Empire E20 cartridge?

Tonyqt

i just picked up a turntable and this cartridge was on it. Empire E20. I did a search and can't find a thing about it, just some replacement stylus. Anyone know anything about it?
Thanksimage.jpeg

It belongs to a 1980s series of cartridges I've nicknamed "chunkies". One or two bodies given many many different names, about six styli, also given different names and colors. Confusing, but we've managed to straighten out the largest kinks in the Big Empire Thread. The E20 was the entry-level elliptical.

Walt, did you get the "Chunkies" nickname from the Chunky candy or just because the later Empires are "chunky"? And, can we use the nickname "Squirt Gun Stylus" series for the many different colored clear Empire styli when those many different colored clear squirt guns were contemporary to the Empires? Wow, that would pretty much cover all of them from the 2000E series to the end of production, though.

Doug

Not from Arnold Stang and the Chunky candy bar directly, but old memories must have played a part. I was amused by the current trend in car styling to look "muscular" and "brutish", and it seemed the stylist (not stylus!) of this series of Empires (originally called "Dynamic Interface", even sillier than "Chunkies", to my diseased mind), in putting an outsize mounting cap on what's basically a slimmed-down previous-generation body, was trying to make them look capable and important and substantial.
Naturally, almost immediately I came up with the nickname, I discovered many more cartridges having a far greater right to be termed chunky. Oh well.

Well, enough reminiscing. Here's the chart for the series that includes the E 20. In many ways, these are updated versions of the well-known Empire 2000E series.

Empire Studio Series aka Euro line of Dynamic Interface cartridges-crop.jpg

If you can find an original S44E, that would be great-- it's the best stylus for the E 20 body. But original styli are hard to find. I've had good luck in the past with the 4241-DID generic from thevoiceofmusic.com, known to have topnotch customer service.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom