Engine type most often blown up, of all time?

GordonW

Speakerfixer
Subscriber
For no particular reason, I happened to muse on this thought recently- what engine type, of all types ever made, has had more examples blown up (catastrophic failure of some sort), than all others, throughout the history of the internal combustion engine?

My guess would be the Chrysler Hemi. Especially if you consider both the first (1950s- 241ci through 392ci) and second (1960s- 426ci) generations together, and all the variants made thereof, in the aftermarket.They've been produced in some form (factory and aftermarket) continuously, for over 60 years now, and most of those go into race cars (which have pretty exceptionally short engine life, naturally). Every Top Fuel and nitro Funny Car engine is built in this architecture- and those engine will regularly blow up, under the extreme use they're put through.

Here's one SPECTACULAR example:

Anyone got any ideas of any other candidates?

Regards,
Gordon.

For no particular reason, I happened to muse on this thought recently- what engine type, of all types ever made, has had more examples blown up (catastrophic failure of some sort), than all others, throughout the history of the internal combustion engine?

My guess would be the Chrysler Hemi. Especially if you consider both the first (1950s- 241ci through 392ci) and second (1960s- 426ci) generations together, and all the variants made thereof, in the aftermarket.They've been produced in some form (factory and aftermarket) continuously, for over 60 years now, and most of those go into race cars (which have pretty exceptionally short engine life, naturally). Every Top Fuel and nitro Funny Car engine is built in this architecture- and those engine will regularly blow up, under the extreme use they're put through.

Regards,
Gordon.

Pretty reasonable guess. Of course there's the standard Chevrolet Vega and various models of the Lada to consider.

I would pick the Chevy 350 base engine on shear numbers alone, and the cheapness that makes it a race engine for a lot of people.

In all, over 100,000,000 small-blocks (as of November 29, 2011) have been built in carbureted and fuel injected forms since 1955.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_small-block_engine

My next choice would be the Ford 302/5.0 base engine for all the above reasons.

Last edited:
Of course the most horrific engine failures are due to the type of fuel they are trying to burn. Nitro motors go "boom" in spectacular fashion. Nitrous Oxide engines are notorious for backfiring and blowing the intake manifold off.
If you have ever seen a nitro Harley blow up it's violent. Typically the cylinder vanishes and leaves the head hanging by the mount. I had a built Ironhead go in this fashion. The rear cylinder shredded like a balloon that had too much air in it. There were dozens of pieces about as big as a quarter laying around where the cylinder was. Almost broke the bike in two at WOT in high gear. It should of killed me.

Last edited:
Being someone who builds the Hemi (modern gen) on a regular basis as part of my business, I feel the Hemi does have that reputation. Although it depends mostly on application. Nitro engines (of which I have built zero) are often tore down and refreshed after every single run. And at over $12,000USD per run, you can see why I don't touch that application with a 10 foot pole! It is also important to note the reason why that design was chosen for Nitro. Back in the 60's and 70's. There was a machinist and engine builder by the name of Keith Black. Keith Black (in my opinion) was a genius. He designed 426 blocks that could handle a few Nitro runs when most other engines could not even make it one run....including factory made hemi's. The engine was completely redesigned and reinforced and methods he invented are still in use today in all makes of and manufacturers. For an independent privately owned shop to produce its own heads, blocks and other internal parts with no other financial support or engineering input is pretty dam special. Even so, his engines also failed, but usually could handle much more than other engines. There really is no comparison between a nitro engine and other race engines. Nitro engines have no cooling system, the blocks and heads have no coolant passages or water jackets. This "solid" alloy structure makes them much stronger, but allows for only very quick duty cycles of a minute or two.

Today, the engines I build have very little in common with a nitro engine or early gen Hemi's for that matter. My engines are designed to be reliable street engines that pass emissions and still make very high power since I specialize in street legal engines in the 1000+ HP range. The modern Hemi including the 5.7L, the 6.2L and the 6.4L 392 cubic inch engines were the first generation of push rod engines with variable valve timing. Which is great for fuel economy and moderate horsepower improvements. That being said, the method being used can cause inherent weaknesses. So when I build a 1000 horsepower hemi engine, there is very little original parts remaining in it. Other than the block and external accessories, it is a different engine. In mine, the connecting rods and pistons are different, the crank and cam are different. The heads are different, the fuel system is modified, the variable valve timing is limited to half of its stock range and the list goes on and on. I would not even think of running a stock 392 with my nitrous systems, it would not be long before major failures happened. Also, there are certain engineering flaws in the latest gen Hemi's that make them unsuitable for horsepower mods over 250 HP without pretty much starting from the beginning.

If you compare the modern 392 Hemi engines with other manufacturers in stock form, it can more than hold its own against other unmodified manufacturers internal combustion engines. Only when a supercharger is added do they have a chance against a modern 392 with an experienced driver. So if you look at the Hell Cat (completely different 6.2L engine) and its output with its massive 2.5L supercharger, other manufacturers had to scramble to build something to compete (which they did, and did well). I find it interesting that we seem to be in a horsepower battle similar to the one that took place in the 60's and early 70's with the only difference being better technology. We can do so much more now with so much less than they had back then due to technology, and lessons learned from brilliant men like Keith Black.

The reason why I chose Hemi's is supply and demand. Not many 392's are out there compared to other muscle manufacturers. I think for every 10 Hemi's made, there is only one 392, even though they share the base platform. The Hell Cat does not count, it has its own special design that does not share the same platform as the 5.7, 6.2 and 6.4L. I can't make any judgements or statements about the new Demon, I know nothing of it.
So, according to my business model, not many performance parts are being made for the 392 just like back in the muscle era. The myth of the big hemi has followed this modern design with half of its appeal being the reputation for power, rather than numbers on a dyno.

By the way, this is not a "pro" Mopar post. I think all modern American made muscle cars are true wonders of efficiency, power, speed, and public road handling.

In terms of failure-prone, I'd have to go with the 307 and 267 ci. iterations of the smallblock Chevy. I've blown up a couple each of these.

For a street car the Chevy Chevette I know 3 people who bought those new and every one of them tossed a connecting rod around 75,000. It makes the Vega seem ok with it's appetite for head gaskets.

Regards,
Gordon.

But like most things with a hemi... looks like he won despite the motor exploding into a million pieces.. LOL!

Being someone who builds the Hemi (modern gen) on a regular basis as part of my business, I feel the Hemi does have that reputation. Although it depends mostly on application. Nitro engines (of which I have built zero) are often tore down and refreshed after every single run. And at over $12,000USD per run, you can see why I don't touch that application with a 10 foot pole! It is also important to note the reason why that design was chosen for Nitro. Back in the 60's and 70's. There was a machinist and engine builder by the name of Keith Black. Keith Black (in my opinion) was a genius. He designed 426 blocks that could handle a few Nitro runs when most other engines could not even make it one run....including factory made hemi's. The engine was completely redesigned and reinforced and methods he invented are still in use today in all makes of and manufacturers. For an independent privately owned shop to produce its own heads, blocks and other internal parts with no other financial support or engineering input is pretty dam special. Even so, his engines also failed, but usually could handle much more than other engines. There really is no comparison between a nitro engine and other race engines. Nitro engines have no cooling system, the blocks and heads have no coolant passages or water jackets. This "solid" alloy structure makes them much stronger, but allows for only very quick duty cycles of a minute or two.

Today, the engines I build have very little in common with a nitro engine or early gen Hemi's for that matter. My engines are designed to be reliable street engines that pass emissions and still make very high power since I specialize in street legal engines in the 1000+ HP range. The modern Hemi including the 5.7L, the 6.2L and the 6.4L 392 cubic inch engines were the first generation of push rod engines with variable valve timing. Which is great for fuel economy and moderate horsepower improvements. That being said, the method being used can cause inherent weaknesses. So when I build a 1000 horsepower hemi engine, there is very little original parts remaining in it. Other than the block and external accessories, it is a different engine. In mine, the connecting rods and pistons are different, the crank and cam are different. The heads are different, the fuel system is modified, the variable valve timing is limited to half of its stock range and the list goes on and on. I would not even think of running a stock 392 with my nitrous systems, it would not be long before major failures happened. Also, there are certain engineering flaws in the latest gen Hemi's that make them unsuitable for horsepower mods over 250 HP without pretty much starting from the beginning.

If you compare the modern 392 Hemi engines with other manufacturers in stock form, it can more than hold its own against other unmodified manufacturers internal combustion engines. Only when a supercharger is added do they have a chance against a modern 392 with an experienced driver. So if you look at the Hell Cat (completely different 6.2L engine) and its output with its massive 2.5L supercharger, other manufacturers had to scramble to build something to compete (which they did, and did well). I find it interesting that we seem to be in a horsepower battle similar to the one that took place in the 60's and early 70's with the only difference being better technology. We can do so much more now with so much less than they had back then due to technology, and lessons learned from brilliant men like Keith Black.

The reason why I chose Hemi's is supply and demand. Not many 392's are out there compared to other muscle manufacturers. I think for every 10 Hemi's made, there is only one 392, even though they share the base platform. The Hell Cat does not count, it has its own special design that does not share the same platform as the 5.7, 6.2 and 6.4L. I can't make any judgements or statements about the new Demon, I know nothing of it.
So, according to my business model, not many performance parts are being made for the 392 just like back in the muscle era. The myth of the big hemi has followed this modern design with half of its appeal being the reputation for power, rather than numbers on a dyno.

By the way, this is not a "pro" Mopar post. I think all modern American made muscle cars are true wonders of efficiency, power, speed, and public road handling.

Yes Direct injection ,late ignition timing and high compression ratios all made possible with fast microprocessor engine control modules . Add multi speed controlled transmissions cars are fun again !

You know you're having a crap (and very expensive!) day when your engine passes you on the way down the track:rflmao:

I'll chime in from a motorcycle perspective: Norton Commando 750 Combat. Kinda like riding a grenade with a loose pin.....

GM V6 (not sure which displacement/model) head gasket failures? Seen and heard about lots of these.

Based on my personal experience it would be the mid-90s Ford Exploder V6. That engine and A4LD transmission were a terrible pair. They were used in Ford Explorers, Rangers and their 2WD mini van.

It seemed like every 3,000 miles I had to change the oil and either replace head gaskets or have the transmission rebuilt. There was that and the pos AC in addition to body rust-through while it was still under the 36,000 mile 3-year warranty. That was all on my meticulously maintained by the book, garage kept 1992 Ford Exploder Eddie Bauer edition. Other than all that it was a nice vehicle at the time. As disappointed as I was in the reliability of that vehicle, I believe that Ford has come a long way since then and are far more reliable today.

I out ran a Honda S2000 through an exit ramp in Houston and then slowed back to civilized speed. He stayed in it and blew up just as he passed me. I felt sorry for him, but it was cool to hear and see a motor blowup right next to you. There was a stream of oil and engine bits coming out from underneath his car. Felt like I was racing NASCAR!

Back
Top Bottom