Empire Royal Grenadier 9000M speakers

Any assessment of a speaker MUST be made with the speaker restored to original specifications. Otherwise, the assessment is not really of that particular speaker as manufactured.

Doug
And in the proper environment (room and placement).

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll be waiting for a pair of the 9000M one day... we'll see. Thanks. PS: Never dealt with this fellow before however I have dealt with a few other BSA off CAM and Kijiji... they float around everywhere I guess.

Got lucky on CAM week before last,I scored a Michell Gyro SE & HR PSU. Seller was actually ''normal'' and an absolute pleasure to deal with. The shock almost killed me...

There's a pair of 6000's on Canuck,but the seller is a real BSA.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll be waiting for a pair of the 9000M one day... we'll see. Thanks. PS: Never dealt with this fellow before however I have dealt with a few other BSA off CAM and Kijiji... they float around everywhere I guess.
Okay I give up. Just spent an hour looking for BSA meaning. Not in Abbreviations thread in General Audio Discussion and net versions don't seem to fit. What does BSA mean???

Yeah I've talked to that guy (with the 6000's) and came to the same conlusion. He has a ton of ads running for years on various sites.

I'm new to the vast and often hilarious world of hifi and I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a pair of 9000s that I'm hoping are in good functional shape. I love Empire as it is the brand that has been highly touted by my mentor in tube audio. These will be excellent additions to my '61 208. Thank you all for the helpful info in this thread.

My mom has a pair of these in absolutely vintage shape - except one of the speaker wires needs to be replaced. The marble tops are perfect. They were her brothers and she has just stores them. Sad. Maybe she will let me have them.

There are actually a surprisingly large number of these around. I guess they sold quite well. There's a pair not too far from here (Nashville) I might have to check out just for the hell of it.

I sold my Ads 910 and replaced the with Empire 9000's and I consider it an upgrade. They're extremely efficient, the only speakers that I've own that aren't dwarfed out by my Klipschorns. I run them with the Khorns and the combo is magic. So much that I picked up another pair of 9000's just in case.

I sold my Ads 910 and replaced the with Empire 9000's and I consider it an upgrade. They're extremely efficient, the only speakers that I've own that aren't dwarfed out by my Klipschorns. I run them with the Khorns and the combo is magic. So much that I picked up another pair of 9000's just in case.

Does anyone else have an experience with them like that? I’d ask MrJack but he’s posted a total of 3 times. There are a pair locally that I’d at least check out if I’m missing something by not owning them.

The odds are pretty good that the owners of these in the 70's also had clear vinyl covers on their sofas. Unlike regular box speakers (aka, KLH 6's) the styling did not age well. Just my opinion.

The odds are pretty good that the owners of these in the 70's also had clear vinyl covers on their sofas. Unlike regular box speakers (aka, KLH 6's) the styling did not age well. Just my opinion.
Yeah, that’s totally possible lol, but ultimately I do care more about sound than looks. That said, they’re pretty ugly, definitely wouldn’t fit into any decor in my home, and would need some work cosmetically, if not internally. When you add to that the things that I’ve read about them, like them being picky about placement and the room size and acoustics, I’m not going to be heartbroken to take a pass on them. I guess it was probably posts that compared them to Klipschorns and said they were an upgrade to speakers like A/D/S (which are held in pretty high esteem) that piqued my interest. Then again it was a guy who’s posted 3x, and he may have just been saying good things about them online because he was trying to sell a pair, who knows. For what they’re asking though it’s probably not worth my time

Hi everyone,

I came across this pair of speakers http://postimg.org/image/8xvdmvj77/85c40457/
85c40457
, and can't find anything like like them online. As in wall-mounted grenadiers.

Do we think that someone butchered a pair of the tubular ones and made these, or are they actually a thing?

I know this is an old thread, but I came across you comment on the wall mounted version. I actually have a pair. There is a history of Empire story done by PS Audio in which these speakers were mentioned in existence or advertised. I don’t think they ever made it to production and possibly only a few prototypes were actually made. Anyway here is a picture, they are gorgeous in my opinion. I am eventually planning on posting them on the bay. Cheers

Attachments

• 7E9F86A0-83BC-41B0-B7CB-EACE73D72886.jpeg
    7E9F86A0-83BC-41B0-B7CB-EACE73D72886.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 39
I have a pair of 8000P's I picked up last year for a song. At first they sounded muted and had some funny buzzing, but the longer I played them, the better they sound. Apparently they had not been used for a long time and they just needed "exercising". I received the rebuild info from Claude, and even purchased all of the capacitors for a full rebuild, but the way they sound now, I am hesitant to touch them. Instead I am lusting after a beautiful pair of 9000P's for sale on Craigslist, trying to justify buying them. Oh - yes I live in an old house with high ceilings and hardwood floors.

Hello bonkur, I know this is a old thread but I'm hoping you can help me with the information you have received from Claude Cain. I tried emailing him and also tried calling him only to find his number is no longer in service. I do hope he is well. If you could pass the information on the Empire 9000's he sent you I would be most thankful.
Thanks

Empire Scientific Model 8200 Imperial Grenadier bookshelf speakers
I found a pair of these for sale and was curious about them. Never seen them before. All the information I find is about the 9000's and very little about the 8200 bookshelf model.
Very interesting speakers from what I did find. I have a collection of bookshelf speakers and was considering buying these. But I was wondering if the cloth surrounds were available for the 12" woofer.
Has anyone heard them before and how did they sound?
If am lucky enough to get them, I will post some photos under a separate thread.

Way back earlier in this thread, reference was made to Radio Shack; they did have a pair of speakers from late 60's/early 70's that had the look of the Empires, but were not a clone. The Optimus-6 had one 10" woofer and two 2 1/2" tweeters, similar to the Optimus-1. It had a well made octagonal cab, manufactured in Japan, possibly by Foster. The speakers had a high WAF, and we sold a good amount to GI's in the ASA electronics training school at Fort Devens. They sounded pretty good, were our highest priced speaker at the time!

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/realistic-optimus-6-deconstructed.693248/

I had a pair of 6000's back in 2014/15. All original, no marble tops. In great shape. Very unique, vintage looking speakers. Not bad sounding, not great either imo. They make for great end tables and blend in with surrounding furniture quite nicely. It's not typical to see sellers asking for $200-$300 a pair for these here in Canada (with marbles tops). If they get that is another story and it's not uncommon for the ad to stay up for weeks on end. Frankly I didn't need another pair of speakers and ended up selling my pair for around $60 (even then it took a while to pass them off).

Back
Top Bottom