Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers

Hi guys,
Great information on this thread. Just got mine pro 22 ones couple of months ago and enjoying the sound so far. One thing I learned from this discussion is that I should be placing them tweeter inside, will do that but I have one more question about placement. Right now I have them toed in towards listening position. Is it correct way or they should be placed straight?

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys!

Just found this thread and glad as I have a question: Anyone here would happen to have a spare Woofer for the 22 Ref Connoisseur? If not, anyone know where I can find one would be very much appreciated.

If i'm not mistaken aslo, all woofers from the Energy 22 series from Ref to Pro to Connoisseur even though they look the same but I believe they're all different in a way right? Meaning one won't feet to another???

Any helpful feedback or pointers are welcome

Best,

Hi guys!

Just found this thread and glad as I have a question: Anyone here would happen to have a spare Woofer for the 22 Ref Connoisseur? If not, anyone know where I can find one would be very much appreciated.

If i'm not mistaken aslo, all woofers from the Energy 22 series from Ref to Pro to Connoisseur even though they look the same but I believe they're all different in a way right? Meaning one won't feet to another???

Any helpful feedback or pointers are welcome

Best,

Woofers were all the same. As were the tweeters. Later generation pro 22 tweeters had a thick plastic 4 hole frame instead of the 3 hole aluminum version. The front ported Reference 22's and Connoisseur's were just matched to 1/8 db tolerance.

Woofers were all the same. As were the tweeters. Later generation pro 22 tweeters had a thick plastic 4 hole frame instead of the 3 hole aluminum version. The front ported Reference 22's and Connoisseur's were just matched to 1/8 db tolerance.
Hello @mikeybc

Thank you every so much for your quick reply and detailed about how the woofer where matched on the Ref 22 & Connoisseur. Really appreciate. I already got my Ref 22 that I really really love, stunning speaker and getting my Connoisseur soon too.

Happy Thanksgiving mate ;-)

Why didn’t klipsch keep energy as a premier brand? They seem like they kept there high price but that’s about it.
Did you get the speakers,?

Why didn’t klipsch keep energy as a premier brand? They seem like they kept there high price but that’s about it.
Did you get the speakers,?

Sometimes you wonder honestly why Klipsch or who ever owned Energy 22 speakers brand abandoned these amazing speakers. What I mean here is that the Energy 22 Ref were back in the days Studio Monitors used all over high end recording studios all over canada and much more etc.. I also know that Energy 22 speakers kept being produced but seems from what I read that not near close to the classic 22 Ref or Ref Connoisseur etc... The Pro 22 weren't that much used in recording studio. My 22 Ref were taken way back at Radio Canada Recording studios here in Montreal when they decided to upgrade or change their whole system. Totally understand as technology evolve etc.. but I still believe whoever owns Energy line, should consider bringing back these amazing speakers based on the original state mixed with today better Capacitors upgrades etc....

Just my thoughts...

And yes I got my Ref 22 Connoisseur, maaaaan sublime ;-)

Sometimes you wonder honestly why Klipsch or who ever owned Energy 22 speakers brand abandoned these amazing speakers. What I mean here is that the Energy 22 Ref were back in the days Studio Monitors used all over high end recording studios all over canada and much more etc.. I also know that Energy 22 speakers kept being produced but seems from what I read that not near close to the classic 22 Ref or Ref Connoisseur etc... The Pro 22 weren't that much used in recording studio. My 22 Ref were taken way back at Radio Canada Recording studios here in Montreal when they decided to upgrade or change their whole system. Totally understand as technology evolve etc.. but I still believe whoever owns Energy line, should consider bringing back these amazing speakers based on the original state mixed with today better Capacitors upgrades etc....

Just my thoughts...

And yes I got my Ref 22 Connoisseur, maaaaan sublime ;-)
The new energy use a near full range driver I think . Shame I didn’t have my onkyo when I tested them I went with klipsch.
I like the look of new energy but sound is probably not as good is old ones . Chane speakers look better .
Sucks you can’t hear online only speakers like chane , And other brands .

These are the ones I returned https://www.energy-speakers.com/bookshelf-speakers/?sku=CB-20
Almost regret it tho not sure if klipsch icon wasn’t better or not.

Last edited:
@ultumax

Can't really say about new energy versus vintage ones like the 22 Ref or Conn as I never yet heard the new ones to do an A/B test. But i'm looking forward to find a pair do be able to do so. But I'm pretty certain new ones depends on the series all sound great etc.. but I believe there's a reason why the 22 Ref or Conn still have their praise till today's DNA and respect and sonic love.

These CB-20 look like a little nice pair though ;) As long as you're enjoying them, that's what matter.

Best,

I'll share some pics of my 22 Ref Conn when I finish double checking them up see if no issue at all internally with caps and drivers. Just pretty excited to have put my hands on a pair of these legends.

Picked these up for $50 a while back. Haven't done anything with them yet. I think I might need a new woofer :)

Picked these up for $50 a while back. Haven't done anything with them yet. I think I might need a new woofer :)
Daaaaaaaaaaamn, those looks beautiful meaning the cabinet is very niiice, imagine a nice wood refinish and work would make these looks stunning. I hope you get to fix them because they are more than worth especially if you got them for 50$. I swear, make a project and find the right parts originals or fix what can work fixed and keep as much possible the originals and you'll have one of the stunning sounding speakers ever made.

Nice grab ;-)

By the way guys, quikc question regarding the Energy Reference line Tweeters. If a tweeter is dead or suddenly gone off, are they repairable or can be brought to life back again or it's a dead end, not even worth trying to fix the tweeter???

Reason I'm asking, yesterday I purchased another pair of Energy Ref 22 (not the connoisseur), and when I bought them, unfortunately (my mistake) I didn't try them before but the owner was the original owner since and he told me that all was working. Brought them home and later in the afternoon I decided to plug them to give a test drive and to my surprise, one of the speakers I noticed right away that the Tweeter was not working. I decided to switch another receiver just to make sure you know and still, I wrote the owner and he told me that everything was working, that he tried them before otherwise he would've mentioned the issue in his sale etc... seem to be honest etc., he even asked me to let him know what I wish to do, meaning if I wish refund etc... but I didn't pay much. I paid 60$ and the other pair is working perfectly. And I told myself I'll hold onto them to try to fix the tweeter or worst, as I already have another 22 Ref pair and Ref Connoisseur, I can keep these as a spare parts in case some happen.

But I still would love to know from some of you who have great experience with Energy Tweeters, what woudl you suggest, should I bring the speaker that have the death tweeter to someone who's special and knows how to revive these tweeters or its not even worth it???

Thanks a bunch for any advice ;-)

Happy friday

By the way guys, quikc question regarding the Energy Reference line Tweeters. If a tweeter is dead or suddenly gone off, are they repairable or can be brought to life back again or it's a dead end, not even worth trying to fix the tweeter???

Reason I'm asking, yesterday I purchased another pair of Energy Ref 22 (not the connoisseur), and when I bought them, unfortunately (my mistake) I didn't try them before but the owner was the original owner since and he told me that all was working. Brought them home and later in the afternoon I decided to plug them to give a test drive and to my surprise, one of the speakers I noticed right away that the Tweeter was not working. I decided to switch another receiver just to make sure you know and still, I wrote the owner and he told me that everything was working, that he tried them before otherwise he would've mentioned the issue in his sale etc... seem to be honest etc., he even asked me to let him know what I wish to do, meaning if I wish refund etc... but I didn't pay much. I paid 60$ and the other pair is working perfectly. And I told myself I'll hold onto them to try to fix the tweeter or worst, as I already have another 22 Ref pair and Ref Connoisseur, I can keep these as a spare parts in case some happen.

But I still would love to know from some of you who have great experience with Energy Tweeters, what woudl you suggest, should I bring the speaker that have the death tweeter to someone who's special and knows how to revive these tweeters or its not even worth it???

Thanks a bunch for any advice ;-)

Happy friday

Contact Chris here: abitech.ca
He's the Energy restoration expert and can certainly help you out.
Good luck!

Thanks @BroonsBane for sharing the specs.

I'll keep in mind Chris contact in case. I already got my Energy Ref tweeter fixed. All back to normal and sounding excellent. I'll be sending my Ref Connoisseur soon to get the Tweeters refilled with Ferofluid that way they don't dry out and they should be fine for another years ahead.

Great speakers indeed. Just love them ;-)

Happy New Year 2019 folks Health above all and music & goodness ;-)

Finally Got my 22's up and running. Mine had a roached woofer. I got a set of replacement woofers from fellow aker KrautnotRice... Big thanks to him! Man these are some of the best Energy speakers made period... I have these in the keeper pile!

Attachments

• E685F87B-ECE9-4A0F-A2CE-C28269E8A1BE.jpeg
    E685F87B-ECE9-4A0F-A2CE-C28269E8A1BE.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 38
  • F8B41221-FA60-4EE7-B55F-5F948284C293.jpeg
    F8B41221-FA60-4EE7-B55F-5F948284C293.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
Finally Got my 22's up and running. Mine had a roached woofer. I got a set of replacement woofers from fellow aker KrautnotRice... Big thanks to him! Man these are some of the best Energy speakers made period... I have these in the keeper pile!

Niiiiiiiiiiiice to see another fella AK user with a pair of great 22 Ref's. You're absolutely right about these being the BEST ever made Energy speakers ever since. I just don't understand why the company if it's still "API", why they aren't taking the time to reproduce an Anniversary version with the same specs, cabinets style etc... with of course maybe make the same Tweeters technolgy while making sure that they don't gets dry out fast during time, I'm positive many Audiophile users would jump and buy the Anniversary version in a heart beat including us (or me) who haven't experienced them way back in the 80's.

Trust me I got 3 pairs of Ref 22 + my Ref Connoisseur. I'm in heaven. They just sound sublime ;-)

Enjoy them & take good care of them too ;-)

Oh I know how special they are... I used to have a veneered set of 22's w/o grilles and I was afraid my little kids would damage the tweeters so I sold them off. I am into these for under 100.00 which is a steal IMHO!

Oh I know how special they are... I used to have a veneered set of 22's w/o grilles and I was afraid my little kids would damage the tweeters so I sold them off. I am into these for under 100.00 which is a steal IMHO!
Under 100$ thats truly a steal indeed. Great score mate ;-)

Back
Top Bottom