Entech Number Cruncher: "vintage" gear, still relevant?

DGA

The Entech Number Cruncher could plausibly be regarded as "vintage" gear now; it's twenty years old, after all, and prices are on the climb at that well-known auction site.

I've long been curious about this piece of gear but I've never owned one nor examined or heard one in use. Is the Number Cruncher obsolete at this point, wholly superseded by more worthy gear, or does it have some specific qualities that could account for its longevity?

For context, I'm interested in a good DAC on the dime, but I'm not in a hurry to buy one, which is how my interest in the Number Cruncher was rekindled. Suggestions (alternatives?) are very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

There are so many used DACs out there, I am wondering why you are looking at this particular one. Is it price alone?

There are so many used DACs out there, I am wondering why you are looking at this particular one. Is it price alone?
That's a good question.

I'm amused at the notion of a "vintage DAC." the Entech has been talked up so much it's something like the Concept 16.5 of DACs.

It's also The One that Got Away, since I missed the opportunity to buy one on the cheap a few years back, so it sticks in my memory as an irritant.

I've heard these were being dumped on the auction site for $50-70 years ago. I've never personally used one. But looking at the inputs alone, yes it is obsolete, and limited in use. At the price for the lone one I see on the auction site, yes there's too many choices that supersede this thing.

Reactions: DGA
I got both of my Parasound D/AC-1000 for less than that one on Ebay is going for.
And I got my Schiit modi optical for waaayyy less...

So no doubt there are some excellent older/used DAC's out there @ bargain basement prices.
All one has to do is keep looking daily and be ready to pull the trigger right away when the deals pop up.

To be honest I dont see anything that would make me want the no.cruncher over what I got now.
This despite the "mystique" surrounding that particular Entech DAC.

But if it's an itch you just gotta scratch,I totally understand.
I just feel there are better used DAC's out there for less $$.

FWIW

Bret P.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'll keep snooping. If I trip over one at the right price at an estate sale or whatever, I'll take it home.

That's a good question.

I'm amused at the notion of a "vintage DAC." the Entech has been talked up so much it's something like the Concept 16.5 of DACs.

It's also The One that Got Away, since I missed the opportunity to buy one on the cheap a few years back, so it sticks in my memory as an irritant.
The Entech was talked about 20 years ago because it was a novelty product at that time. If you find one for $5 or $10, so be it. You would be better served getting a modern, reliable DAC for a few dollars more.

The Entech was talked about 20 years ago because it was a novelty product at that time. If you find one for $5 or $10, so be it. You would be better served getting a modern, reliable DAC for a few dollars more.

Yes, I'm sure this is so. And if I see one offered for $10 US or under, I will snap it up. With that said...

It's still not clear to me why the Entech has been talked up to the extent it has been not only twenty years ago, but in the intervening years to the present, and not only at AK.I didn't even hear about this item until what, 2007 or 2008, when it was already retro, and I assume I'm not alone. Examples:

https://gizmodo.com/5833352/hey-audiophile-five-baller-vintage-amps-that-are-dirt-cheap/

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120354.0

Maybe it was because Entech got the jump on everyone else as far as stand alone DACs were concerned. Just like you remember your first car. It may have been a bomber but you were attached to it those many years ago.

Had one years ago, it was easily bettered by a first gen Airport Express. They're nothing but a nice aluminum paperweight now.

Had one years ago, it was easily bettered by a first gen Airport Express. They're nothing but a nice aluminum paperweight now.
Bull pucky!

I have the 205.2. It has limitations for sure -- only can handle up to 48Khz being the main one. But boy howdy, they make some soundstage magic on well mastered Redbook CDs. There's a good reason people still think highly of them.

Last edited:
I have the 205.2. It is so much better than my Schiit Bifrost it is not even close. It also easily beats my Nakamichi cdp2 with 1541's that I always thought sounded very good. I have it running between a sony es transport, a sony gx909es, and some ads 520's and the sound is magic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom