Enclosure help!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by nick parkin, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:06 PM.

1. nick parkin

nick parkin AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hello y'all.

I have 4 pairs of coral holey baskets and was wondering of anyone has any experience with various enclosure types and can describe their sound. I really love the imaging and openness of open baffle speakers, however I would like to enhance the bass and was wondering if a Transmission line would be adequate, Each speaker would have 4 corals in a line. I was thinking a sideways T-line but was wondering what the nature of a transmission line speakers sound is?

Like I said I love open baffle, but I want enhanced bass.

Thoughts?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Superampman

Superampman AK Member Subscriber

3. nick parkin

Thats a possibility however I would prefer to design an enclosure to enhance the bass. What I need to know is how does a T-line sound compared to open baffle.

4. Superampman

Superampman AK Member Subscriber

You can design your own sub. Whether it's TL or not, the difference will be it's dynamic impact. OB does no justice to the size of driver, hence your desire to enhance it. The best transient impact will be closed box, then bass reflex(ported). TL is not really about impact but extension.

5. absolon

absolon Super Member

With 4" speakers, there isn't much bass impact to be had. Extension, in the form of TLs, is the best chance for perceptible bass. Running them with a subwoofer is the best chance for dynamic impact.

OP, you've asked this question six ways to Sunday and you've had plenty of answers. Time for you to do a little learning about what you've been told; the answers aren't going to be any different no matter how many times you repeat the question.

darkblue94 and JoeESP9 like this.
  6. nick parkin

Two things,
    These corals actually have decent bass and I’ll be having 4 of them. Like this surprising how good the bass is.

Also on my last 3 posts with this same question i’ve gotten no answers which is why I posted it again. Unless theres some server error and no responses are being displayed on my screen but ive been checking it religiously and ive literally gotten zero responses until now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM

7. reydelaplaya

reydelaplaya AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you're planning on building something, I'd suggest having a look at this site here: http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp Odds are someone already mentioned it in another thread, but I haven't been through those so IDK.

You'll just need to put in all sorts of parameters of your drivers, and it'll take care of the rest as far as basic, but optimal, cabinet design. Good luck!

8. absolon

absolon Super Member

I know exactly what this driver sounds like. I'm currently using four of them in a bass maximizing enclosure I've already linked you to plans for.

Perhaps you got no answers on the last thee posts but you got more than sufficient the first four times you posted to give you the lay of the land. You will not get deep or substantial or dynamic bass from the drivers. You've had plenty of good advice and directions to further reading. Time for you to do some followup on the recommendations. Once you've got a plan figured out, I'm sure others will be happy to help with specifics.

darkblue94 likes this.
  9. nick parkin

I would probably do a W horn like the Klipsch does with my 8” tympany ne225w

10. nick parkin

no no no. This post is a little different as I am looking at the nature of the sound. I know how open baffle differs between a box but I do not know how a t-line or horn loaded sounds compared to an open baffle. that is what im asking, how is the nature of the sound

11. nick parkin

Dosent yours have two on each speaker? I want to use four of them so I can minimize stress on them at higher volumes.

12. absolon

absolon Super Member

13. merdy

merdy AK Subscriber Subscriber

the drivers will never play any realistic sounds under 70 hz with any alignment,it's fs is around 90 hz
    Having 4 drivers in a line array will cause a bit of comb filtering and you can add some tweeters and a crossover to correct this but that kills the whole full range quality,you will gain some extra power though.
    My favorite version was a small sealed box above a tapered horn sub crossed at 100hz ,it was bi amped
    here are another set of designs ,so you can make 4 different designs and experiment,what amps do you use for these drivers?
    http://www.frugal-phile.com/boxes-fostex.html
    IMG_0333.JPG