Enjoying My Nines

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
5dWWb9W.jpg

You spy correctly; They're simple 4" center to center wire drawer pulls with protective fiber washers on both sides of the rack mount ears. They are a bit on the thin side for my liking, but they do help when it becomes necessary to muscle these beasts around.

The ones that I think would look great on L-09Ms, are the Emtek 86325 in flat black, but at close to $50 for a set of four I just haven't justified it in my mind....yet.

untitled.png

Have you bought more 9s Sam?

Not lately. Getting hard to find.

I was looking at my serial numbers which are:

8101xx
8101xx
6401xx
6400xx
8100xx
8101xx
7600xx
7600xx

Can't make sense of them. The first digit implies three production runs. By all accounts, Nines were not big sellers. They were too big and too powerful when they came out which was just when the Monster Receiver era was coming to an end.

You spy correctly; They're simple 4" center to center wire drawer pulls with protective fiber washers on both sides of the rack mount ears. They are a bit on the thin side for my liking, but they do help when it becomes necessary to muscle these beasts around.

The ones that I think would look great on L-09Ms, are the Emtek 86325 in flat black, but at close to $50 for a set of four I just haven't justified it in my mind....yet.

View attachment 1428584

I like your black better than the optional Kenwood handles which were satin silver and looked a lot like KA-907 handles.

Mine are 7600XX. Got them about seven years ago. Found them in Arizona. I believe the seller found them at goodwill. Love them. Would like another back up pair but haven't found any yet found a beat up one on Craigslist in Dallas a few months ago and should have bought it. They power the B&W 804s quite nicely. Being L-09 owners is odd they are so good but few believe you because they have never heard them and likely never will.20180721_171047.jpg 20190210_141039.jpg

Mine are 7600XX. Got them about seven years ago. Found them in Arizona. I believe the seller found them at goodwill. Love them. Would like another back up pair but haven't found any yet found a beat up one on Craigslist in Dallas a few months ago and should have bought it. They power the B&W 804s quite nicely. Being L-09 owners is odd they are so good but few believe you because they have never heard them and likely never will.View attachment 1443508 View attachment 1443510

I think the rarity is because of bad timing and not quite right cosmetics. By 1980, the big bad receiver era was mostly over so 50 pound monoblocks would have been a tough sell. I also think Kenwood's cosmetics were a mistake. NAD had staked out the budget sector with gray faceplates and black knobs, which screamed budget like no other. The L-09M wasn't cheaply engineered so the choice of colors sent the wrong message. Kenwood would correct this gaff with the II series but sadly the L-09M was not carried over. The L-09M should have had been black with white meters like the L-07TII from the beginning. L's in satin silver and handles ala the KA-907 / KT-917 would have been gorgeous...and made the Nines far more valuable today.

I dont think they are really ugly just nothing that makes them stand out. You are right about the CII series they did look better. I dressed my L-07CII up and think it looks nice. Yes black 9s with white meters would have looked great.

I love the basic purposeful look of the L-09Ms, and I wonder if they look the way they do because they were part of the Laboratory series of gear. IMO they definitely have that lab gear look to them, and maybe that's what the designers were going for and not cheaping out.:dunno:

Back
Top Bottom