Didn't wtf was up. Definitely was off to much . Thanks anyway guys

Let's get this party started Mullard and Empire style

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-181622_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-181622_Gallery.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20190225-172500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-172500_Gallery.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 29
You can always shim it and keep the tonearm level if it makes you feel better although it's not something I would too concerned with.

You can always shim it and keep the tonearm level if it makes you feel better although it's not something I would too concerned with.

It's really not even off that much. And this is with a 180 gram record. What u think?

Attachments

• 20190226_204554.jpg
    20190226_204554.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 22
What table is that? Beautiful. I think it should be fine as is.

Appreciate it. It's a JVC QL-A75 . Love it. Have had it for a long time Driving myself frigging crazy though. Idi if it sounds better now even though the rake angle looks better and the azimuth. Idk man.. Frustrated all of a sudden. I wish I knew if this was supposed to have an angle a bit like the original pic I showed u. It's a pain in the ass to mess with VTA on this so I dorn want to keep going back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom