Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers

My experience with the 22 line of speakers is give them as much clean power as you can. The more power they get the better they sound.

My experience with the 22 line of speakers is give them as much clean power as you can. The more power they get the better they sound.

can I get a suggestion for a older reciever to look for to drive these babies?

something in it's period that Would match up with High, Clean power.

The only receiver I ever powered mine with was a big Sansui G-22000. Other than that I've used power amps. I'm not sure that old receivers are really up to the task if you want to get the most out of them.

If your set on going old school I'd be looking at least at a good integrated amp. Some of the old Sansui's sounded very nice, were well built and should be up to the task. I'd recommend 100 wpc as a minimum. But a good pre/power amp combo would best and the era it's from doesn't really matter

I use a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver. Rated at 105 wpc so it's not a wimp by late 70s standards. I enjoy the sound, but people keep telling me I would notice notice a difference in quality if I upgraded to a cleaner and more powerful amp. For now I'm happy with what I have and I ignore them, but I think an upgrade will be in the works at some point.

I've been debating whether to spring for one of the new Bryston 4B SST2s, which would have plenty of reserve power on tap. However, with the 9B I'd get 5-channel at 140wpc, which would finally allow me to combine HT and stereo setups into one convenient amp. That's been something I've always looked at and it's become more tempting for me lately.

greg

One question, folks:

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how to run the matched pairs - tweeter inside or out?

I've always run the Reference 22s tweeters-in. (As you can see in the pics the Ref Cons were tweeters-out, but that was an in-transit shot and it just sort of accidently happened that way when they first went in the room.) But I can't remember having any solid reason for setting them up tweeters-in; I don't know whether someone told me to do that, or what!

I didn't notice any immediate difference in sound in the brief time I had them tweeters-out, but on the other hand I wasn't looking for it, either. I have trouble thinking such a small difference would have a noticeable affect on sound. But, can anyone correct me on that?

Thanks
Greg

One question, folks:

Does anyone have a definitive answer on how to run the matched pairs - tweeter inside or out?

I've always run the Reference 22s tweeters-in. (As you can see in the pics the Ref Cons were tweeters-out, but that was an in-transit shot and it just sort of accidently happened that way when they first went in the room.) But I can't remember having any solid reason for setting them up tweeters-in; I don't know whether someone told me to do that, or what!

I didn't notice any immediate difference in sound in the brief time I had them tweeters-out, but on the other hand I wasn't looking for it, either. I have trouble thinking such a small difference would have a noticeable affect on sound. But, can anyone correct me on that?

Thanks
Greg

The tweeters go inside. It was written on the plastic plate on the bottom of my Conns. Which BTW was the stupidest place and type of connector in the history of the universe.

marc mc

Ahhhh okay...I don't think I have a plastic plate on mine - perhaps because it wasn't a for-sale model?

In either case, I'm not going to look - because that would involve going through the idiotic process of tipping the speaker over onto a blanket.... :no: :D

look next to the terminals under the speakers inside that little plastic cup..."left" or "right" is near the serial number.

Mine don't have any plastic cup. Under the speaker is just the terminals. There's no serial number or plastic cup of any kind.

Either my theory is right and these don't have a serial because they were built for the audio show and weren't meant to be sold...or else they're fake. :D

greg

As an update to that: if anyone could get me a picture of the bottom of their 22 Ref Cons, I'd certainly appreciate it. I'd be interested in seeing what the difference is. I've seen others before, but never thought to turn them over and take a look. I know it's a real pain in the ass, so you'd have my thanks!

I'll try and get a shot of the bottoms of mine as well, as soon as I can. I'm mildly curious as to what else might be different in mine. I've never taken the tweeters out because I had no reason to - but since I'll be getting them rebuilt this fall anyway, I'll take some comparison shots of the innards when I get them out.

I am a bit late to the party, but I would like to add my 2 pence.

I bought a set of the Energy Pro 22s back in the late 1980's, paid $1,000 USD, they were the oak veneered (including the front) version. Wonderful speakers!

I sold them 2 years later to purchase a set of Bose 901 Series VI's, what was I thinking?!!! Big mistake!

About 3 years ago I came across a near mint set of Pro 22's in a local pawn shop for $90, took them home and they have been, and will remain my main speakers. I have them hooked up to an H/K 730 receiver and an H/K 7500 cdp and a KLH Research Ten turntable with Shure M75E cartridge. Lovely sound!

I have not come across any other speakers that sound sweeter to me than the Energy Pro 22's. I wish they still made them.

As an update to that: if anyone could get me a picture of the bottom of their 22 Ref Cons, I'd certainly appreciate it. I'd be interested in seeing what the difference is. I've seen others before, but never thought to turn them over and take a look. I know it's a real pain in the ass, so you'd have my thanks!

I'll try and get a shot of the bottoms of mine as well, as soon as I can. I'm mildly curious as to what else might be different in mine. I've never taken the tweeters out because I had no reason to - but since I'll be getting them rebuilt this fall anyway, I'll take some comparison shots of the innards when I get them out.

heres what they look like....not mine, mine have white cups

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 114
Ahh, okay.

Mine is exactly like that, but without the cups. It's just a wooden groove. I suppose could be the cup was originally there and then taken out on both, but not sure why anyone would go through the trouble of doing that.

Thanks for the pics! You've got quite a store of them it seems.... :D

Greg

Ahh, okay.

Mine is exactly like that, but without the cups. It's just a wooden groove. I suppose could be the cup was originally there and then taken out on both, but not sure why anyone would go through the trouble of doing that.

Thanks for the pics! You've got quite a store of them it seems.... :D

Greg

I wish, That was just a pic I saved after seeing them for sale, was considering buying them, they were a Birdseye maple finish. I just have a pair of pro 22, and a pebble black pair of conns

I use a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver. Rated at 105 wpc so it's not a wimp by late 70s standards. I enjoy the sound, but people keep telling me I would notice notice a difference in quality if I upgraded to a cleaner and more powerful amp....

I Don't know if it is better than the nad 1600 preamp and audio design PA100 Power Amp I was using, But I Replace them with a Bryston B100SST 100 wpc Integrated and the sound difference was dramatic to say the least. 100 watts is plenty of power for those speakers. I have no problem filling my 21' living room to neer club levels with this amp, and feeling the base through the floors.

If you want a real treat, Add a Magnum Dynalab Hybred Analog FM tuner with the optional Kimber Silver Internal wiring (I have their MD100T). This combnation is glorious. Overall this tuner sounds better than my Denon CD transport and a highly rated $1,300 DAC. I'm seriously considering sending the tuner back to have their DAC Module installed for the Warmth of its 2 x Triode Tubes when playing CD's.

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I brought a pair of Refence 22's recently. They must be at least 20+ years old but you would swear they look brand new. They have the black woodgrain finish and are on stands. I auditioned these speakers against modern speakers but instantly fell in love with the sound of the 22's. I had to have them. I've sent the tweeters off to Chris Coote to rebuild as I want these speakers to last. Whilst I am waiting for the return of the tweeters should I upgrade the cross over as well? I notice there is some information regarding this on this forum however mainly to do with the cons. Would anyone have any information on the Reference 22's cross over and what would be a recommended upgrade? I contacted Solen in Canada but surprisingly they knew nothing of these speakers. I don't want to go pulling out the cross over from my speakers at this stage until I have some idea of what I should be doing. Any help would be most appreciated.

One question, folks:

Thanks
Greg

The logic behind "tweeters-in" is that it reduces sidewall reflections. That may or may not be important, depending on your room, speaker position, etc.

Back
Top Bottom